Electrovoice Live X Powered speakers

rhequiem

Inspired
I had a friend telling me he heard about some new Electovoice powered speakers at NAMM 2011 that he was thinking about getting for his PA. I was curious, so I started looking for info on them to see if they would work for the Axe. From the info I saw on their site, they seem like they would fit the bill - they have a wood enclosure, have 1000w versions with 12" and 15" speakers, and start at $599. Have you guys heard anything about these yet, or get to try one at NAMM? Here's the link to their info site http://www.electrovoice.com/livex/powered.php?lang=eng

Really? No one's curious about these at all? I figured with the wood cabinet and reasonable price point, this would be a point of interest for the FRFR crowd. Maybe not a FBT Verve 12mA killer, but it seems promising. I think I might exchange my QSC K12 for one when they are released later this month and see how it stacks up.

I'm always interested... It looks like a good speaker but we al know looks aren't everything. Lets us know how it stacks up against the QSC.

The only thing that is odd is that they don't give the specifics on the type of wood.

"rugged wood cabinets" doesn't scream out that they used quality wood.

Interested to hear if you get your ears on them...

Just checked the site out and found this under "specifictions"

Case Material 9-ply, 15mm Plywood, Internally Braced, with Texured Paint

Would using plywood instead of Baltic Birch that's been embraced by latin virgins make much of a difference? hehe

Just checked the site out and found this under "specifictions"

Case Material 9-ply, 15mm Plywood, Internally Braced, with Texured Paint

Would using plywood instead of Baltic Birch that's been embraced by latin virgins make much of a difference? hehe

Using Baltic Birch preferably "void less" is the best but I have had good results when building with standard plywood. The amount of internal bracing is key and will matter quite a bit in order to keep the cab from turning into a vibrating monster.

I was under the impression that Class "D" amps were not the recommended amp type for use with the Axe Fx, which is what most of these types of powered cabs seem to use. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I remembered reading that Class "A/B" was the recommended amp type.

I think you're right that Cliff isn't keen on Class D due to harshness in the treble, but it seems that Class D amps are very popular among modeler users. I'm curious how the new EV speaker stacks up against the K10.

Well, I think I am going to take the plunge, as I bought a brand new K12 from GC about a month ago, and I still have the option of exchanging it. I will try out the new EV 12" and let everyone know how it stacks up.

I was under the impression that Class "D" amps were not the recommended amp type for use with the Axe Fx, which is what most of these types of powered cabs seem to use. Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought I remembered reading that Class "A/B" was the recommended amp type.

Correct

Well, I think I am going to take the plunge, as I bought a brand new K12 from GC about a month ago, and I still have the option of exchanging it. I will try out the new EV 12" and let everyone know how it stacks up.

Definitely want to know your review of the K12 vs. the EV12. Very interested!

Wow... I like the looks/specs of these! Wish they would have come out before I bought my Yamahas! I may try them anyway. LOVE the Yamahas but there's always something better out there! Will report the results!

Definitely want to know your review of the K12 vs. the EV12. Very interested!

FWIW the K12 is at the top of my list of biggest disappointments ever :( I'm sure these EV's will win in every way.

Sorry to hear about the disappointment FrostByte. I am currently playing through 2 K12's and don't think I could be anymore satisfied. Ultra and K12's cured my amp gas for a while. Just my opinion. Your results may vary, obviously.

Ed

FWIW the K12 is at the top of my list of biggest disappointments ever :( I'm sure these EV's will win in every way.

Why did you were so disappointed? And, maybe a stupid question, but important for me, what kind of music do you play and what amps do you normally use?

Back
Top Bottom