Emulating the Line 6 "Freaky Whamster" patch

Sidivan

Fractal Fanatic
There is 1 tone on my Vetta II that I just have no idea how to go about emulating in the Axe FX. It's basically a whammy effect that happens automatically. The patch is called "Freaky Whamster".

Any old Vetta users have a patch for this? I'll throw a recording and the vetta settings up later today.

Edit: Apparently, this effect is all in the 1 stomp box the Vetta has called a "Synth Harmony". Here's what the manual says about this effect..

There are two waves at work here. The WAVE control is different on this effect, so it as been moved to page 2 to call attention to that fact. Here, the WAVE parameter controls the gain of the saw wave, while the square wave gain remains constant. The other parameters on page 2 allow you to choose the harmony interval for each wave.

The settings specifically on this patch are where it says "-4th" and "5th" it is actually "1 oct". I'm betting that means for the SAW wave, it's a 1 octave harmony and for the SINE wave, it's also a 1 octave harmony. So far, this is a breeze... the thing I'm missing is on the Vetta it has specific intervals under each "1 oct"... root, min 3rd, 3rd, 5th.... and root, 4th, 5th, and 7th. I'm not quite sure what these mean yet or what the equivalent setting on the Axe is.

I figured out that the "Shift" section is 1/2 steps, which gets the effect almost right. I think it's got something to do with those intervals on the vetta... Anybody got any ideas? I'm a newb to synths. This was a factory preset that I ended up using.

Hi there,

do you have a clip of the effect so that us non-vetta users have something to work against?

Cheers

Spence

I actually figured out the problem was that I couldn't get the Axe FX crappy enough. After hours of A/Bing I decided I like the Axe version better. I'll try to get some clips up.

Sidivan said:
I actually figured out the problem was that I couldn't get the Axe FX crappy enough. After hours of A/Bing I decided I like the Axe version better. I'll try to get some clips up.

Funniest post ever. :lol:

I'm re-visiting this thread because I need some more help. I ended up using BOTH the Axe FX version and the Vetta version for the song and after 5 months of trying to sell my Vetta, I finally have a buyer. Now I need to emulate this puppy in the axe ASAP.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8566357

I recorded a .wav of me playing the a riff twice. The first part is the Vetta sound, which is the goal. The second part is "Dry". Both are recorded via the Vetta's S/PDIF out, which I figured would be easiest if anybody wants to try to re-amp it. The settings in the first post hold true, but here's a more detailed breakdown.

The routing splits into 2 amp/cab lines. One goes to "Amp 1" and the other to "Stomp 3" on the Vetta which is the aforementioned synth block, which feeds Amp 2. After the amps is a volume pedal that basically fades between the two amps. I'm unsure whether this is a Left and Right or if both amps are actually stereo because the pedal is volume, not an actual panner. When the synth effect is active, the volume on Amp 1 is effectively 0, so I don't think the Amp 1 lines are going to matter when it comes to effects.

Amp 1 is Line 6's "02 Missippi Criminal" which is Peavey® '02 5150 II model. That is paired with their version of 4x12 Marshall® '67 Cab w/ Celestion® Greenbacks.

Amp 2 is Line 6's "'67 Class A C-30 TB" which is Vox® '67 AC-30 Top Boost. The cab there is 2x12 Vox® '67 AC-30 Top Boost.

Post effects: Each one of these is running in parallel, NOT series or chain.
compression (1:1 Ratio though, so this does nothing)

reverb ("War Memorial", which is supposed to be a stadium), mix set between 10 and 11 o'clock, Decay Time @ 1 O'clock, "pre-delay" @ 0, tone @ noon, amp 1 cranked, amp 2 at 9 o'clock, "out pan" @ 3 O'clock

Delay (Ping Pong) 1000ms, mix @ 4 o'clock, "offset" at noon, "spread" cranked, "feedback" at 11 o'clock, amp 1 @ 9 o'clock, amp 2 @ 4 o'clock, "out pan" @ noon. According to the manual, the time of 1000ms sets the left side delay time and "offset" is the right side delay as a percentage of the left side time. If set at 12 o'clock, the left and right are evenly spaced. The spread is "where the delay repeats appear in the stereo field".

The whole thing then goes through an SM 57 - on axis

I have attached a picture of the settings on the amps since the Vetta doesn't have numbers. The volume are not quite all the way up, but they're pretty close. You can see the drive is maxed on both amps. A note about the Vetta: the knobs supposedly act like they would on the real amp, so there's at least a reference for you.

I don't have the Red-Wirez cabs, but if you can nail this tone, I would be willing to buy them.

Also, I need to do this with a single Synth block because I'm using the other synth block in the patch I'll be applying this sound to. If you're wondering what this sounds like, you can take a listen to the full song called "Beneath These Stones" at http://www.myspace.com/ciqmusic The synth part comes in about 2/3 through it.

Edit: Soundclick will only allow me to upload in MP3 format. Don't know if that works for re-amping.

Back
Top Bottom