Embedded media not working

DLC86

Fractal Fanatic
Hi, since a few days some embedded media on the forum doesn't work on my smartphone browser (Brave browser), this is what I see in place of soundcloud and amazon links:

IMG_20200311_132729.jpg

Anyone have an idea on what could be the culprit?
I see them correctly if I open the same page on chrome or other browsers

For the record, other forums are working correctly on the same browser (tgp for example) and this same forum works correctly on the same browser installed in another device.
Weird.

Brave browser is Chromium-based, and Chromium-based browsers recently went through some problems playing videos (I don't know about embedded media) due to incompatibilities between the latest versions of Chromium and certain versions of ffmpeg (the codec library used for video playback).

I recently had to go through a bunch of steps to get videos working again in Opera (which is also based on Chromium) on my wife's Android device for this reason, and on my MX Linux laptop. Then, when the Android device was ready for an OS/platform update, I uninstalled what I'd done (which "unfixed" the videos), did the update, and, hey presto, the videos were working after the update (so I guess they figured out the problem and made the fix part of their update).

Since you haven't said what version of Brave you're on, what the smartphone is, whether it's Android, what version of Android, etc., obviously I can't know that your situation is the same as what we dealt with. (And although they're both Chromium-based, Brave and Opera are different.)

Still, I'd look into the possibility of a fix involving using a different version of ffmpeg...or else, getting the latest update either for Brave, or for your smartphone's system, if you haven't already.

Brave browser is Chromium-based, and Chromium-based browsers recently went through some problems playing videos (I don't know about embedded media) due to incompatibilities between the latest versions of Chromium and certain versions of ffmpeg (the codec library used for video playback).

I recently had to go through a bunch of steps to get videos working again in Opera (which is also based on Chromium) on my wife's Android device for this reason, and on my MX Linux laptop. Then, when the Android device was ready for an OS/platform update, I uninstalled what I'd done (which "unfixed" the videos), did the update, and, hey presto, the videos were working after the update (so I guess they figured out the problem and made the fix part of their update).

Since you haven't said what version of Brave you're on, what the smartphone is, whether it's Android, what version of Android, etc., obviously I can't know that your situation is the same as what we dealt with. (And although they're both Chromium-based, Brave and Opera are different.)

Still, I'd look into the possibility of a fix involving using a different version of ffmpeg...or else, getting the latest update either for Brave, or for your smartphone's system, if you haven't already.
Thanks for the detailed answer.
I'm on a Redmi Note 7 with the latest available version of Android (9 dot something).
First things I did was, erase brave's data and cache, then downloaded the latest version of brave but none of this solved the issue.
To further expand on this, the problem is not on every embedded media, youtube videos are working fine, as well as google drive's audio player.
Till now I've experienced it only on soundcloud and amazon links

When you talked to the Brave browser people, what'd they say? The invariant here is your browser so start there. Nothing changed on the forum.

When you talked to the Brave browser people, what'd they say? The invariant here is your browser so start there. Nothing changed on the forum.
Haven't talked to them yet but I'll try 👍
I asked here just in case someone else had the same issue and knew how to solve it.

DLC86:

youtube videos are working fine

Ah. So that might not be ffmpeg-related, in that case. With the problem my wife and I encountered, YouTube wouldn't play.

I'm not sure how adept you are at HTML and such things, but, if you have any skills in that department, you could try examining the webpage source code or DOM using the browser's Developer Tools, to see if there's a difference between the HTML tags used for embedding the video/media.

If you found, for example, that all the working ones used <object> and all the failing ones used <video> or <embed> or something like that, you could then go back to Google something like "<video> tag always fails playback in Brave v.1.5.7" (or whatever version of Brave you have).

I know I have a few things that don't work depending on where I'm at. SoundCloud won't work at work, as certain domains are blocked. I know at home, I can't see any of the Facebook related stuff, as I have a few thousand Facebook related domains blocked at my router level. That occasionally sucks when they are only live streaming some event there, but better than allowing that cancer into my house.

Back
Top Bottom