Emulate a Carvin TS100 power amp?

Ganjatron

I’ve only had the Axe-FX III for a a couple months and I’m still discovering and trying to learn how to dial tones in to my liking. I have a Carvin TS100 power amp that I absolutely love. There’s something about the presence knobs on it that just adds a certain color to my sound that for whatever reason releases happy chemicals in my brain. For now I’ve only been using the Axe-fx by itself connected to my Mac via usb to record in Logic Pro and 98% of the time I’m listening with headphones and not my monitors. In a perfect world (in a bigger apartment or house or studio) I’d be using the Carvin with the Axe-fx and turn off the power amp modeling and mic up a speaker, but my world isn’t perfect atm.
So my question is has anyone tried to emulate the Carvin TS100’s characteristics thru power amp modeling with the Axe-fx, and if so point me in that direction, if not can anyone guide me thru trying to do that myself? I was also thinking I could try getting some sort of power attenuator to actually use the power amp and still send it to the computer but I’m not sure what to get to best capture the sound I’m after, I’ve never tried doing that before.

TLDR: What settings to emulate a Carvin TS100 power amp. And/or what power attenuator do I get and how to set it all up so I could instead use my irl Carvin TS100 without speakers into Logic Pro. Thanks.

According to the TS100 manual:

"Controls the amount of clarity or crispness in the 6kHz range."

The schematic is available at Carvin's site as well. Somebody more savvy than me can probably tell you the range and Q based upon the values of P4, C18, R27, C10, R59... my knowledge of audio circuits in the frequency domain only extends to basic RC filters. In the meantime you could probably get away with using the Tube Pre as a neutral power amp and adding a 6Khz filter to taste someplace in the chain.

Oh good find, thanks that’s at least a start for me to play around with. I wouldn’t think I’d know how to interpret a schematic into axe-fx settings myself. I’m technical but not that technical. Technical-lite maybe.

Things I’d try:

Add high treble
Add presence
Add dynamic presence
Add 8k in graphic EQ
Turn on bright switch if off
Adjust brightness switch frequency upward
Alter treble side on speaker page
Raise high cuts on Amp and Cab blocks

WRITE every adjustment down as you journey in case you go too far.

Also as you get closer, save versions to other unused slots, TEST 1, TEST 2, etc......

Eventually you’ll get there.

I was researching about using a tube power amp and a real cab with the fractal, and had a question about the Carvin TS100 amp..

for a backline amp on stage I am going to try using an AX8 with a Carvin TS100 power amp with EL34 tubes,
going thru either a 212 or 412 cab.

I tried a preset with a Marshall type amp sim, and compared the sound with the amp cab sim turned off, and then on.
I thought that it sounded better with the cab sim turned on, and spent a while tweaking.

I was wondering if others get better results with the cab sims turned on or off when using a fractal fx unit with a tube power amp and speaker cab?
any info. much appreciated.
This really has no relationship to this thread... I suggest posting your own new thread.

Back
Top Bottom