Encoder - easy fix?

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
My Encoder seems to be giving up on me. When I scroll through patches for instance, it sometimes jumps one or two, and occasionally goes back a few - so I might scroll right ant the patches go 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,6,7,8. This happens both ways.

Its over 2 years old but Ive EMailed sussi at G66. She can do the repait in Germany no problem, and can arrange collecteion - however thats not easy as Im not at home for collections, and as I work on an Army base the couriers cant ge to me.

I suppose something can be worked out, but shes also offered to just send me a new encoder to fit myself. As a tech I can handle a soldering Iron, but is is easy access? do I need to take off the encoder knob - and how? do I have to remove a board to do this and how easy is that etc etc etc.

If its easy Ill do it myself - or else its 10 days or so without my Axe, and a logistics problem to actually get it to Germany. If I pack it up and send it myself, the cost is a lot - around £80 to Germany (say $120 or so) so Id rather avoid that if possible.

paulmapp8306 said:
My Encoder seems to be giving up on me. When I scroll through patches for instance, it sometimes jumps one or two, and occasionally goes back a few - so I might scroll right ant the patches go 1,2,3,4,6,7,8,9,6,7,8. This happens both ways.

Its over 2 years old but Ive EMailed sussi at G66. She can do the repait in Germany no problem, and can arrange collecteion - however thats not easy as Im not at home for collections, and as I work on an Army base the couriers cant ge to me.

I suppose something can be worked out, but shes also offered to just send me a new encoder to fit myself. As a tech I can handle a soldering Iron, but is is easy access? do I need to take off the encoder knob - and how? do I have to remove a board to do this and how easy is that etc etc etc.

If its easy Ill do it myself - or else its 10 days or so without my Axe, and a logistics problem to actually get it to Germany. If I pack it up and send it myself, the cost is a lot - around £80 to Germany (say $120 or so) so Id rather avoid that if possible.

You can try cleaning the encoder with Caig's Detoxit. It can't hurt. It has fixed a couple of peoples issues with the encoder.

I have the same issue with mine. Mine is an older unit I bought used.

I bought some DeoxIT so I'll have to try that. But just in case, does anyone know the part number of the rotary encoder replacement?

javajunkie said:
You can try cleaning the encoder with Caig's Detoxit. It can't hurt. It has fixed a couple of peoples issues with the encoder.

I'll have to try this. I get strange behavior sometimes too.

MusicManJP6 said:
No change in my case. three clicks goes from 000 to 006 if I turn it a certain speed.

That's normal when changing presets and many parameters. The faster the wheel is turned, the more the value changes per click.

Might have to try a cleaner on mine. It's been a bit iffy ever since I got it, but more recently it's been inclined to go just plain nuts on me. :?

It's pretty much the only thing that irritates me a bit about the Axe, but it just means I find myself using the editor more now.

I get my jumps even when Im, rotating very slowly. Ill have a look in the Unit today as Im off work - and on my own- and see how easy it would be to replace.

Anyone know if I have to take the control know off the front - and if sohow do I do that? Or is the Encoder itself a seperate componant on the board?

Right , replacing the Encoder seems a simple enough fix IF you can handle a soldering iron and have a de-solder kit. Unfortunately I dont have the de-solder kit so it would get messy to remove the old encoder. I think as its a minor irritant at present not a serious problem Im going to leave it and see how it develops. Sussi is happy to collect the unit and replace the encode If/When id gets serious/unuseable so I dont loose anything from waiting.

I will say again how great G66 service is. Ive had the unit JUST over 2 years so out of warentee even from them - and there still happy to do the fix at their expense (including collect and return of the Unit). Fabulouse.

Bakerman said:
MusicManJP6 said:
No change in my case. three clicks goes from 000 to 006 if I turn it a certain speed.

That's normal when changing presets and many parameters. The faster the wheel is turned, the more the value changes per click.

Did not know this. In that case, I suppose mine is working as intended!

I am having similar problems if I scroll through presets or some values faster,
it gets stuck or jumps unexpected etc...
Sussi will send me a new encoder in next day or two but after reading this thread
I thought I should try cleaning it as well.
Now, where to clean, do I need to remove plastic cover on the knob and spray there
or do I need to open the unit and spray somewhere inside on the encoder?
Sorry for dumb questions, I just don't know how this encoder looks like
nor where it's actually located. :)

Back
Top Bottom