Emergency Replacement for a dead AxeFX

I have a VG-99
sounds great, does all the same morphing stuff I do in the Axe..
and so far it's been bullet proof..

I've thought about picking up an old GT-8 for cheap as a backup too. Used to have one pre-Axe days, and while a lot of it was rubbish, there were a few decent tones in there. Especially running into a tube poweramp and cab (although I sure as hell wouldn't be lugging around a tube poweramp just for a backup rig). And having the amps, FX and controller all in one is handy, especially with how flexible the assigns can be.

I use a Roland GR-55 with the Axe, so my backup is already on the floor ready to go. I would have to grab a stereo DI from my bag to connect it to the XLRs already connected to the Axe, though.

I'm also considering carrying a spare power supply for Axe in my bag. I could swap that out in 10 minutes.

I am pretty sure FAS would not recommend customers with no electronics experience doing repairs at a gig. :nightmare:

But, I for one am very interested in the option raised by Phostenix - "... carrying a spare power supply for Axe in my bag." :geek

What is the part number and where can we place an order for a spare power supply?

What other spare parts should we bring with us to a gig?

What are the part numbers and where can we place an order for them as well?

Mouser axe fx 2 power supply link

I am pretty sure FAS would not recommend customers with no electronics experience doing repairs at a gig. :nightmare:

But, I for one am very interested in the option raised by Phostenix - "... carrying a spare power supply for Axe in my bag." :geek

What is the part number and where can we place an order for a spare power supply?

What other spare parts should we bring with us to a gig?

What are the part numbers and where can we place an order for them as well?

I carry a spare with me since losing my axe live on tour.

It's just the screws on the lid four screws on the supply and two molex connectors. Five. Minute job.

Part is currently cheapest $42 at digikey here:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?vendor=0&keywords=LPT42

$60 at mouser:

http://sg.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...=sGAEpiMZZMsPs3th5F8koC2sObuvShnMftt3EqbU9U4=

Last edited:
LOL. LE$$ VALUE? Mouser was seriously backordered so I bought one from Digi-Key for only $42.64 :encouragement:

Very strange as I paid $42 from mouser a few weeks ago, now they are $60???

The medical though is $80 and meets medical standards whatever those may be, wondering if its more robust as most medical products.

Digikey has the medical for $52

Last edited:
My mini rig.. :)

Alesis IO Dock running Amplitube.
Has decent sound, multiple patches, hopefully I will have a foot controller soon. BlueBoard.

Very strange as I paid $42 from mouser a few weeks ago, now they are $60???

The medical though is $80 and meets medical standards whatever those may be, wondering if its more robust as most medical products.

Digikey has the medical for $52

I have decades of standards experience from my days at Bell Labs - and this is pure speculation on my part - but it could be that the medical standards are for testing criteria that is completely inapplicable to the Axe FX II's intended performance load and operating environment.

More speculation - the LPT42-M could very well be the same exact power supply as the LPT42 (i.e., both may be tested to the additional medical standard) and they just slap an "-M" at the end of the part number for ordering purposes and charge twice the price for ... wait for it ... the certificate of compliance that comes with passing the medical standard (i.e., for competitive/compliance purposes in the medical device marketplace). :lol

Its all speculation - however, I did check the actual manufacturer's spec listed under the LPT42-M and , no surprise here, it was the same tech spec for the LPT42 (i.e., I found only a LPT40 Series spec to be more precise - there was no LPT40-M Series spec listed under the LPT40-M). ;)

So, I'll stick with the LPT42 unless FAS advises otherwise. :encouragement:

After all, if LPT42 (and not LPT42-M) is the part selected by FAS for use in the Axe FX II then my choice is simple.

BTW - I noticed that you are located in New Jersey - I live in East Brunswick

Thanks for all your help Molten! :)

I always set up a Zoom G-3 with a Behringer Ultra-G GI 100 DI next to my MFC, do soundcheck with it too, so it's on everyone's In Ears, should something happened at last minute all I have to do is plug a cable, so far the AXE 2 hasn't ever giving me any problems in tons of gigs everywhere, I'd hate to have to use the ZOOM but it would get me thru the gig..

Considering that one of the main reasons I've moved to the Axe/FRFR world is to try to cut down on how much stuff I take to a gig*, the last thing I want to drag around is a combo or guitar amp. Therefore, I'm taking my old Tonelab LE with me which, at least, I can use with my CLR and FOH. I really hope I don't need to use it though...

* I suspect this is just as big a myth as the "paperless office" that computers were supposed to bring... :-/

This was mentioned as a side topic in another thread, but I believe it deserves it's own...

It's almost time to go on stage and your AxeFX dies! now what? You have under 10 minutes to set something up. You have to go to your bag of emergency items and pull something out that will carry you through the gig. What is your emergency replacement item??

Someone mentioned HERE that they use a Randall RG13. That seems like a viable solution. What else?...

I have a Behringer VAMP-PRO, same connectivity as the II. Already using a Behringer FCB1010, just had to make the AXE the same on the CC's. Takes less than 2 minutes to swap out...I take the VAMP with me to gigs, and leave it on stage.
Cheapo back up, I paid under $100.00 for mine NEW.

So I wonder, if we get/got one to have as an immediate backup spare would FAS refund us the purchase price of the PSU if it had to be installed while still under the basic warannty or extended warranty? Anybody with experince?

Are any of these floor based units capable of going direct to FOH. I don't have a guitar cab with me live. And I don't want to lug a backup amp everywhere.

So I wonder, if we get/got one to have as an immediate backup spare would FAS refund us the purchase price of the PSU if it had to be installed while still under the basic warannty or extended warranty? Anybody with experince?

Doubtful, fractal buys in bulk I'm sure and also opening the unit while under warranty voids said warranty.

Are any of these floor based units capable of going direct to FOH. I don't have a guitar cab with me live. And I don't want to lug a backup amp everywhere.

The Tech 21 British Character Pedal has a built-in Speaker Sim, voiced to sound like greenbacks. It's switchable from the top panel.

BritishControls_lg.jpg

Considering that one of the main reasons I've moved to the Axe/FRFR world is to try to cut down on how much stuff I take to a gig*, the last thing I want to drag around is a combo or guitar amp. Therefore, I'm taking my old Tonelab LE with me which, at least, I can use with my CLR and FOH. I really hope I don't need to use it though...

* I suspect this is just as big a myth as the "paperless office" that computers were supposed to bring... :-/

I started out with my Axe just in the home recording rack. Amazing. A couple of 4x12 cabs, a 2x12, some tube amps and rack gear and rack FX, floor and desk modellers, MIDI controllers... all that stuff gone. Perfect rig in a tiny little enclosure that sits in a rack that's already there anyway.

Then I decided to join a band again.

Now it's an unreasonably heavy 6U rack, a deceptively heavy case with the MFC and two SP-1s, plus a 2x12 cab. Evidently somewhere along the way my brain left the conversation...

I still have my Digitech RP1000 floorboard multi-fx lying around which I used before I got the Axe, but I don't want to spend time dialing in backup presets. It sounds like ass in comparison. :p

Back
Top Bottom