EMULATING ANOTHER PEDAL "SUPERSONIC FUZZ GUN"

In the pedal you have this controls:

BIAS - CHANGES THE OVERALL SOUND OF THE FUZZING
DENSITY - AFFECTS THE FREQUENCY RANGE GOING INTO THE PEDAL
FUZZ - INCREASES THE DISTORTION OF THE SIGNAL
FILTER - FILTERS OUT THE HIGH FREQUENCIES OF THE OUTPUT AND SMOOTHS OUT THE INSANITY
LEVEL - CONTROLS THE MASTER OUTPUT VOLUME OF THE PEDAL
GATE/OSCILATION - SWITCHES BETWEEN A GATED FUZZ TONE AND AN OSCILLATION FUZZ SOUND

Maybe with a Filter help to the hard fuzz, any suggestion?

This is the preset I've been using for a basic fuzz sound and might be a useful starting point. Let us know how you get on.

Attachments

• Fuzz.syx.zip
    389 bytes · Views: 58
Stringtheorist said:
This is the preset I've been using for a basic fuzz sound and might be a useful starting point. Let us know how you get on.

Thank you for your replies and your patch, it´s sound great......but classical. I play in a u2 tributeband (I´m freaky), and I´m looking for this particular sound on "no line on the horizon", I think that there are parameters like "Bias" and "clip type" in drive block that could help to get that sound. I´m triying it with a filter without success. Maybe a pitch could help.

I'm guessing a little, but I'm pretty sure that is either the fuzz face, big muff, or sub octave fuzz model from the Line 6 Distortion pro. The M13 has those sounds in it as well. I'm not sure how you arrived at the fuzz gun pedal, but I doubt that is what the Edge is using here.

I've had a hard time getting some of those drive tones from the Axe-FX, not because they aren't in there, but because they take a while to find. If you get frustrated trying to get the drive tones just right, I suggest you pick up a DM4 or an M13. Those sounds are literally all over the latest U2 albums, and you can dial them in very quickly on the M13 as opposed to the time it takes to get them right in the Axe-FX.

In the AFX, I think you're right on track with the hard fuzz. The first thing I would try for that tone is to use Javajunkie's fuzz face settings that are somewhere on this board (maybe in the wiki), and then lower the bias some. That would be my starting point to get this sound. If that isn't it, I would try lowering the bias some on the Big Muff model as a starting point. If it's the sub octave fuzz he's using, you'll need to try some combination of the drive block and the octave divider.

I can't tell for sure if it's the sub octave or not. It doesn't have much of the lower octave mixed in if it is, but that model does have the ragged, raspy, and huge character of what I hear in the video. I like this tone a lot, so I may try to dial in something close if I have some time today.

He's playing a hollowbody with P90s too, so that's a big factor in the sound he's getting.

D

dk_ace said:
In the AFX, I think you're right on track with the hard fuzz. The first thing I would try for that tone is to use Javajunkie's fuzz face settings that are somewhere on this board (maybe in the wiki), and then lower the bias some. That would be my starting point to get this sound.
Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I have been using the hard fuzz to dial in a Voodoo Chile (Hendrix) patch, and I too lowered the bias to get the slightly sputtering sound. However, I noticed that when I lowered the guitar volume for the quiet bits of that tune, instead of cleaning up nicely my guitar signal just crapped out. I had to raise the bias back to a normal value. Any tips as to how I can keep the fuzz sound at full volume but get a nicer clean when I roll-off?

Stringtheorist said:
dk_ace said:
In the AFX, I think you're right on track with the hard fuzz. The first thing I would try for that tone is to use Javajunkie's fuzz face settings that are somewhere on this board (maybe in the wiki), and then lower the bias some. That would be my starting point to get this sound.
Sorry to hijack the thread somewhat but I have been using the hard fuzz to dial in a Voodoo Chile (Hendrix) patch, and I too lowered the bias to get the slightly sputtering sound. However, I noticed that when I lowered the guitar volume for the quiet bits of that tune, instead of cleaning up nicely my guitar signal just crapped out. I had to raise the bias back to a normal value. Any tips as to how I can keep the fuzz sound at full volume but get a nicer clean when I roll-off?

I haven't tried it really in the Axe-FX, but in real pedals that would mainly depend on the transistor type. For manipulating the volume knob, you need to use the germanium tranny. I don't know if the Axe-FX simulates this aspect of the germanium tranny successfully though, because I haven't tried it. I seem to remember Java saying that it responded differently than a real fuzz face. I don't think it's going to be the same honestly, but you might get close.

If the volume knob interaction isn't right to get that sound happening, I would consider using an outboard fuzz face (Analogman Sunface would be my first pick) or using two signal chains (one cleanish and one fuzzed out) in your patch and going between them with an expression pedal.

D

dk_ace said:
If the volume knob interaction isn't right to get that sound happening, I would consider using an outboard fuzz face (Analogman Sunface would be my first pick) or using two signal chains (one cleanish and one fuzzed out) in your patch and going between them with an expression pedal.
That's an interesting solution, although I've yet to start playing with an expression pedal... That's going to be a whole new learning curve right there.

I must check whether I used the germanium setting on that patch...

Stringtheorist said:
dk_ace said:
That's an interesting solution, although I've yet to start playing with an expression pedal... That's going to be a whole new learning curve right there.

Someone on the board made a Gilmour patch that did that to go from a cleanish tone to fuzzed out lead stuff, and it sounded glorious. I haven't needed to do it, but it works really well if you need to. Try to find that patch on here. It will be worth it.

D

dk_ace said:
Stringtheorist said:
[quote="dk_ace":5swvv7pm]

Someone on the board made a Gilmour patch that did that to go from a cleanish tone to fuzzed out lead stuff, and it sounded glorious. I haven't needed to do it, but it works really well if you need to. Try to find that patch on here. It will be worth it.

D[/quote:5swvv7pm]
Chances are I've already downloaded it with the archived presets. Anyone know what it's called?

dk_ace said:
I haven't tried it really in the Axe-FX, but in real pedals that would mainly depend on the transistor type. For manipulating the volume knob, you need to use the germanium tranny. I don't know if the Axe-FX simulates this aspect of the germanium tranny successfully though, because I haven't tried it. I seem to remember Java saying that it responded differently than a real fuzz face. I don't think it's going to be the same honestly, but you might get close.
Good silicon FFs clean up exactly like germanium ones do. Try a KVR or Jezebel or anything like that and you'll see...

And as far as the OP's effect request goes....Edge actually used a DBA Supersonic on the album. There have been plenty of interviews around where he talked about it and I don't really take him for the misleading kind like EVH ;) . If you've tried a real one (I have) you can actually recognize the tones...

VegaBaby said:
dk_ace said:
Good silicon FFs clean up exactly like germanium ones do. Try a KVR or Jezebel or anything like that and you'll see...

And as far as the OP's effect request goes....Edge actually used a DBA Supersonic on the album. There have been plenty of interviews around where he talked about it and I don't really take him for the misleading kind like EVH ;) . If you've tried a real one (I have) you can actually recognize the tones...

I should have been more clear about the cleanup, but it was beyond the scope of my post honestly. Silicon FFs do indeed clean up with the volume knob, but not exactly like a germanium. They are quite different IMO, and I know players that prefer each for different reasons.

I did some digging, and I was wrong about the OP's tone in question. Edge has said he used the supersonic on that track, but I forgot about it. Listening to it in that light, I think the hard fuzz with a filter in front of it is the way to go. I would use the filter to simulate the density control on the supersonic and tailor what frequencies get fed to the hard fuzz. It sounds to me like a lot of LF is going to the fuzz section.

I would try starting with Java's FF settings, toggle between si and ge trannies to find the best fit for this tune, lower the bias (probably significantly), and then experiment with the gain and low and high cuts in the drive block. If you can't get there in the drive block alone, I would try adding the filter block before to shape the input frequencies.

D

Hi-

It sounds like Edge uses a SSFG on Boots too. I was messing around trying to build the effect for Boots and came up with this preset. You might want to hook up pedals to EXT 1 and EXT 2 to a few of the variables to get it just right. The preset has EXT 2 set to a pedal to adjust the fuzz tone. I think I am getting close. Any help improving it would be appreciated. If you tweak it, you might get NLOTH. Hope this helps.

AL

Attachments

• Boots.zip
    558 bytes · Views: 37
onatonequest said:
Hi-

It sounds like Edge uses a SSFG on Boots too. I was messing around trying to build the effect for Boots and came up with this preset. You might want to hook up pedals to EXT 1 and EXT 2 to a few of the variables to get it just right. The preset has EXT 2 set to a pedal to adjust the fuzz tone. I think I am getting close. Any help improving it would be appreciated. If you tweak it, you might get NLOTH. Hope this helps.

AL
It´s not "boots". it´s lemon and some AWESOME, but a litle turn down, i need that it be loud. The processor are overload.

Please post "boots" and all ypur u2 presets

Oops sorry. My attempt at the Super Sonic Fuzz Gun was next to my Lemmon-like preset. It is that damn offset thing. Let me try it again. AL

Ok...try this. Remember EXT 1 and EXT 2 are assigned. You may need to season the preset to suit your guitar and your taste. I think it is pretty close as I followed the algo for the box. Maybe someone with a better ear can improve it. Have fun. AL

Attachments

• Supersonic Fuzz Gun Attempt.zip
    586 bytes · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom