Emg weirdness?

stm113

Power User
Hey guys, pulled out a guitar i haven't played in a while that's equipped with Emg active 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. The guitar sounds like the tone knob is rolled back or maybe a wah pedal is on and stuck in a close to heal down position(the best way I can think to describe It). Sounds fine with my other guitar it surprises me as to me Emg actives tend to be a little bright. Anyone else experience any kind of weirdness like this running active Emg pickups into their A2?

Note:I did put a fresh battery in the guitar.

Thanks guys

Is the battery for the guitar ok? The treble is the first to go when the battery is low. I have a strat with 2 SA single coils and an 85 (tapped) and a mid boost (replacing the tone) and it sounds great - plenty of top end - too much in fact I always have the Amps presence down or off.

Last edited:
Does it sound strangely distorted even with clean tones? Than it is the battery..If the problem continues after replacing the battery, i strongly recommend to check the volume and tone knobs.

OP : "I put in a fresh battery"

10 posts "Battery"

:lol

It is easiest to test with another brand new battery just to rule it out... Otherwise you have to look at the switch or possibly some corrosion/gunk on the TRS jack in the guitar that is making the battery connection.

EMG 81/89 user here. Guitar sounds fantastic through the Axe.

(since it clearly hasn't been mentioned in the thread yet... have you tried replacing the battery?)

Ditto, got 81/89's in my PRS, sounds great through the Axe, so something's fishy with your guitar fo'sho.
From your description is definitely sounds like the pups aren't getting power, so try the suggestions from previous posts :)

My Steinberger GM7TA has EMG's and I must say, I love it. Sounds killer through my Axe FX. You may want to check your battery leads.

Peace,

Mj

Back
Top Bottom