Enabling a drive with an expression pedal

Tubehead

Inspired
I may be overlooking the obvious here, so if I am, I apologize...

I have a drive pedal in my chain of effects which is currently bypassed. I am controlling delay, eq and a few other things with my expression pedal for solos. When a solo comes, I rock the expressional pedal to toe down and then change the settings for delay, eq, etc. I would like to un-bypass the drive pedal as well to get a bit more drive but I cannot find a good way to do this.

I've tried to use the MIX parameter on the drive pedal, but when heel-down and setting this to zero, it does NOT sound the same as the drive being bypassed! I had hoped to just use the expression pedal to adjust the mix from 0 - 100% but the setting of 0% really affects the amp and is not the same as bypassing the drive pedal.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed.

You could try doing the same thing, but instead with a mixer block before a parallel split, one side with your drive, the other without?

The drive would always be on, but only in your chain when the mixer's modifiers switched to the side with it.

Or, if you're already using a mixer block and need other options, you could essentially do the same thing with a pair of volume or filter blocks.

Attach the same modifier you are using to control Delay and EQ and assign it to the drive block bypass and set it up so when the expression pedal is toe down the block will be active.
I might be wrong here, but don't you have to do that in the midi map? It would work, but wouldn't it also mean it would have to behave the same way in all of his presets?

I might be wrong here, but don't you have to do that in the midi map? It would work, but wouldn't it also mean it would have to behave the same way in all of his presets?

No MiDi mapping required, Let's say if he is using Ext1 that is already assigned to CC X for his expression pedal you would just edit in the modifier page and assign that same source (Ext1) to the bypass in the drive. Adjust the start and end points accordingly to achieve the needed result in this case activating the drive block.

Back
Top Bottom