Enchancer - Couple of questions about it

Andre Antunes

Inspired
Hello guys

Doing some home recording, loving the axe, loving the way the Enchancer sounds, but I do not really have much info about how should I use it.

I am actually setting the Low cut to the minimum setting and the high cut to the maximum, its how it sounds better to me.

Another thing I have been wondering, when recording guitars, If I want to Pan them Hard Left or Hard Right, should I have the enchancer engaged?

Thanks a lot for always answering a noob guy's questions. Awesome forum.

The enhancer is primarily designed to add a little 'width' to a single guitar / tone

Tracking up and hard panning with the enhancer kinda defeats the purpose of it and can possibly lead to some phase funkiness

However, as usual, there are no rules, so if it works for you, then carry on
guitar.gif

You would probably be best off recording with the Enhancer bypassed, but using the Enhancer in a LIVE setting, to give the perception of double-tracked guitars...

There are two modes to the enhancer, Classic and Modern.

The Classic mode is really simple. All it really does is put a very, very slight delay on either the left or the right channel, just a few milliseconds at most. This achieves a wider stereo image, and the other built-in controls like balance and eq just compensate for when the widening effect might throw off the stereo imaging, like if you suddenly hear too much bass on the right side or something, just due to physics and how the sound hits you.

The Modern mode does basically the same thing as Classic mode but with the additional feature that different parts of the frequency spectrum are panned slightly differently than the other parts instead of just the entire right or left channel getting a delay applied. Think of it like a multiband compressor but instead of compressing different parts of the signal differently, the Modern Enhancer pans different parts of the signal differently.

That's basically it. It's a neat stereo effect that will widen your tone and give you a unique element to your sound that while definitely inferior to double tracking, it's next best thing when you can't double track. And yeah, using this effect in mono will kill your tone and make you sound horrible.

Last edited:
Good question... I was kind of hoping it would be something similar to a BBE Sonic Stomp, but never really got that sound out of it

I suppose we dont wont to 'stereo the lows', to give a more focused low end. Low cutting to somewhere around 120hz may give best results rather than cutting at only 20hz right? How are you settings yours?

The human ear isn't able to locate low frequencies well. Short, everything below a certain frequency, let's say 80 Hz, will be perceived as coming from the same direction by your ears.

noob question here,
so when I'm going stereo to FOH with this enhancer block engaged (to emulate a double tracked guitar), do I need to hard pan each channel on the FOH (L/R) or keep both channels center panned ?

sorry for my bad english

Yes, you need to have the channels on the console panned hard left and right to retain the stereo image. If they are panned to the center, your signal is in mono, in which case, there would be no reason to use the Enhancer block... ;-)

^. Great question..... Now that Ultra Res is out, I find myself leaning to going back to Mono.
Largely due to the complex chain now for stereo and CPU load it brings ( 2 Cab blocks )

There was a thread in here about a week ago, where a lot of contributors here gave examples of how to achieve a double-tracking effect... with 2 separate amp and Cab blocks, etc... look around a little bit, it's in here...

There was a thread in here about a week ago, where a lot of contributors here gave examples of how to achieve a double-tracking effect... with 2 separate amp and Cab blocks, etc... look around a little bit, it's in here...

Missed that one. Thanks.

As far as mono compatibility goes, you can get away with it in modern mode, but in classic mode, it turns to absolute dreck in mono.

Back
Top Bottom