Eliminate Cab Hiss with noise gate?

I used to be able to accomplish this with my gmajor 2 ,and a boss ns-2. My rig (6505+) was totally silent. Just started setting up my fx 8 and I'm not having much luck. I can get it to be quiet for the most part, but there is still a bit of a hiss. It also seems to really squash my signal. Like at the tail of a note I can really hear the gate engage. Right now I have everything running 4CM in parallel with the noise gate directly after the amp. I have tried to move the gate to the end of the chain but that seemed worse. Can anyone advise me on the best position and set up for this with minimal signal squishing but maximum silence?

I keep a ISP Decimator 2 g-string first out of the send of the amp and I have zero noise no matter how much gain and no sustain cutoff no matter what channel I use. Get a GOOD noise gate, tc electronic's new one has pretty good reviews, or the ISP Decimator 2 g-string. Problem solved forever.

Another vote for the ISP Decimator G String here.

Very important you get the G String version if you decide to buy one. As Brads4 says the TC Electronics Sentry is also good but I've personally never used one.

I have the TC Sentry and it works well. I was looking at the ISP G String, but picked up the Sentry almost as soon as it was available, and I'm quite happy with it.

I used to be able to accomplish this with my gmajor 2 ,and a boss ns-2. My rig (6505+) was totally silent. Just started setting up my fx 8 and I'm not having much luck. I can get it to be quiet for the most part, but there is still a bit of a hiss. It also seems to really squash my signal. Like at the tail of a note I can really hear the gate engage. Right now I have everything running 4CM in parallel with the noise gate directly after the amp. I have tried to move the gate to the end of the chain but that seemed worse. Can anyone advise me on the best position and set up for this with minimal signal squishing but maximum silence?
Have you worked with the global gate on the input? If not, it is always there, and it is enabled by default.

I have the TC Sentry and it works well. I was looking at the ISP G String, but picked up the Sentry almost as soon as it was available, and I'm quite happy with it.
Really glad to hear that. It's a lighter pedal in terms of weight, if it's the same quality as the Decimator 2 G-string, I will get one for my AX8 rig.

Have you worked with the global gate on the input? If not, it is always there, and it is enabled by default.
Yes I am using both gates together, without much luck. I don't run a lot of gain either. 5/12 on the crunch channel. Kinda bummed if I have to get another pedal.

Could you list the signal chain - the 6505+ has a series effects loop to the gate in the fx8 should be fine but you say in the OP that you are connected in parallel? If the fx8 is really in parallel then the gate won't be catching all the noise.
I'm sure I've read comments before about the loop now being 100% parallel and people suffering with a tiny bit of noise when using a gate and a lot of gain - have you tried a noise gate pedal with the amp without the fx8?
(you could confirm the loop is in series using a tuner that's mutes the signal in the loop - press it and any sound coming through shows it has a leak that would cause your noise issues)

Could you list the signal chain - the 6505+ has a series effects loop to the gate in the fx8 should be fine but you say in the OP that you are connected in parallel? If the fx8 is really in parallel then the gate won't be catching all the noise.
I'm sure I've read comments before about the loop now being 100% parallel and people suffering with a tiny bit of noise when using a gate and a lot of gain - have you tried a noise gate pedal with the amp without the fx8?
(you could confirm the loop is in series using a tuner that's mutes the signal in the loop - press it and any sound coming through shows it has a leak that would cause your noise issues)
Hey man nice catch, I meant to say in series. I have run a boss ns-2 in 4cm method with great results. As I stated before, I don't use a lot of gain really. 5.5 on the crunch channel

Try this gate setting. I use this in the loop with a couple amps and works great to quiet any hiss and buzz. I also use the pre gate. I use this particular preset with my Friedman.

Attachments

• PT Rock.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 11
I ordered two TRS cables and was going to run them out of the FX8 and into a ebtech hum eliminator, then out with regular cables. Without changing one end to TS. It says on the Ebtech that its "TRS smart jacks convert automatically back and forth between balanced TRS and unbalanced TS lines". This should work?? was going to go this route so I can use 10 foot cables between the FX8 and the ebtech and then 10 foot cables or shorter to the amp and not have to change tips on the TRS cable.

You might be better off with hum buster cables. I've known the ebtech units to suck tone especially top end.

However humbusters and ebtech hum eliminators may not filter out the noise you are getting.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom