Electrovoice ZXA1 First Impression

North

Inspired
I used my new EV ZXA1s in a band rehearsal last night and I was incredibly pleased, and to some extent surprised, with the sounds. Clean sounds were incredibly punchy, sparkling and organic, crunch sounds were twangy (low gain) and ballsy and the lead sounds were smooth, powerful and surprisingly loud. In particular the clean sounds were fantastic, notes and funky riffs just jumped out - very inspiring.

The guitar was my Fender strat with Bassman, Dr Z and Marsha sims and stock IRs. With a bit of tweaking I think I´ll be able to get a nice thump and ballsy lead sound at friendly or louder sound levels. My lead preset was a bit overpowered in the bottom end, so I need to work on that. I was a bit afraid that the EVs would not be very ballsy or loud, but that fear has been thoroughly replaced by amazement of the volume and low end these small speakers delivered. For sure they will have a ceiling, but it appears from this first outing that that ceiling is high enough with a margin. Also tried some of the "ambience" presets and drew more impressed looks from the other people in the band.

I should maybe mention that I have not tried many FRFR monitors, except the FBT Verve that I did not like, but these EVs just impressed and pleased me thoroughly.

And the Axe itself, again, reminded me it is the best musical investment I have ever made.

North said:
I should maybe mention that I have not tried many FRFR monitors, except the FBT Verve that I did not like, but these EVs just impressed and pleased me thoroughly.
Thanks for that quick review.

EV speakers are amazing. I could not get my SxA360 to work for me because (a) it didn't cut through the mix, and (b) it had really poor dispersion. But the sound was punchy and clear like nothing else I have heard.

In comparison, I find that my new setup (Verve 12mA's) sounds honky and nasal. But they cut through the mix with ease, and have amazing dispersion. Can't have it all, I guess...

Out of curiosity, two quick questions:
1-) How is the dispersion on the ZXA1? Are these coax speakers?
2-) What did you not like about the Verve?

They come in 90* or 100* versions, and they have a separate woofer and horn.

I had one too for a while and loved it, though I ended up going back to using guitar cabs live (though by no means due to any lack of quality with the little EV, just personal preference, as well as that of some other band members who are just too used to hearing guitar cabs off-axis etc).

Those little EV's rock IMO.

2-) What did you not like about the Verve?[/quote]

1. Don´t know relative to dispersion as I was standing right in front of them all the time. I´m not kinda expecting it is not too great, but will learn.
2. The Verve, to me, had a slightly brittle, harsh and cold top end that I did not like. I could dial it out, but that would sort of defeat part of the purpose of aligning FOH and my own sound with as few changes/differences as possible.

Back
Top Bottom