EMG's Through Axe FX2?

All my EMGs sound great with the AF2: SAs, 808s and 89s, and they are all louder than most passives - and for the rock sounds the 89s drive it better than the pups in my Gibson and Ibanezs

I do know that many of the 8 string players hate 808s since they don't deliver the low end needed for the very metal power chords an octave down.
To me they sound excellent, since I don't Djent or play chords that low, for me the bottom strings are for bass single notes

I would agree that they are not necessarily that much hotter than most passives. But they are more full range than most pick ups. This is particularly useful for getting a good acoustic simulation going.

Also, for people that are concerned with compression when using EMGs should try converting to 18v. This gives the pickups a lot more headroom and a more open sound compared to regular 9v. I have this in my Strat (with a universal route they fit in the gaps between the pups easily).

Last edited:
I think it's my guitar? last night before practice I raised the pickups put a new battery in and still sounded terrible and weak. it almost sounds like an emg with a dying battery but as I said I just put a brand new one
in. Any suggestions. When I had band practice I played my jp6 which has a crunch lab liquid fire set and it sounded great.

Probably been mentioned before, but you have changed your volume pot(s) as well? If I recall correctly, EMGs are best suited along with 25k pots, and most passives use 250k pots, bit of a difference there :)

Probably been mentioned before, but you have changed your volume pot(s) as well? If I recall correctly, EMGs are best suited along with 25k pots, and most passives use 250k pots, bit of a difference there :)

+1 what he said. That could affect your sound. My input is set to 43% and works for EMG, SD Blackout and PRS P24 passives. The active pickups tickle the red more though. I use the SD blackouts for massive lead play. They have wonderful sustain. PRS passive are more clear IMO and have a nice ring to them.

Back
Top Bottom