Energyball and Cygnus

psychomanteum7

Inspired
I’m contemplating upgrading to Cygnus before my band starts rehearsing for shows coming up in a few months.Does anyone have an impression of this amp with the new firmware? It’s my primary amp for this band. Thanks!

I’m contemplating upgrading to Cygnus before my band starts rehearsing for shows coming up in a few months.Does anyone have an impression of this amp with the new firmware? It’s my primary amp for this band. Thanks!
It was completely redone. I think it sounds better, but I thought the Energyball sounded like ass before. If your sound of built on this amp, I would either skip upgrading for now, or upgrading with the mindset of rearchitecting your sound.

As had been said, definitely do a full backup, but a few months should be plenty of time to get your tone sorted out. One of the biggest benefit of the advances lately has been how much quicker it is to get things where you want them.

It was completely redone. I think it sounds better, but I thought the Energyball sounded like ass before. If your sound of built on this amp, I would either skip upgrading for now, or upgrading with the mindset of rearchitecting your sound.
I use the EMI open backed cab IR with it and get a great "amp in the room" sound through my FRFRs. For recording I use two different IRs panned L/R and dig that sound.

The Engl cab with this amp sounded too "fizzy" but I love the feel of the amp. It actually sounds surprisingly good for edge of breakup when you roll back the volume as well.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, everyone. I imagine the older FW files are available in old threads so I'll find that first in case things go sideways.

Just checked this model out for the first time in a long while…didn’t do it for me before, but now Cygnified it sounds and feels glorious at stock setting..instantly one of my fav high gainers in the box.
Pairs very well with a @York Audio BGNR 4x12 v30 mix (highly recommended cab pack)….the tasty new reverb algo don’t hurt either

I bought the real amp a few years ago and it sounded huge! I couldn't get it to chug and palm mute like I like though so I sent it back. I should've tried a drive pedal in front of it first but it was that first impression of not doing it on its own that got me. The clean channel was killer! sounded like glass for days. To me, the Fractal version sounds like the center got chopped out of the mids. It's missing its guts.

I bought the real amp a few years ago and it sounded huge! I couldn't get it to chug and palm mute like I like though so I sent it back. I should've tried a drive pedal in front of it first but it was that first impression of not doing it on its own that got me. The clean channel was killer! sounded like glass for days. To me, the Fractal version sounds like the center got chopped out of the mids. It's missing its guts.
it will actually depend on which one you had. v1 was actually known for being too scooped and getting lost in the mix and Engl revoiced it about the time they did thr Fireball 100 V2 is much more of an upper mid punch

So I upgraded today…someone on a Cygnus thread said that you have to dig into the strings more to achieve gain. Kind of like a real tube amp. I can confirm this, but you are rewarded for the effort. There’s clearly more texture and string definition. The only downside is that my technique is in full display. Time to practice…

Back
Top Bottom