Wish Enable USB-A port for powering / charging USB devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could probably use one of the easily purchased midi bluetooth wireless dongles to connect directly through BLE to an iPad or iPhone, and run the third party Fractal editor over the BLE connection. I'd try it but I don't have that app, but have used the wireless midi dongles enough to feel fairly confident it should work with a newer iPad.

However, if you try using one of the dongles like the CME WidiMaster with a FM3, you have to also provide a 5 pin midi extension to get the dongle to clear the power cable connector.

https://www.cme-pro.com/ble-midi-wireless-midi-via-bluetooth/

These WIDI Devices don't work with the FM3. They'll overheat ...

These WIDI Devices don't work with the FM3. They'll overheat ...

There are solutions to that, I pointed out the heat issue at the beginning.
You have to build an adapter with a 220 ohm resistor at one specific pin.
I have the WIDI master successfully running with those adapters (actually just customized MIDI cables ...) and they keep cool.
And the issue is not the WIDI master, the FM3 does not follow the MIDI specifications of having the required resistor ...

There are solutions to that, I pointed out the heat issue at the beginning.
You have to build an adapter with a 220 ohm resistor at one specific pin.
I have the WIDI master successfully running with those adapters (actually just customized MIDI cables ...) and they keep cool.
And the issue is not the WIDI master, the FM3 does not follow the MIDI specifications of having the required resistor ...
Wow, thanks for this info. Surprised at the need for the resistor though from the FM3 midi spec perspective... wonder what CME thinks of it. Also the ones I tried are the private labeled ones, XVive MD1, and they are fairly new. I do not recall them getting hot, but did not use them more than a few minutes.

Wow, thanks for this info. Surprised at the need for the resistor though from the FM3 midi spec perspective... wonder what CME thinks of it. Also the ones I tried are the private labeled ones, XVive MD1, and they are fairly new. I do not recall them getting hot, but did not use them more than a few minutes.

I started this conversation here in the forum as well directly with CME and also between Fractal and CME.
Somewhere in the forum, there is a "manual" on how to build such an adapter to support the WIDI Master.
I really like wireless MIDI and WIDI is a solid and working implementation, I can highly recommend it :)
If you can solder, it's not that hard - and the 220 ohm resistor costs only a few cents :)

I hate to be "that" guy, but why is the USB slot still disabled?
It's there, many people would enjoy this slot and new users are confused why multiple USB ports are available ...

I hate to be "that" guy, but why is the USB slot still disabled?
It's there, many people would enjoy this slot and new users are confused why multiple USB ports are available ...
You're not the only "that" guy - if you ask me :)

I've worked around it with a 3 port USB power adapter underneath my "Temple Audio Design Duo" and a y-power cable as I wanted to power an LED stripe and a Raspberry PI - so the USB out wouldn't be able to handle the load anyway. It's not beautiful, but does the job 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
The question on what the USB could and actually can do is keep coming up in other threads ...
So, anything officially about this? ..

• import/export of presets?
  • wireless editing via an additional module?
  • enable USB power for external devices?

Just having the port but without any functions is ... pointless :D
+1 This is such a great ability to plug in a usb flash drive and load up your rig. Many of us have been enjoying this on the Kemper and it is a game changer if you travel for gigs. A huge plus would be to make this cross compatible. Thanks!

It would need power to accomplish item #1 and #2 from post 15.

So they should be able to accomplish all three features.
Enabling power is much simpler than enabling Bluetooth streaming.

I think you're missing my point...

Yes, those things would need power but this wish is specifically about power so that it can be used for other things.

Enabling power is much simpler than enabling Bluetooth streaming.

I think you're missing my point...

Yes, those things would need power but this wish is specifically about power so that it can be used for other things.
Why stop just at making it a powered port? Limiting the scope of the conversation in the way you seek to is counterproductive. Is the hardware even there to facilitate anything but slow 5v charging? Do they even have hardware to support USB Power Delivery with PPS? Because one can buy a 30v USB-PD charger on Amazon with PPS for like $5.

As customers, it's a far more effective pitch to Fractal to say that the port needs to be unlocked for something useful... Bluetooth and WiFi being perfect examples. You know, because their competition already has Bluetooth.

The pitch of "Oh, can you make this unused port power modern devices, all with different charging requirements, in a way that doesn't fry the FM3 nor the connected device". Very little upside for Fractal and their customers.

Is the hardware even there to facilitate anything but slow 5v charging? Do they even have hardware to support USB Power Delivery with PPS? Because one can buy a 30v USB-PD charger on Amazon with PPS for like $5.

As customers, it's a far more effective pitch to Fractal to say that the port needs to be unlocked for something useful... Bluetooth and WiFi being perfect examples. You know, because their competition already has Bluetooth.

The pitch of "Oh, can you make this unused port power modern devices, all with different charging requirements, in a way that doesn't fry the FM3 nor the connected device". Very little upside for Fractal and their customers. Why stop just at making it a powered port?
Ok... I give up. I'm talking in circles and you seem to keep missing the point...

Please proceed to force your will on the OP's wish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom