EMERGENCY!!! Calling all country pickers!!!

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
I have about 48 hours and the internet to learn how to play country like someone who knows what they're doing would play it.

My music theory is rock solid. Fingers know what they're doing. Don't know any country covers at all, no experience with it since college. Mostly a rock/metal background.

Any good sites you guys use for quick "how to play country" tips/lessons?

Any suggestions on what amp models I should build around? I use Les Pauls, dual humbucker (hot PAF style) pups. I'm thinking the Morgans & AC30's, maybe Dr.Z stuff, Badcat, Badgers, Triptik & BE for gain (or maybe go the plexi route for that?)... any guys around here that do the Nashville thing have pointers?

Shit, do country guitarists use effects??? :shock

Seriously, any & all help is both needed & appreciated! :D

I think the 1st thing you need to do is figure out which type of Country.

Hit up Youtube, there are a lot of vids on Country styles, techniques, and licks.

Calm down! Major and minor blues pentatonic still applies - your licks will work! You can do it! "Modern" country guitar is mostly hard rock anyways. Get a Tele with a Dr. Z, some slap back reverb and a tube screamer and you are set.

Side note: drink Whiskey and wear jeans, cowboy boots/hat, and a fancy button up shirt. Sell you car for a truck if you can...

Listen to songs of the type you're going to play. Watch videos if possible, to see how they play it. Figure out what the rhythm players are doing.

If you're going for a traditional country style, play your leads over the chord of the moment, not just the scale.

And steal other people's licks like crazy. I don't know any way to become fluent in any style in 48 hours.

Truck. Check!
Jeans. Check!
Whiskey. Check! Check! Check!
Hat & boots... got a Cav stetson tucked away somewhere, and combat boots will have to do. Sort of check!
Had the country tv station going since I OP'd and have been playing along. Thank god for the major blues scale, and mixolydian over damn near everything!
Is sweeping generally frowned upon? :D

If you're going for that chicken-picking polyphonic country style a la Mason/ Lee... good luck getting that halfway down in that time...
Yes, please post your results!
To get through: yes, major minor pentatonics/ blues scale and lots of diatonic chord tones.
You can absolutely do it with a Les Paul, bridge PUP with volume turned slightly down, amp set to edge of breakup, compressor clamping quite a bit - try it with a fast attack and fast to medium release and a 60% mix.

brush up on your 3rds and 6ths double stops and bent double stops. Run through a few lessons on pedal steel emulation. Lots of major pentatonic and playing chromatic passing notes around chord tones.

put a pedal conpressor at the front of your chain to eliminate most of the pick transient, use a short slapback delay and a little verb.

play it all on a Tele

That should get you started ;)

Listen to songs of the type you're going to play. Watch videos if possible, to see how they play it. Figure out what the rhythm players are doing.

If you're going for a traditional country style, play your leads over the chord of the moment, not just the scale.

And steal other people's licks like crazy. I don't know any way to become fluent in any style in 48 hours.
Spot on Rex!
If the band has a piano player..I would defer as many solos to them as possible. He has got some serious shedding to do if it's a 4 hour gig.

Dude, you gotta bust out on stage with that 7 string! :mrgreen I mean, come on, get some of that low B in there!

Oh and good luck, not much help from me on the country thingy. :encouragement:

It's actually easier to prove the Riemann hypothesis than to learn to play country in 48H

Thanks guys!
To clarify a little (I just got some clarification myself), looks like most of my job will be leads & fills. Also, this is a short turn-around for an audition to do fill-in and maybe full time stuff if it all pans out... I don't have a day and change now before hopping on stage. Kinda' upstart outfit over here, nothing even close to big time, I'm told it's 90% newer stuff (whew!) and some older covers played in a more contemporary style (which, IDK, probably is going to be more of a tonal thing than a truly different style). I'm thinking I can fake it 'til I make it. I'll see what I can do about vids, but no promises since I don't have any equipment for that.
Definitely appreciate the tips guys! I will be ripping off licks like crazy! I figure some Timmons stuff, Urban, and generic pentatonic stuff will work for now.

I could really use some help in narrowing down a list of which amps to use. I'd like to build 4 presets, each with two scenes (more or less boost on or off): (1) super piano clean like you'd hear on a ballad-y track, (2) Paisley kinda' twangy, (3) AC-30 type cranked to meltdown, thick but still bright, (4) and something smooth & more liquid, but not overly aggressive.
I figure that'll cover the basics for now. I went through the Wiki late last night and came up with a list of what I presume to be appropriate amp models for country. Anyone care to pick out favorites from this list? The ones in bold are where my head is kinda' at right now. I would like some "continuity" between the amps & presets... probably share a 212 blueback IR between them along with generic pre & post EQ so it won't sound like I just unplugged and jacked into a different amp every time I switch presets.

65 Bassman / Marshall JTM 45 / Friedman Dirty Shirley
Morgan AC20 / Vox AC-30 HW / Matchless DC-30 / Paul Ruby Rocket / Trainwreck Liverpool
Carol Ann Triptik
Carr Rambler / Fender Deluxe / Fender Deluxe Reverb
Bogner Shiva
Badcat Hotcat30r
Dr.Z Route 66 / Dr.Z MAZ 8 / Dr.Z MAZ 38 Sr
Suhr Badger
Mesa Lonestar

I'm sort of thinking either Triptik or Lonestar cleans, Dr.Z for twang, Badcat doing the AC-30 thing (maybe not the best match for the style, but I really dig that model), and probably the Friedman DS (maybe the Suhr) for hotter leads?

Back
Top Bottom