End Caps: On or Off?

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
So what are those end caps for? With an FC6 does it make sense to remove the end caps for a cleaner setup?

For FM3, you do NOT want to remove the end caps and place the FM3 on a flat surface......you would have just obstructed the intake port, BAD.

I think the end caps are to insure the unit has Stand off, from a surface.
My End caps are off as my intake is not obstructed.
FFB4384F-806F-4192-A6C5-A41E06835A63.jpegFFB4384F-806F-4192-A6C5-A41E06835A63.jpegFFB4384F-806F-4192-A6C5-A41E06835A63.jpeg

No worries Iaresse.

if your board is like a Temple audio, it has all kinds of holes and pass through ports , it can suck in air When needed.
My underside intake port is right over the large pass through holes, so wide open.
i do not have an FC6, can’t help there Sixstring.

Thanks! I was asking about the FM3 because... well it was in the FM3 forum;) and I was curious if the FC-6 and FM3 share the same type of bottom side chassis. Does the FM3 have a cooling fan, or is it just a vent?

Has there been mention of a minimum clearance recommendation for the FM3? I did check the manual and I realize your not supposed to block the vents (sides and bottom) but that's a pretty loose term. I've seen some of the rigs with an FC squeezed right up next to the FM with 0 clearance. Sorry for all the questions I just want to have my ducks all in a row before I start assembling things.

So is there a recommended mounting distance between the FM3 and an FC6?
I expect this info (if any) would have to come from FAS, Another guess on my part is both sides of the FM3 are vented to allow air to flow so maybe it's not a huge issue as long as one side is unobstructed but again without having the unit in front of me it's just a guess.

Thanks guys. Yeah I was actually wondering about both the FM3 and FC6. I will mount them side by side. Was planning on zero clearance between them as well. I would mount both on a board using dual lock. The dual lock can be used to create small risers so I’d still have clearance below them. Additionally, I’d probably custom build the board so I could easily leave vents below the units anyway.

Was planning on zero clearance between them as well. I would mount both on a board using dual lock. The dual lock can be used to create small risers so I’d still have clearance below them.
I plan on leaving about 1/2 inch between the two? Does anyone know if they vent out for the fan on the bottom or are they an intake? Maybe just for heat to dissipate? If no one from Fractal will respond, this will help me to decide how much, if any, space to leave? I too am using dual lock and hoping it will be strong enough to hold in a vertical position when moving around?

It looks to me like the bottom vent is the air intake (I think I saw fan blades just inside), and the two side vents are for exhaust. It would not make sense for the bottom vent to be the exhaust as you would be fighting convection, plus I would think the air underneath is safer to draw in than the sides. That being the case I left about 1/2" between the FM3 and FC6. I took all side plates off and velcro'd them down to my board, making sure the FM3 bottom opening was positioned between bars.

The underside port has an intake fan.

You may want to snap a picture of the underside and send it to Fractal
to see if they think whether or not there's enough airflow.
The fan's chassis openings on top of one of the floorboard slots doesn't
look like it may be enough. The middle section of the vent opening is where
the fan motor is. It's the blade area outside of that that should be clear.

WDmkkLj.jpg

Back
Top Bottom