Elliot Easton 1978/79?

CactusTone

Inspired
Does anybody know what amp/amps Elliot Easton used in the late 70s? I've heard some say Vox for studio and Marshall live, but nothing on which specific flavors of each.

I used a V4 half stack for a while. Sounded incredible at painful sound levels, not great set lower. The Scholz Power Soak made it come to life at lower volume, but it toasted tubes. Nothing's free!

I totally underestimated his playing ability until I tried to learn the solo for Just What I Needed note for note due to my band covering it. He was great at blending multiple styles in the same solo.

He was an absolute artist at the tasteful quick solo. He threw out ideas and packed more punch into a short time than any guitarist I've heard...ever.

Keep in mind there was some studio artistry there too. I listen to live stuff from him, and the solos were there, but it sounded so much...less than the recordings.

The tone seems pretty simple on the clean stuff...I would suggest a tele and a very clean amp that only breaks when you REALLY dig in. The more pushed stuff doesn't seem more than an FET drive in front or try the new shimmer with low drive. You might try the HAAS delay in there to give it more of that 'fullness' that you're missing.

Coincidentally, Elliot Easton sent me a friend request on Facebook yesterday through a mutual friend.

Coincidentally, Elliot Easton sent me a friend request on Facebook yesterday through a mutual friend.

Always loved how creative Elliot is. Seems like he's on the edge but in the pocket at the same time. Often brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom