Emergency devices to load/back-up sounds live

Danny Danzi

Power User
Hi Guys,

I'm sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to post this, but I was wondering...what do you guys bring with you to gigs that has your Axe and MFC back up info on it and what types of devices can I use? I don't want to do anything live and in real time like use Axe Edit. What I mean by live is...I want to be able to send my sounds back in if by chance I lose them all.

I really don't want anything big...no laptop or anything. Will some of these notebooks or super small systems allow the installation of the Fractal drivers and software?

I have an old Yamaha MDF ( http://c1.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/MDF3-c1f92cb0b4973a334b80ed76a21eff35.jpg ) floppy unit (1.44 floppy disk) that I have used for 100 years for my 2101. Most of the Fractal saves I have are 811kb but not all of them would fit on one floppy disk as you know...and it's midi as opposed to usb. Do you think I'd be ok with something like that? I figure I could have the master file always there to back me up and then any cab files or presets that I need on other disks if need be. But I'd get something else if you guys recommended it. This brings me to another question...

When I back up my Axe, it says it's backing everything up and shows everything to be backed up. Yet, the software says cabs 51 on up will not be saved, yet they seem to be saved using the right name. Is this just something in the software that hasn't been removed yet? I see my cabs after 50 being backed up with the correct names and they seem to be working when I load them up....so I just assumed they really were being backed up.

Save All question: I really just want to be able to run one sysx file that has all my Axe info on it. If I save and export a system.syx right now, and all my sounds in the unit right now were erased, will it literally load everything in my Axe exactly the way it was? I did this one time and it was missing presets. I had to literally load 2 of my presets back in that I had backed up individually. Could it have been a glitch? Thanks in advance.

-Danny

Could have been a glitch, where you on the same FW before and after you had your backup when you did it at that time?

A full backup system file should load in everything the way it was when you made the backup, at least that´s how I´ve understood it. I don´t see the point otherwise, if you had a "full" backup but yet needed to alter/adjust a lot of settings ´cause that wouldn´t be saved in a full backup.

Don´t forget that you also have your own internal backup memory in your AxeII too...

I think any unit that can keep and playback your SysEx files would be sufficient, but if floppy are the only memory. It won´t take you that far. There are second hand units out there more or less advance that fits these kind of situations close to perfectly. It´s a matter of choice and their aviability. Then of course it´s a matter of how much of a smooth operation you need it to be, when doing such things. Old units may be a bit clumsy or difficult in their UI.

To my knowledge:

Liquid Track Audio Players (rackunit that are in fact aviable, can use USB memory IIRC)

MidiTemp Multiplayer/Multistation (discontinued rackunits, these units had their internal HDD among others options aviable too)

SD MMC The New SD-MMC Memory Card Midi Controller-Data Filer from www.sdmidcontroller.com, this one would perhaps be the smallest physical size aviable but probably enough memory. Although I´m not sure if it handles SysEx (IMO it should, but don´t take my word for it I don´t own one nor have tested one). They mention this being an "perfect" alternative to Yamaha MDF. And they even got an DIY kit too. Can´t speak anything for how it is in making any business with them as I don´t know that.

SD card file player (another option) MGB - MIDI Gadgets Boutique, similar and looks the same as above and for a reason. If I´ve got the clues right: these SD card units were developed by some german DIY enthusiast, and then different manufacturers have got their license for making and selling them. However, MIDI Gadgets Boutique are actually ones I´ve made business with (but another product). Very smooth and easy in my experience.

Also - you CAN back up everything to non-volatile RAM in the unit itself - very handy, and short of a complete Axe melt down, fairly fool proof.

Could have been a glitch, where you on the same FW before and after you had your backup when you did it at that time?

A full backup system file should load in everything the way it was when you made the backup, at least that´s how I´ve understood it. I don´t see the point otherwise, if you had a "full" backup but yet needed to alter/adjust a lot of settings ´cause that wouldn´t be saved in a full backup.

Don´t forget that you also have your own internal backup memory in your AxeII too...

I think any unit that can keep and playback your SysEx files would be sufficient, but if floppy are the only memory. It won´t take you that far. There are second hand units out there more or less advance that fits these kind of situations close to perfectly. It´s a matter of choice and their aviability. Then of course it´s a matter of how much of a smooth operation you need it to be, when doing such things. Old units may be a bit clumsy or difficult in their UI.

To my knowledge:

Liquid Track Audio Players (rackunit that are in fact aviable, can use USB memory IIRC)

MidiTemp Multiplayer/Multistation (discontinued rackunits, these units had their internal HDD among others options aviable too)

SD MMC The New SD-MMC Memory Card Midi Controller-Data Filer from www.sdmidcontroller.com, this one would perhaps be the smallest physical size aviable but probably enough memory. Although I´m not sure if it handles SysEx (IMO it should, but don´t take my word for it I don´t own one nor have tested one). They mention this being an "perfect" alternative to Yamaha MDF. And they even got an DIY kit too. Can´t speak anything for how it is in making any business with them as I don´t know that.

SD card file player (another option) MGB - MIDI Gadgets Boutique, similar and looks the same as above and for a reason. If I´ve got the clues right: these SD card units were developed by some german DIY enthusiast, and then different manufacturers have got their license for making and selling them. However, MIDI Gadgets Boutique are actually ones I´ve made business with (but another product). Very smooth and easy in my experience.

Thanks for all that, Mike. I really appreciate it. Yeah I'm not sure what happened, but it was just recent. I was backing up my version 13 patches...reloaded them because I did an initialization and when I sent my sys file back in, 2 patches were missing. I'll have to try it again.

Also - you CAN back up everything to non-volatile RAM in the unit itself - very handy, and short of a complete Axe melt down, fairly fool proof.

plyall: thanks a lot. Can you tell me how I go about doing this? Though it would be nice to know how to do it, I'd still want to definitely go with something that would handle a complete melt-down because that would just be my luck. LOL! :)

laptop w ext hdd & thumb drive. all have current copies of my patches.

Thanks ianx, I knew the lappy thing would work. I was curious if one of those notebooks or whatever they have these days would handle it. The smaller the better. If my freakin phone had a USB port and could handle the Fractal software, I have all my stuff backed up on my drop box account....I could load it right back if I had to. LOL!

Thanks so much again for the quick and informative responses, everyone. I really do appreciate them. :)

I have an old 7" asus eee pc with win7 that I bought on ebay several years ago. As far as USB goes, it's no different than my 'real' laptop or desktop.

If you have an iDevice you can use iRig MIDI with its included software to record a SysEX dump of your Axe-Fx.

Back
Top Bottom