Emergency boot ROM installation via USB?

pima1234

Fractal Fanatic
Is it possible now to reboot the Axe FX after installing the ROM with USB?

There is some discussion about this topic at the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-FX group on facebook.

Someone else had the same issue I did with installing FW v12.03, and was told by someone at G66 that USB is now possible.

Otherwise, there is another expensive involved in purchasing a compatible MIDI to USB converter (accompanied by the wait for those of us who can't just run out and buy one!).

Please advise. Thank you!

From the Eprom install guide:

6. Install the latest firmware as follows:
• Via USB
- Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer via USB.
- Press Ctrl and click the Device dropdown (use Command on OS X).
- Select "Boot ROM" from the Device dropdown.
- Select output port - AXE-FX II MIDI.
- Browse to firmware .syx file.
- Press ENTER on the front panel of the Axe-Fx II to put the unit into firmware update mode.
- Click Fractal-Bot's BEGIN button, then click SEND.

• Via MIDI cable
- Connect the Axe-Fx II to your computer via a MIDI interface.
- Press Ctrl and click the Device dropdown (use Command on OS X).
- Select "Boot ROM" from the Device dropdown.
- Select the output port corresponding to your MIDI interface's output port.
- Browse to firmware .syx file.
- Press ENTER on the front panel of the Axe-Fx II to put the unit into firmware
update mode.
- Click Fractal-Bot's BEGIN button, then click SEND..

So yes USB works.

Had the same issue but installed it via midi. usb hasn't worked for me and good luck that i have a gordius midicontroller that includes the midi interface.

so there is a lot of people like me these same the same issues with the EPROM.... Very, very common, will be great fix it in the future to avoid this problem. Probably was in my case when I am updating the firmware by the fractal boy a video on YouTube was running on my PC. Only this. Maybe it causes the problem?

Well, shoot. I'm really hoping USB works. The EPROM is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my Axe up and running again that night.

In the meantime, A Fender Mustang Floor arrives some time today. I'll spend tonight setting that up. It will serve as a back up to the Axe FX, and for my students to use. Bonus that I can use it for small pit gigs along with one of my wedges.

Maybe the Fractal Floor Axe FX will be released in the near future. That would be a preferable back up.

Well, shoot. I'm really hoping USB works. The EPROM is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm hoping to have my Axe up and running again that night.

I used USB with this method as directed from Fractal support:

Use MidiOx and jumper pin method. One you load the FW with that method, backup ALL user/downloaded presets and load the factory presets/defaults. Then retry/reload as usual. I believe gen.2 Axe II's have an EPROM in them but would need confirmation on this... anyone?

Here are the instructions I got from Matt:
WARNING/AVIS! REFER SERVICING TO QUALIFIED PERSONNEL. SHOCK HAZARD! RISQUE DE CHOC ÉLECTRIQUE! TO REDUCE RISK DO NOT EXPOSE TO RAIN OR MOISTURE. DO NOT REMOVE COVER. NO USER SERVICEABLE PARTS.

Instructions for qualified service technician:

1. Remove the screws holding the cover. Lift the cover slowly and note the fan wires running from the cover to the motherboard.

2. Disconnect the fan wire connector noting the location of the connector.

3. Locate the enclosed EPROM. Install the EPROM in the empty socket in the motherboard noting the orientation of the EPROM. The socket will have an indexed corner. Be sure to install the EPROM so that the indeces align.

4. Locate the enclosed 2-pin jumper. Place the jumper over the FLASH BOOT header J26.

5. Connect the power and turn the unit on. The unit should automatically show the firmware update screen.

6. Install the latest firmware. IMPORTANT: FRACTAL-BOT CANNOT BE USED TO INSTALL FIRMWARE DURING EMERGENCY RECOVERY. For instructions on how to use MIDI-OX or SNOIZE, see

http://support.fractalaudio.com/inde...ysex-librarian

Firmware includes an "Update Guide" with other information you should review.

7. Once the firmware update is complete, power the unit off and disconnect the power.

8. Remove the 2-pin jumper from J26. The EPROM can be left in the socket.

9. Reconnect power and turn the unit on and make sure it boots properly. Turn power off and disconnect power.

10. Plug the fan connector into the fan header and reinstall the cover. Make sure to orient the cover so that the fan is over the heatsinks.

Okay, in reference the backup modeler that arrived to today... Once you have the Axe FX, nothing else compares! I mean, wow! What a difference. Still, it will be sufficient for a back up.

Back
Top Bottom