Emulating high volume

Overcaster

Inspired
Explain to an absolute numb-skull how to emulate higher amp volumes with the axe at lower volumes for like headphone use

I know that well obviously higher MV values do the trick but also the gain enhancer.

Any other ways?

A bit off speaker compression under Amp Block’s Speaker tab...though i would not dial it in too much, also the gain enhancer...too much of it is not good IMHO.

While it's fairly obvious that there's really no substitute for high volume to get the feel of a loud amp, I discovered there are some tricks that can help when listening with headphones at reasonable levels. I just got done messing around with the Cab block and Reverb block and was able to get both surprisingly better than decent results with the following tweaks:

NOTE: Use one method only, they don't play well with each other.

Reverb Block (Studio model):
Basic page:
Time @ 2.00 sec - Size @ 40 - Predelay 0.0 ms
Advanced page:
Early Level @ 0.00 dB -

Cab Block:
Room/Air page:
Room Level @ 50% - Room Size 20.00 m - Room Shape <Room> - Floor Reflections @ 75% - Room Diffusion @ 10%

The factory presets are already dialed in to high volume settings. Dialing in any of the real amps to the same settings would be screaming loud in most cases. The rest of that equation is on your end with however you are monitoring. Headphones will never give you the same experience as playing loud since they are completely decoupled from the guitar acoustically. There's no sympathetic resonance and vibration going on at all, so the feel is totally different. A big part of the playing loud experience comes from senses beyond your hearing. You feel the vibrations in your body and bones. Headphones just won't do that. Gain Enhancer can help emulate the sympathetic coupling to an extent, but it will never truly be the same experience without the same physical SPL.

Be very careful of cranking your headphone level as well. It's much easier to over do it since again you are missing all of the other physical cues as to just how loud you are really playing. 100+ dB is a lot easier to hit than you might think when the drivers are an inch away from your eardrums. Hearing damage is nothing to take lightly.

I conditioned my kids from a young age to be able to sleep with music playing. I think
it helped when they heard live and loud music in utero. I have NEVER had to turn down
or accommodate for any of them. Praise the Lord!!!

Start 'em young!! :)

I conditioned my kids from a young age to be able to sleep with music playing. I think
it helped when they heard live and loud music in utero. I have NEVER had to turn down
or accommodate for any of them. Praise the Lord!!!

Start 'em young!! :)

I pitched this, I was veto'd. We have a very quiet house so it wasn't a surprise lol.

if the 'sound' of high volume is the 'sound' of physical material starting to come tf apart in all glorious equipment abuse, the most potent knob for that is Xformer drive and speaker drive. if you like the way it sounds but still want to actually 'play' the sound, with Xformer drive causing a meltdown up past 4, you can move the distortion out of the way and put it right where you want it with the speaker page LF resonance freq, if you move it down towards 70 Hz you can make room for some guitar to come through with it still being floppy in the sub bass. you can tune the top end too with speaker high freq, if you bring it down towards ~900 Hz the guitar will still cut through a floppy output transformer. Speaker drive just makes a mess but it's fun af

IMO. Not doable.

Guitar/amp interaction won't happen with headphones. You can create a few presets for that (Trainwreck/Dumble types) that will give you that, but it will not approximate what it feels like at volume.

R

IMO. Not doable.

Guitar/amp interaction won't happen with headphones. You can create a few presets for that (Trainwreck/Dumble types) that will give you that, but it will not approximate what it feels like at volume.

R
Understandable. However I am neither a band musician, not do I own a house of my own. Sometimes in smaller flats headphones or low volume are the only option.

Last edited:
guitar amp interaction being when you play, things come apart, you get back allot more than what the strings put in

I never know if people just mean feedback in these discissions.

My last band was 125dB and I just got fun feedback.

Back
Top Bottom