Emergency request of presets set

Piing

Axe-Master
I haven’t played guitar with humans for about 10 years,since I came to Bangkok. Now I have the opportunity to join a band, and I must prepare a repertoire in a rush.

I would appreciate if anyone could share some preset, point me where to get/buy them, or indicate some tips for tweaking specific tones for this set.

I’ve just bought Moke’s “Enter Sandman” but it may need some rework. Perhaps because it doen's match with my Dimarzio Gravity Storm pickups on a RG550LTD (my other guitar is an American Deluxe Strat with the David Gilmour "Black Strat" pickup set - I guess that I will not need it for this set)

I also own the amazing Austin Buddy’s 1000+ Naked Amps for Axe-FX III (I’ve already found a good starting point for “Whole Lotta love” on preset “Supro 1984T Dual Tone” Scene 3).

I am already working a tone for ZZ-Top's Tush (my other thread about the"Cooper Time Tube").

With such a rush, it is difficult to find a balance between time for learning to play the songs and time for tweaking the tones :)

All My Life – Foo Fighters;
American Woman – Lenny Kravitz;
Back in Black – AC/DC;
Big Foot – Chickenfoot;
Californication – RHCP;
Come Closer – Chickenfoot;
Creep – Radiohead;
Enter Sandman – Metallica;
Foxy Lady – Chickenfoot version;
Heroes – David Bowie;
Highway Star – Chickenfoot version;
L.A. Woman – Billy Idol;
Monkey Wrench – Foo Fighters;
Oh Yeah – Chickenfoot;
Purple Rain – Prince;
Smells Like Teen Spirit – Nirvana;
Soap on a Rope – Chickenfoot;
Sweet Emotion – Aerosmith;
Tush ZZ Top;
Wake Up – Rage Against the Machine;
Whole Lotta a Love – Led Zeppelin;

No problem with Chikenfoot tones (I've already tweaked some Satch presets with the JS4510 that sound great with the Gravity Storm pups) but it would be fun to get a tone for John Lord’s solo at Highway Star. Minute 2:47 of this adrenaline-booster performance:

Last edited:
Wow, Sammy Hagar is impressive here.

Regarding cover songs: I've never been a fan of exactly copping guitar tones for doing covers live. I want to hear a guitar player's own tone. Also, adjusting carefully crafted presets from others can take as much time as it takes to create your own. Just use the clean, crunch and heavy tones YOU like as your main sounds, and use them as the basis for the majority of the songs. Then, when you need a trademark effect or amp tone that you can't create yourself, buy a preset if available and incorporate its secrets into your own.

Having said that, I have presets for Whole Lotta (middle part), Purple Rain somewhere.

For Heroes you need an Ebow.

Highway Star would be a Pitch block after the Amp, adding simple octaves (high 12th and low 12th, it seems).

Last edited:
Here's Purple Rain for the Axe-Fx III.
Ext 1 = Pedal (Wah).

I use global blocks but have them unlinked in this preset.

Attachments

• PURPLE RAIN.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
Here's Whole Lotta Love, for the AX8. Use FracTool to convert.

3 scenes: rhythm, middle, solo.

Made for stereo!

Increase Width in the Panner (Tremolo) for extreme stereo fx in the bridge.

Attachments

• WHOLE LOTTA.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Here is my creep preset. Scene 1 verse rhythm with trem scene II chorus rhythm heavy.
We also have a lead guitarist, but the scene II may work for that part too.

Attachments

• 1-2_Creep.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 39
There is a factory preset for AC/DC... Hell's Glockenspiels... Should get you in the ballpark for Back in Black.

A well played cover, be it an unique take on it, spot on accurate, etc, trumps perfect tone but with less than stellar playing.

Believe me, I know lol

I’ve spend countless hours chasing a Gilmour tone, bought all the “right” gear, reading, researching etc and I can get the tone very very close, but frankly my playing chops aren’t the best

Contrast that with some people I see on YouTube, who play through a POD, but spent all those hundreds of hours I spent on tone practicing and they sound way better than I do.

Point being, you’ve got a bunch of songs to learn and you could spend that time tweaking, or you could spend that time playing.

It’s not an absolute either/or thing, but don’t get too wrapped up in the tone quest as it’s a massive black hole of what is usually limited playing/practice time

Man, Chickenfoot's sound is MASSIVE! I need to get out to one of their shows....

I'm also in the "don't try and cop the exact tones" camp of cover songs. I don't even try to get in the ballpark. We do them our way.

A good Marshall preset with an od, delay, and verb should get you through that entire set until you can dial up specific presets for each song.

Thank you for the tips!

Yes, I am not ino exact-match tones, but there are some iconic songs that may require certain resemblance. Unless you play covers Van-Halen style :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom