Engaging Looper Affects The Tone! Why??

willowdale

Fractal Fanatic
Any of you notice this??

I like to record a short riff using the looper and then tweak the sound from there without playing my guitar. I've noticed an obvious difference in tone when engaging the looper. Why is this? I record my short loops in stereo.

When I record straight into Logic I hear the same sound as I get when playing the guitar thru my monitors, but what I hear when recording a loop in the Axe or listening back to the loop is a different tone for sure. Do any of you notice this??

I now just record a short loop in Logic & use the dry recorded signal to tweak my tones. I wish the Axe Fx looper didn't color the tone!

It doesn't color the tone something is wrong with your preset.

Can you post a jpeg of your grid?

IIRC, the volume of the loop is lower so you may need to raise the level in the block to compensate.

Thanks for the responses people.

I'm not home right now, so when I get back I'll get to the bottom of this.

Maybe the volume drop that Cliff speaks of freaks my ears out!!

IIRC, the volume of the loop is lower so you may need to raise the level in the block to compensate.
This

If you put the looper before the amp then it will be driving it with less input gain through the looper A good way to check this is to play a riff into the looper and toggle between bypass and active. When the looper is bypassed, play the same riff with your guitar live. Increase the output level of the looper until you have dialed it in. I think I raised mine +6.

The level of the looper is lower than the orig signal. You're just hearing a volume difference. Raise it up and it'll be the same. I had the same issue when I first tried it as well!

I think the mix value is. Because when you "layer up" the loops the sum of them gets to the volume one may wish for, as a final loop. That's just a possibility.
If the volume on the looper was 100% of the input of the looper, then the output would clip the moment you start to add loop two and three plus your main input the guitar going through it.

I don't know if this is correct, that's just my take on it. as in taking a chance i'm right :)

I have another Problem with the Looper and changing sound, but that does not affect the Volume:
When i play a loop for tweaking at the pitch (intellegent pitch shifter) then the pitcher will play other notes
when i play original or wehn i play the loop.

I think that's because of the tracking. The pitchshifter is very accurate but if the input of it changes slightly, it will be unfair to say the pitchshifter is unaccurate. Are you sure the pitchshifter is being fed the exact same input in both situations? As a "bi-effect" for accuracy in the pitch shifter (kind of ironic) my guess is that the more accurate it is, the less change is needed to track something else in the pitchshifter. If it's tracking something is this close to tracking something else, I think the gap could be as small as changing to your neckpickup from the bridgepickup.

Again I'm not sure about this, but that's what in general comes to mind. I really need to stop saying things I'm not sure about.

I have another Problem with the Looper and changing sound, but that does not affect the Volume:
When i play a loop for tweaking at the pitch (intellegent pitch shifter) then the pitcher will play other notes
when i play original or wehn i play the loop.

By default the pitch shifter tracks the note at the grid input, if you are not playing there's nothing to track.

Set the pitch detection to local poly to track the notes at the block input.

If you handle the looper with CC#s over midi, I would also check if the CC# for 'looper play' isn't assigned to other effects that also get engaged then.

the looper is playing, for i know because i hear it.
the pitch shifter input is set to local, or otherwise it would not play.

i´m not sure if the Tracking itseltf is the problem,
or if it is a problem with the interpretation from the intellegent pitch shifter

the pitch shifter input is set to local, or otherwise it would not play.

This is inaccurate if by "pitch shifter input" you mean "Pitch Source". It will still output sound on global w/ looper playback, but you'll get odd tone & wrong notes.

What is the "Pitch Source" parameter in the pitch block set to?

alright, this was inaccurate. i thought it was clear what i meant.
to say it accurate: the Pitch Source of my intellegent Pitch Shifter Block is set to "local".
since i have an axe2 with FW8, there is no "local mono" oder "poly" but just "local".

This

If you put the looper before the amp then it will be driving it with less input gain through the looper A good way to check this is to play a riff into the looper and toggle between bypass and active. When the looper is bypassed, play the same riff with your guitar live. Increase the output level of the looper until you have dialed it in. I think I raised mine +6.

Yeah +6 pretty much works for me. Thanks!

Raise your looper level by +6 everybody! Do It Now!!! lol

Back
Top Bottom