Elixir strings

After using paradigm for a year a decided to try out elixir optiweb. Paradigm has a tight bite to them the that really nails it if you're using high gain amps like the rectifier - but as I'm not an everyday high gain amp player I find the optiweb more nuanced and better suited for my needs - which is clean and close to breakup. I tried elixir 7-8 years ago and at that time I could not use them. So to me the optiweb is the first ones I like and they last a long time. The paradigm had to go after two months of daily playing. The optiweb I change after 3-4 months.

After using paradigm for a year a decided to try out elixir optiweb. Paradigm has a tight bite to them the that really nails it if you're using high gain amps like the rectifier - but as I'm not an everyday high gain amp player I find the optiweb more nuanced and better suited for my needs - which is clean and close to breakup. I tried elixir 7-8 years ago and at that time I could not use them. So to me the optiweb is the first ones I like and they last a long time. The paradigm had to go after two months of daily playing. The optiweb I change after 3-4 months.
Humm, I might have to try the optiweb.

I tried the Otiwebs about a year ago and was not impressed. That's actually where I first ran into the intonation issues. I had to reset 3 of the strings and the G string was way off. I didn't find them much different sounding from the Nanos. Maybe a little duller on the top.

I can't get accustomed to coated strings. As the coatings on Optiweb / Nanoweb strings lose integrity, the strings begin to look "flocked" and feel like they vibrate less freely. They also feel like there is slightly more friction against the frets. Granted, I am a total nerd about efficiency in playing. I started using Stringjoys lately, and they're really lovely. They last a long time and feel especially smooth.

I use Elixir nanowebs on every guitar I own playing Periphery & Black Dahlia Murder to Gypsy Jazz and I love them!
I find I that NYXL's aren't as bright/spanky and lose life quicker. I clean my strings before/after playing and change them about every 150 hours or every two months on that guitar and they are still not completely dull sounding. I use the NYXL's for the lower tunings because gauge selection in Elixir is seriously lacking. I use the 8 string set of Elixirs and treat them like a set of 10's on my 7 string and rock the low .74 in drop Ab 25.5" scale and it's perfect tension.
I think the fuzz you guys are referring to is pick dust. I use Jazz 3 XL 1mm picks and grind the life out of them. No matter what strings I use, I will generate a grip pick dust from 1 session of playing. On bass I use .73 tortex, same thing.

I use Elixir nanowebs on every guitar I own playing Periphery & Black Dahlia Murder to Gypsy Jazz and I love them!
I find I that NYXL's aren't as bright/spanky and lose life quicker. I clean my strings before/after playing and change them about every 150 hours or every two months on that guitar and they are still not completely dull sounding. I use the NYXL's for the lower tunings because gauge selection in Elixir is seriously lacking. I use the 8 string set of Elixirs and treat them like a set of 10's on my 7 string and rock the low .74 in drop Ab 25.5" scale and it's perfect tension.
I think the fuzz you guys are referring to is pick dust. I use Jazz 3 XL 1mm picks and grind the life out of them. No matter what strings I use, I will generate a grip pick dust from 1 session of playing. On bass I use .73 tortex, same thing.
I get the same fuzz with my BlueChip picks, and they don't really wear or generate pick dust at all. I still get the flaking on Elixers and don't noticed any difference compared to regular picks.

Any of you guys using the D’addario XT
I’ve started using them as I ran into intonations issues with the elexir optiweb .
But it seems like the uncoated strings E and B are braking quite easily. I had hardly any broken strings with the elexiers🤔

Been using the nanowebs for about 6-7 years now. Hard for me to use anything else short of having a live-in guitar tech lol! I just kill normal strings so fast. I have not noticed quality overall dipping but I do know my strings are due for a change when the intonation starts getting a fudged up.

elixir is not actually a string manufacturer (they just coat them,goretex) so it’s possible they have gotten bad batches of strings too. Im sure we can all agree, most frustrating thing is breaking a string from a fresh pack..especially when it’s the last one you have of coated lol.

Back
Top Bottom