Elixir strings

Knobs McGee

Inspired
I've been an Elixir Nanoweb user for decades and found them to be very consistent and long-lasting but, the last couple of years, it seems like the quality has dropped off. I've found that I need to reset my intonation quite often after a string change. Also, it seems that it only takes a couple of weeks for the coating on the wound strings to start deteriorating and begin to grow "fur" in the picking area. Have any of you other Elixir users noticed this?

Yes and the ball ends unravel. Same for a few brands. I find the best strings out there are NYXL on others I solder the wrap close to the ball to fix issues .PITA but it works.

Huh, I haven't experienced the ball-end issue (yet). I don't know who makes the strings for Gore but maybe they make them for other brands too, hence the cross-brand ball issue. I assume the accelerated wear issue is due to the coating...dunno

It seems like I tried NYXL (New York-Extra Large?) strings and was meh-struck. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe D'addario has improved them. I'll buy a couple sets and give um' a go.

Thanks for your recommendation, Mr. Eagle.

NYXL’s are all I use and that came after years of disliking D’Addario’s. There’s a spank across all the strings plus the lower notes still retain the bottom end that I haven’t experienced with other strings. They feel pretty similar to the Blue Steels I used for about 20 years.

Every coated string I ever tried ended up growing fur and sounding lifeless after a couple weeks. I did use them on acoustics for a while until I eventually recorded with them and found the high end way over the top. No furburgers for me, I prefer the tile-floor approach; smooth and shiny.

NYXL’s are all I use and that came after years of disliking D’Addario’s. There’s a spank across all the strings plus the lower notes still retain the bottom end that I haven’t experienced with other strings. They feel pretty similar to the Blue Steels I used for about 20 years.

Every coated string I ever tried ended up growing fur and sounding lifeless after a couple weeks. I did use them on acoustics for a while until I eventually recorded with them and found the high end way over the top. No furburgers for me, I prefer the tile-floor approach; smooth and shiny.
Well I definitely like a good spank and bottom end. Another NYXL recommendation, thanks.

Elixir Nanos always sounded like week-old strings to me but the sound didn't change for weeks. Since I'm not on tour with a gtr tech to change them every other night. This seemed like a resonable trade-off. If they can't hold up for a couple of weeks and require readjustment after each change, it's time to try something else. Odd that Mr. P. is having no issues.

i use elixir nanos exclusively for probably 10+ years now. i play near beaches/water and any non-coated string gives me one gig before they rust over, even after trying to wipe the strings down intently after a gig.

with elixir nanos, i leave the strings on for 3 to 6 months. honestly. when i was gigging, it'd be 3 - 5 gigs a week, plus some practice at home. still got all those months out of it. no change in tone. i tend to change them when the coating starts coming off. i've never had strings break, unless i damaged them during install or something.

i've tried many other coated strings, and these just work so well for me. i don't like the omni or poly coatings. too thin and thick respectively.

i use elixir nanos exclusively for probably 10+ years now. i play near beaches/water and any non-coated string gives me one gig before they rust over, even after trying to wipe the strings down intently after a gig.

with elixir nanos, i leave the strings on for 3 to 6 months. honestly. when i was gigging, it'd be 3 - 5 gigs a week, plus some practice at home. still got all those months out of it. no change in tone. i tend to change them when the coating starts coming off. i've never had strings break, unless i damaged them during install or something.

i've tried many other coated strings, and these just work so well for me. i don't like the omni or poly coatings. too thin and thick respectively.
You haven't noticed any changes in consistency or longevity?

I love Elxirs - all I use - but have been stocked up for awhile and since I don't need to change strings that often (esp with no gigs since Feb!) I can't say anything about quality.

I will say i honestly can't stand NYXLs...the only set of strings I have taken off my guitars after a couple days! The feel and the tension were just wrong to me - but don't know what the set was. Shrug.

On acoustics, Elixir for years with no issues.....Never really like elixirs on my Strats though I did give them a try...............On Electrics, NYXL....All the way!

I’ve had recent issues with Elixir Nanowebs too. Intonation has been difficult. On a whim I tried NYXL and my intonation problems were solved. I haven’t noticed any obvious physical issues with the Elixirs, but I’ve certainly have had tuning stability problems.

Interesting, maybe it's a problem with bad batches. I usually by 10, or so, packs at a time.

Now I know that NYXLs are the best...and worst strings made. 😏

Thanks for your input, yal.

I exclusively used elixir Nanowebs for like a decade also. Still do but not exclusively now.

i play 7 string and their selection of heavier gauges was crap, so I ended up having to get a bass single string for the low B. Their bass strings sound the same as guitar strings so there was no issue but the price, a bit painful paying like $12 for a pack of strings and another $12 for the low B. But they lasted forever so it was worth it.

they expanded the range a while back and added more heavy gauge single strings so I ordered a bunch but I had real bad luck with them. Replacing a .065 bass string with a .064 guitar string and I couldn’t get the damn thing to intonate right or stay in tune. It was weird, I got that ‘pulsing’ sound on harmonics, it was like the string was out of tune with itself. Chords sounded out of tune even if the string was dead-nuts in-tune on my tuner. Even adjusting by ear I couldn’t get it right.

but replacing it with another .064 elixir guitar single (with no other adjustments!) and it was fine. I had about a 50% failure rate with the few I ordered. Maybe it was just a bad batch I dunno. I haven’t ordered more since but only because the good ones last for like a year for me.

i have since tried a few other types of strings on my oft played guitars. I didn’t like the NYXL’s, they had a weird sound. Nice midrange but kinda dull, I dunno. Regular D’addarios are nice but kinda rough feeling (I’m too used to the slick elixir feel).

i was surprised by the normal Ernie ball strings, I like those. Cheap, sound great, feel great, hold tuning well. Obviously don’t last as long as elixir.

going forward I’ll probably keep elixirs on my guitars that get less play, and EB on the others.

I really like the tuning stability and longevity of NYXL. BUT, due to their extra midrange, they can be perceived as bright, depending on the guitar, pickups and amp. I like them less with my Suhr V63, which is a vintage correct single coil, than with the ML, which is a beefier and darker single coil. I think I'm going to give the XTs another try when I run out of NYXLs.

The XT sounds more like a normal string, even though it's coated. They are coated before they are wrapped, where as Elixirs are coated after they are wrapped, which is one reason they feel and sound they way they do (slippery and a bit dull).

Nanoweb user here. Years ago it seemed like the non-wrapped strings broke a little easy, but I haven't had a problem with them since.

I like Nanowebs on my acoustics because I don't play them often. They're really stable in the case; stay nice and bright. I'm "meh" on the coating feel under my fingers though. I'm EXL and slowly trying out NYXL on my electrics.

All string manufacturers have had quality slip in the past few years. My decades long live affair with DR strings soured because of so manny QC issues. I’ve since been in a quest and while I’ve settled (for now) on NYXLs, they are not without their problems as well.

All string manufacturers have had quality slip in the past few years. My decades long live affair with DR strings soured because of so manny QC issues. I’ve since been in a quest and while I’ve settled (for now) on NYXLs, they are not without their problems as well.
What problems do you have with them?

EXL110s have been the same, excellent strings for me as they have been for the past (checks calendar) 20 years!

Back
Top Bottom