Eminence Speaker Impulse Response

RatBastard

Inspired
I am wondering if any of you guys have tried out the Eminence speaker IRs? If so, what are your thoughts? I was looking at the Swamp Thang, Wizard, and Eric Johnson (for the cleans). My main style is hard rock/metal from the early 90s-2000s. I recently got some IRs from Celestion and Lancaster Audio that I honestly don't care for. I really like the quality of ValhallIR, ML Soundlab, and Ownhammer. Any opinions are appreciated and welcome. https://eminence-digital.com/

All the website sound samples sound laughably bad IMHO and still cant comprehend why they would capture every single speaker in a 3rd Power 112 cab switchback cabinet with a partially open back.
Given that you say you are from the rock/metal crowd I would ignore them and maybe if you haven't tried them check York Audio?
(you could also check the jens bogren or Mendel IR packs)

IMO, any of the speaker manufacturers that have attempted to create IRs have fallen flat. If you haven't yet, check out Red Wirez IRs. Easily on par with the quality of those you like, I actually prefer them for their 'rawness'.

All the website sound samples sound laughably bad IMHO and still cant comprehend why they would capture every single speaker in a 3rd Power 112 cab switchback cabinet with a partially open back.
Given that you say you are from the rock/metal crowd I would ignore them and maybe if you haven't tried them check York Audio?
(you could also check the jens bogren or Mendel IR packs)
I agree. That's why I asked, and I didn't want to waste my money. I have the Jens Bogren pack, and I like it. I'll have to check out the Mendel IR pack. Speaking of Eminence and producer IRs, I have the Kristian Kohle pack, and it's awesome, but yeah, the other samples on the site sound terrible. Thank you so much for your reply. https://eminence-digital.com/collec...sponses/products/kristian-kohle-dv-77-ir-pack

IMO, any of the speaker manufacturers that have attempted to create IRs have fallen flat. If you haven't yet, check out Red Wirez IRs. Easily on par with the quality of those you like, I actually prefer them for their 'rawness'.
Yeah, the Celestion ones I bought were kind of disappointing. The bass ones I thought were kind of good though. I'll have to re demo the Red Wirez IRs that come stock. I remember that I did like a lot of them, especially there was a Bogner one, I think.

If anyone else should happen to read this, I am looking for suggestions on IRs that are premium quality with more "exotic" cabs and speakers. Something other than Mesa, Marshall, Orange, Vox, V30, Greenback, etc. Not to say that those are bad, but I want my tone to be unique.

Been playing the eminence IRS for weeks now. They sound incredible to me.

Just to end the misinformation presented above.

The eminence IRS are done with Michael Britt, who makes IRS and kemper profiles. It is not just eminence by themselves. I think the comment about speaker manufacturers was mostly pointed towards celestion. I get that, their IRS seem to be hit or miss.

I play extreme metal of all kinds. Brutal death, grindcore you name it. The IRS of their metal speakers work wonderfully for metal. Really been loving the new DV77. Even considering it’s in a 1x12.

If anyone is a metal player though I do recommend trying Kristian Kohlers own set of eminence IRS he did. He made those with a Mesa 4x12 and they sound great.

For non metal tones I’m absolutely loving all the IRS I got. The Josh Smith speaker is particularly nice. Also seems to work really well with whatever amp I throw at it or whatever guitar.

Played my cousins tele through the JTM45 model and deluxe reverb, both sounded great with the josh Smith IR. We were both making ridiculous guitar faces all night.

One thing Ive been doing is mixing the actual 4x12 IRS I have with eminence speakers with the new eminence IRS that are supposed to be done in that 1x12

(Ownhanmer heavy hitters pack has a diezel 4x12 with governors) and the Kohler pack of course.

Been playing the eminence IRS for weeks now. They sound incredible to me.

Just to end the misinformation presented above.

The eminence IRS are done with Michael Britt, who makes IRS and kemper profiles. It is not just eminence by themselves. I think the comment about speaker manufacturers was mostly pointed towards celestion. I get that, their IRS seem to be hit or miss.

I play extreme metal of all kinds. Brutal death, grindcore you name it. The IRS of their metal speakers work wonderfully for metal. Really been loving the new DV77. Even considering it’s in a 1x12.
Which speakers did you buy? Like I said, I am interested in the Swamp Thang and the Wizard. Is there any you'd recommend besides the DV77? I have both the heavy hitters pack with the Diezel/Governors and the Kristian Kohler pack. Both are awesome!!!. I just don't know why Eminence would use 1x12 with a partially open back for hard rock/metal...but they're only 11 bucks. Maybe I should just go for it, eh? Could you post some clips of your brutal death metal/grindcore going through these IRs? That would really help me out.

Last edited:

Yeah but I wish they would include a folder with : try these first. Ownhammer and york do that and maybe others too. With redwirez you get an overload and really have to do research and some reading to know which to use. I’ m in that process now but find it really a hassle.

Yeah but I wish they would include a folder with : try these first. Ownhammer and york do that and maybe others too. With redwirez you get an overload and really have to do research and some reading to know which to use. I’ m in that process now but find it really a hassle.
Red Wirez doesn't have any mixes I'm aware of so yeah, it can be time consuming if you go through every IR. Even with OH, I had to go through the IRs when I couldn't find what I was looking for in the mixes so they really didn't help much in my use case.

After a while though it's pretty easy to know how each mic and mic placement affects the tone and what combination(s) give the desired type of tone. If you've done the research, like with real amps, and know what speaker you want to try and have at least a little experience with mic placement on a speaker it becomes quite simple.

I've put my Red Wirez in a folder with sub-folders sorted according to mic placement and distance. Before searching for an IR, I already know what type of speaker I want or at least what amp it's going to be used with. Then, if I want a brighter IR, I'll choose the cap edge @ 2-3 inches away folders and audition a couple of speakers. Darker, more full IRs will be the Cone or Cone Edge @ 0-1 inch away.

Wondering if anyone has checked the new Redwirez IRs ? I have the old ones, and just discovered that Redwirez has a new website, and new versions of their products.

Have you tried the York Audio Eminence pack? Its pretty good its a 2x12 though, I use it along side Jens bogren. Have you even tried GGD cabs? With the York Audio eminence pack it was suggested to change the Speaker impedance to a 2x12 Recto on the amp models.

Folks, before buying IRs, look through the factory cab page in the wiki. Fractal bundles a LOT of 3rd party, hand selected, IRs, so you'll be buying duplicates if you're not careful. These are the same IRs, they're just renamed and pre-bundled.
This isn’t entirely accurate. I can only speak for myself, but all packs purchased at www.yorkaudio.co are new captures that cannot be found in the factory cabs. However, the YA 412 Recto and YA Class-A 15w IRs found in the factory cabs are from my old Fractal exclusive “Bipolar” pack, but the factory cabs don’t include the multi-mic Mixes or the vast majority of the single mic captures that purchasers of that pack will have access to.

Just wanted to offer a little clarity on that. :)

I am wondering if any of you guys have tried out the Eminence speaker IRs? If so, what are your thoughts? I was looking at the Swamp Thang, Wizard, and Eric Johnson (for the cleans). My main style is hard rock/metal from the early 90s-2000s. I recently got some IRs from Celestion and Lancaster Audio that I honestly don't care for. I really like the quality of ValhallIR, ML Soundlab, and Ownhammer. Any opinions are appreciated and welcome. https://eminence-digital.com/
Did you try any https://www.drbonkerssoundlab.com/product-tag/eminence/ ?

This isn’t entirely accurate. I can only speak for myself, but all packs purchased at www.yorkaudio.co are new captures that cannot be found in the factory cabs. However, the YA 412 Recto and YA Class-A 15w IRs found in the factory cabs are from my old Fractal exclusive “Bipolar” pack, but the factory cabs don’t include the multi-mic Mixes or the vast majority of the single mic captures that purchasers of that pack will have access to.

Just wanted to offer a little clarity on that. :)
I totally agree.

It's the same situation with me too

After tried the legend i can t stand v30... I love the smoothness and i understand why mike soldano used for is slo which is my dream amp.. You can try both choptones or dr bonkers ir.. Personally i use e906 with r 121.. I ve tried almost every eminence ir.. Legend v12 still my favorite..

Folks, before buying IRs, look through the factory cab page in the wiki. Fractal bundles a LOT of 3rd party, hand selected, IRs, so you'll be buying duplicates if you're not careful. These are the same IRs, they're just renamed and pre-bundled.
The Valhallir IRs in the stock cab section of the Axefx III are from the VH-series, that has been retired some years ago, when we started the V2-line.

My first IRs were RedWirez. They have the Weber Blue Dog, among others, which is how I stumbled on them....

Back
Top Bottom