Wish Enable USB-A port for powering / charging USB devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of on-topic, but does anyone know of a wireless USB device that would replace a USB-A to USB-B cable?

One thing that was handy for me with my modeler that I had before the FM3 was that it had a 3.5” aux input for plugging in a device so you could play along to something like a song or a backing track. It would be nice if the USB port could be enabled to allow something similar. I don‘t home record, so I don’t have a DAW (other than GarageBand) or an Interface, but that may be wishful thinking allowing the USB to transfer data into the FM3.

If i could enable the USB power, i could run my single pedal out if it (Boss) ... Are there any chances that this is actually coming?

+1. Being able to charge my shure wireless directly on the board would be awesome. That said, it's really strange to me how Shure didn't put a USB charging port on the GLXD16 receiver.

One thing that was handy for me with my modeler that I had before the FM3 was that it had a 3.5” aux input for plugging in a device so you could play along to something like a song or a backing track. It would be nice if the USB port could be enabled to allow something similar. I don‘t home record, so I don’t have a DAW (other than GarageBand) or an Interface, but that may be wishful thinking allowing the USB to transfer data into the FM3.
Have you read p. 24 in the manual? The FM3, FX3 and FM9 already do this.

Just connect to your Mac using USB, turn down the volume on the Mac, change your speaker output to the FM3, and slowly raise the volume on the Mac. You can adjust the sensitivity of the FM3 in Settings in FM3-Edit or on the front panel. It works with audio sources like Music or videos on the Mac.

Last edited:
I would love to hear from Fractal if this topic is in mind and coming.
To enable USB power, many people could eliminate the need for additional power supplies, cables and power headache.
It would solve many problems of compact pedalboards and power management.
I read about 1000ma on the FASLink connector - i could live with the half of it at the USB port! ...

This topic is over one and a half year old but still not officially "acknowledged".
Can we get feedback if this topic is on the table? I guess all FM3 users would highly appreciate that 😘
There are a few options out there to convert 5V USB to 9V DC, people with one or two simple pedals next to the FM3 would really benefit from this!

Last edited:
There are a few options out there to convert 5V USB to 9V DC, people with one or two simple pedals next to the FM3 would really benefit from this!
Or a LED string ... looks great not only at xmas and doesn't even need voltage conversion :)

I would use the USB-A to power a LED gooseneck lamp to highlight all the black switches, knobs and encoders on my FM3, so I could see them and the labels in dim light.
Since the newest, just released Fractal unit, the FM9 comes without one, the chances of FM3's USB-A being used for anything in current Fractal family are 0.0 in my opinion. :(

+1

Enabling USB Power would allow to power the Morningstar MC3/6/8 over USB - that would be so cool!!!
Also very useful for charging Powerbanks like the Rockboard Power LT XL.

Last edited:
Still hoping for the wireless editing/firmware update capabilities with the USB-A port ... or even wireless MIDI over Bluetooth. An iOs/Android app would be perfect, but also just a wireless connection to AxeEdit on a PC/Mac would already be awesome (and make me very, very happy :D).

This would give the FM3 also an advantage over the FM9. An argument more for an ultra portable device.

But I'm not sure if it's still on the to-do list ... at least it doesn't seem to have a high priority (compared to other, also important, things).

Like others have said, due to Axe-Fx 3 and FM9 not having a USB-A port I don't expect to see any real functionality for that.

But I still hope that Fractal simply enabled it to allow powering USB devices through it. Even further plus would be to support MIDI over USB through it. I feel that wouldn't be a massive effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom