emergency axe won't boot at soundcheck

Shut it down for a few minutes and then turn it back on. Mine freezes like that on occasion, but generally a power cycle fixes it.

Good luck!

I reckon he's sorting it...

methodically...

hammer.gif

It tries to startup but junk on screen

I recently had the same problem, it was very scary. Each time I switched the Axe-Fx on, the display only showed junk. I unplugged everything (EVERYTHING!) from it and after 15 minuted I only plugged the power cable back and the unit booted up as usual. This never happened again.

My Monster 2500A turns my stuff on and off sequenced. i have never, ever seen anything but normal on/offs.

Reminds me though, not to hijack Sim....there was an old thread with replacement DC supplies listed. Anyone remeber the vendor ?

ahh... seen this one late...

Sim - I hope everything worked out ok in the end for ya...
scary thread this is...

What firmware? There is another thread about the same freeze upon start up only after loading 10.02.

ahh... seen this one late...

Sim - I hope everything worked out ok in the end for ya...
scary thread this is...

When you tour Clarky - you know what to throw in the luggage - a spare Power supply unit (link in a post above) and an eprom battery or 2 ... and a laptop with your backup on it ..... oh .... clean underwear and a few cans of baked beans too

Hope it worked out ok Sim ....

Good luck, man I feel your pain. Can you open it and re seat the cables? maybe something came loose in transit.

This does bring to light it might be time to buy a back-up AxeFX or a pod as a backup for myself.

When you tour Clarky - you know what to throw in the luggage - a spare Power supply unit (link in a post above) and an eprom battery or 2 ... and a laptop with your backup on it ..... oh .... clean underwear and a few cans of baked beans too

Hope it worked out ok Sim ....

I'm coming to the same conclusion...

better still... a 2nd Axe-II

One time the crew fed me the wrong voltage. I can't remember how much but my Axe acted crazy. After a minute I noticed the voltage on my power conditioner display. After getting correct voltage everything was fine. I check the display now.

well that was a stressful evening!

first my car broke down and one of the guys had to come and get me (and i live way out in the sticks) so we were late for soundcheck to start with

then when i turned on the axe, the screen just showed LCD "noise" like snow and all the level lights came on and stayed on.

i tried holding down "recall" while booting up, but that did nothing. ok, not a corrupt preset.

because i had the laptop with me, i thought i'd try reinstalling the firmware. i'd backed up my presets earlier in the day with axe edit and installed 10.2, so i thought if the firmware was corrupt i might be able to fix it. no usb cable...shit. singer went home and returned later with every cable from his house. no usb cable. so he took the bass player home to get one. tried connecting with fractal bot, but no joy.

checking the forum on the keyboard player's blackberry (which other band member would have a blackberry...right?). and i gotta say it was very heartening to see you guys bumping the thread to the top and trying to help me. a big thank you to everyone who made suggestions!

so the singer and the drummer go off to try and find me an amp

at this point in time, i'm about ready to call the gig off. and it's not a small one either. it's a mid sized venue and people have paid to come and see us do a genesis tribute...and my nerves are shot about now...

so final attempt. the keyboard player and i get the axe out of the rack and try to pop the lid. two screws won't come out!!! fortunately, they're both on the same side, so i'm able to prise the lid up just enough to get my fingers in and press down on the ribbon connectors. they don't feel loose, but i press those fuckers good, anyway

power on - success!!

20 mins till showtime the audience is half in and we haven't had a full band soundcheck and the snooty sound guy is acting all cool, but you can tell he's pissed off.

anyway, we actually did a pretty good show at the end of all that

so - software problem, or hardware problem? i did see someone mention about 10.2 having a startup glitch or something?

all i know is, if i'd been wearing a fractalaudio t-shirt, i definitely wouldn't have got so stressed about it....oh wait... :)

ps - just to say, i did email fractal support, but got no response...

thanks again guys

Wow! What a gig! Sounds like hardware not software. Maybe it took a bump and disconnected on the way over.

yeah, most likely. at least if it happens again, i'll know what to do. appropriately sized phillips head screwdriver now part of gig kit... :)

wow ! ! !

I'm so glad it all worked out ok in the end...

I've been in a similar situation myself a few years back when one of my 2120's decided to die on stage, mid song..
fortunately, I had two and managed to quickly cut over to the reserve
later that night in the hotel I took a look at the dead one and found a loose ribbon cable connection on the mother board..
sorted it, powered it up ok but it lost it's config [which I was able to re-load from the reserve 2120]
for the remainder of the tour everything was ok...
but it still puts you on edge even though everything is mended..

can be quite fragile all this stuff... even when you are fortunate enough to ensure it's travels are careful and gentle [which I cannot due to airport goons]

I think you've kinda made my mind up for me.. as soon as is possible I'm going to get a 2nd Axe-II...
plus, I'm not overly fond of having 'non-like' systems as a reserves

Back
Top Bottom