Engl e840/50 tube power amp. OPINIONS?

So what's your take on the Engl e840/50 stereo tube power-amp? Does it color the sound much? Is it ultra-quiet like the manual says? Are there better alternatives?

I like the weight (12 kg) and the wattage (50w) and the 5881 tubes are 6L6s which has my preference.

But will it also work when you're not a metal head?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Great amp, works with all kinds of sounds. Don't think it colors the sound too much. I only traded it because it was too heavy and I wanted to go SS.
I don't think it's ultra quiet, but it's....quiet :)

I know this is an old post ^^ But i bought last year this Power Amp in order to run with my Gt100 (N in a couple of months with a FXII XL+) in order to get this huge dynamic N warmth typical of tube amps but with a stereo setup in just one piece of gear ...I did a bunch of researches 4 months i was on the point to buy a Mesa Dynawatt coz 20W is enough 4 me but finally it was too hard to get one in a timely manner (N too pricey as well coz Mesa R) so i decided to head over one of these German beast ...N I wanna tell ya folks out there who R looking 4 a great tube PA that this one is just stEllar (N beyond any words) it give to the digital processing a very liquid, dark (but not too much IMO) N complex harmonic texture which is just orgasmic ...i bought it 2nd hand from a dude in my country with the preamp E530 (+ the rack case 3U) 4 a fraction of the brand new price (but almost as brand new i just had to change the 2 microphonic tubes in the preamp) i run it on a Peavey (bought as well from another dude outstocking few cabs) with Celestion G12K-80 speakers which R not adding some kind of strong EQ to your tone (such as the V30) ...i have now the best setup in the galaxy !!!!! The 840 is coloring your tone in the best way ...if not why buy a tube amp ? a solid state would be the way to go (N it would be not as heavy like hell)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom