End Caps: On or Off?

I did a little measuring and some quick math, the air flow of the fan is the only guess but at a minimum it should require 1/8" or 3mm of clearance all the way around to provide the right amount of airflow on the sides to the device you are placing next to it, so an FC6 in this case.

The bottom side FAS has provided for a little better than 5/16" or 9 mm of clearance from the fan opening to the floor of whatever you are placing it on which I would not violate.

I can't imagine you need much room between the FM3 and the FC6? Really how much air will be pushed out? Not a huge deal, just leave a tad of room. Remember the opposite side will be completely open. Just waiting for my Dual Lock to be delivered!

Really how much air will be pushed out?

Partially pushed, mostly drawn out via convection cooling meaning you need cooler air between the units.
Long standing rule of mine - if the mfg. bothers to put holes in a unit, probably better to give them a wide berth.

I can't imagine you need much room between the FM3 and the FC6? Really how much air will be pushed out? Not a huge deal, just leave a tad of room. Remember the opposite side will be completely open. Just waiting for my Dual Lock to be delivered!

The reason the question was posed was some of the rigs that are being pictured have the FC pinned right up against the FM with no gap at all! I was trying to calculate a safe minimum given the amount of air movement through the size of holes used in the chassis.

The reason the question was posed was some of the rigs that are being pictured have the FC pinned right up against the FM with no gap at all! I was trying to calculate a safe minimum given the amount of air movement through the size of holes used in the chassis.

Yeah. I keep seeing pics of the FM3 up against the FC6 as if they’re a single unit. That’s what I was planning on (with end caps off and some ventilation space below) but am not sure if that’s a certified Bad Idea. Thoughts @Admin M@?

Yeah. I keep seeing pics of the FM3 up against the FC6 as if they’re a single unit. That’s what I was planning on (with end caps off and some ventilation space below) but am not sure if that’s a certified Bad Idea. Thoughts @Admin M@?
Kind of hard to just ignore the warning on the bottom side of the FM3 isn't it;)! I have spent the better part of the day rebuilding my board making sure I have just enough space between the too using the FM3 as a template.

Kind of hard to just ignore the warning on the bottom side of the FM3 isn't it;)! I have spent the better part of the day rebuilding my board making sure I have just enough space between the too using the FM3 as a template.

My FM3 and FC6 should arrive Tuesday. I’m looking forward to building a board. The board will hold an EV-2 as well, but I’m unsure right now if I want anything else on there. Considering the SY-1. I need to load up a few patches and see how I feel about CPU usage.

My FM3 and FC6 should arrive Tuesday. I’m looking forward to building a board. The board will hold an EV-2 as well, but I’m unsure right now if I want anything else on there. Considering the SY-1. I need to load up a few patches and see how I feel about CPU usage.
Until this weekend I wasn't totally sure I was even going to even keep the FM. I'm going to order the FC-6 this morning! I wood work as a hobby so I'm always compelled to building something to put my gear on.

Until this weekend I wasn't totally sure I was even going to even keep the FM. I'm going to order the FC-6 this morning! I wood work as a hobby so I'm always compelled to building something to put my gear on.

Ha! Me too. I don’t have a lot of tools (or experience) but enough to do a decent job of it. I have access to a fantastic wood shop on the Air Force base but it’s currently shut down.

When thinking about FM3-FC6 spacing I think it's good to keep in mind the worst-case environmental conditions that YOUR rig will be subjected to. I'm sure Fractal designed the FM3 to live in 100 deg F heat in direct sunlight. Mine will never see anything over 75 deg and no direct sunlight. Nevertheless I put some space between my FM3 and FC6, but I wouldn't worry about it a bit even if I had butted them right together (for ME).

Very safe to assume that @Admin M@ and @FractalAudio both approve of these messages.

Picture originally posted by @Tom Morris

5SeXIfj.jpg

Page IV of the FM3 manual:

Ix93xc0.jpg

Do not obstruct or cover the side or bottom ventilation holes

"I'm Admin M@ and I approve of this message." ;)

Failure to follow these instructions may result in adverse effects including but not limited to headache, nausea, vomiting, death, dizziness, dysentery, cardiac arrhythmia, mild heart explosions, varicose veins, darkened stool, darkened soul, lycanthropy, trucanthropy, more vomiting, arteriosclerosis, hemorrhoids, diabeetus, virginity, mild discomfort, gender impermanence, spontaneous dental hydroplosion, sugar high, even more vomiting, and mild rash.

Looks to me like the end caps are designed to make sure there is clearance for the intake and exhaust vents.
Remove at your peril.

Looks to me like the end caps are designed to make sure there is clearance for the intake and exhaust vents.
Remove at your peril.

Intake yes, exhaust no! One could cover both sides of the FM if not paying attention and there is no relief cutouts in the rubber sides for venting air, technicality I know but factually true.

Back
Top Bottom