Electromagnetic Interference - Help!!

Yesterday I shout all the power off in the house except for the circuit that controls my studio. The EFI remained unchanged.

I am not 100% certain of what else may be on that circuit so I'll have to test that out to see if there is something that could be contributing. I know the refrigerator and other appliances are not on that circuit.

If I bisect my room using North South East West terms, the noise is greatly diminished (or gone) if I orient my guitar E to W in most spots. If I orient the guitar this way and lay the guitar flat so the pickups are facing up, no noise. If I orient my guitar E-W but then rotate it like a clock 90 degrees, noise.

Very odd huh?

I'll keep trying to narrow it down using my guitar.

Maybe you have a big step-down transformer on a power line pole outside, or mounted on a pad nearby. Maybe some high tension lines not too far away?

Yesterday I shout all the power off in the house except for the circuit that controls my studio. The EFI remained unchanged.
Now try the opposite. Turn off the circuit that controls your studio, and bring in an extension cord to power the Axe. Fire up the Axe, and see what hpens to the noise. Don't forget to turn off the lights when you test.

Maybe you have a big step-down transformer on a power line pole outside, or mounted on a pad nearby. Maybe some high tension lines not too far away?

No power poles in the area. All under ground. I don't know of any "pad's" near my house. I'll check to see where the closest ones are.

Now try the opposite. Turn off the circuit that controls your studio, and bring in an extension cord to power the Axe. Fire up the Axe, and see what hpens to the noise. Don't forget to turn off the lights when you test.

I wish I had thought of that when I was doing this. I'll do this ASAP. Good idea.

Pad mounted distribution transformers are often what are used when you have underground wiring. The "pad" is just a concrete base they mount the things on to protect them from the surrounding dirt/mud/water/etc. They just look like big boxes, and are usually green. Sometimes they plant bushes around them to hide them. There's some info here.

Attachments

• padmount-transformer.jpg
    padmount-transformer.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 47
Found the nearest "pad" 2 houses down.

Capture2_zps119b5a61.jpg

I would think that's far enough away that it shouldn't have a great deal of influence. But, depending on how the lines are run to your house, you may have the mains running right by your studio. Might be worth a call to "Miss Dig" - they'll plot your cable/gas/water/electric lines underground so you don't hit them digging to do something else, like putting in a fence/shed/outbuilding/pool/etc. It's something the utiilities pay for, so no cost to you. Keeps them from having to do emergency repairs.

Nice-looking neighborhood, btw.

I would think that's far enough away that it shouldn't have a great deal of influence. But, depending on how the lines are run to your house, you may have the mains running right by your studio.

Well.... my electric panel to my house is in my studio. Is that what you mean?

Might be worth a call to "Miss Dig" - they'll plot your cable/gas/water/electric lines underground so you don't hit them digging to do something else, like putting in a fence/shed/outbuilding/pool/etc. It's something the utiilities pay for, so no cost to you. Keeps them from having to do emergency repairs.

Yeah, I've had miss dig out several times. Wish they could detect spinkler lines! I destroyed a couple when I had my privacy fence installed (not shown in the pic).

I'm sure the line runs right up to my meter (right side of red circle) and then runs to my panel, which is located in my studio.

Nice-looking neighborhood, btw.

Thanks!

I'm following this thread with great interest since I have the same problem.

I'm going to shutdown my home power *completely* and use my guitar into my iPad as the EMI detector.
My situation is complicated by being a condo - so there is the possibility the EMI is coming from a neighbor.
It is *bad* - as with the OP it makes recording a hassle.

So my friend had a similar issue with his PA system that we jammed with in the basement. This was strange:

- His lights dimmed every 15-30 minutes randomly. When it occurred the 'humming' in sound became worse
- His amps (Blues Jr, Marshall JCM800, Vox AC15) all buzzed aside from the warm tube sound

It ended up being a bad Neutral being fed into his house from the power distribution in his housing development. Since you are in a development (question: how old/new is it | how long have you lived there?) a good question to ask is who and how the power was distributed to your house.

Also, I did not read ALL of this thread, but have you tried moving the AFX and Studio Monitors to another room of the house/circuit or tried it in another home completely? Just curious, I am sure you are extremely frustrated with the buzzing... It's annoying, I experience it sometimes at my house until I invested in a high performing Furman conditioner.

.... Since you are in a development (question: how old/new is it | how long have you lived there?)

House was built in 2004. We bought it in 2010.

.... a good question to ask is who and how the power was distributed to your house.

Not sure how to answer this question.

.... Also, I did not read ALL of this thread, but have you tried moving the AFX and Studio Monitors to another room of the house/circuit or tried it in another home completely?

I have moved to another room (upstairs) and had the same interference. Need to take it out and test. Not gigging right now.

.... Just curious, I am sure you are extremely frustrated with the buzzing... It's annoying, I experience it sometimes at my house until I invested in a high performing Furman conditioner.

If I knew for certain some type of conditioner would solve the probelem I would buy one right now.

House was built in 2004. We bought it in 2010.

Ok, so the reason I ask is my friend's house is newer as well built in 2007. He had to contact the association's development company to figure out who installed the electrical system for them to correct it. It's worth a try to see who was responsible for the installation and if there is a faulty neutral feeding in to your house.

Need to take it out and test. Not gigging right now.

Whenever you can man, I understand being busy. Best way to isolate the issue is take the entire house out of the mix if it happens in every room. Thanks man, just trying to help.

Ok, so the reason I ask is my friend's house is newer as well built in 2007. He had to contact the association's development company to figure out who installed the electrical system for them to correct it. It's worth a try to see who was responsible for the installation and if there is a faulty neutral feeding in to your house.

Whenever you can man, I understand being busy. Best way to isolate the issue is take the entire house out of the mix if it happens in every room. Thanks man, just trying to help.

I appreciate all the help I can get! :D
I'll keep this in mind if it comes down to a wiring issue. Thanks for the advice!

You previous testing showed that the noise is coming in through your guitar, not the power cord, so a conditioner won't help.

Yeah, I figured it wouldn't be that easy. :|

You may end up just having to get used to using a noise gate, or experiment with noiseless pickups until you find a set you like. The whole country is pretty much humming at 60hz at varying intensities; it's tough to eliminate 100% without some proactive cancellation/filtering.

I live in Chicago and have dealt with this in my home studio for a few years now to varying degrees, depending on my apartment. ComEd is not the world's best electrical company, and being that most people live on the 2nd or 3rd floor here (which is at the same plane as pole transformers), it's pretty easy to get blasted with EMI and RF.

My first apartment here had a drop that came in right in the room where my equipment was hooked up. It was quite possibly the worst EMI I've ever heard; even BKP humbuckers sounded like unshielded singles. I never found a solution (nor were many available, being that I was renting), but I did find out some tricks for tracking down the source of the EMI.

If you have a new enough Android phone, you can download a few different free apps that will track EMI and tell you what the gauss level is, which is helpful in finding out the source. Here are some examples I found using this method:

1) The aforementioned cable drop with some crazy device joining all the mains that came into my building, which I am 100% sure was the source of the EMI at my last apartment.
2) Tracked down a faulty ground at my new apartment. I have steam heating in this building, and given it's older than dirt, at some point during its lifetime, a hot wire actually came in contact with the plumbing, turning most of my radiators into 120V death-traps. I know. I managed to ground myself out through my guitar on one :) The moral of the story is that having the 120V going through the the radiators was causing TONS of EMI (though still less than that last apartment).

The bitch of it is that tracking down bad wiring in your home can be a pain and very expensive. Luckily you're in a newer construction, so one can only hope that someone semi-competent did your electrical. Still, like most trades, there are few truly skilled engineers. Most of the guys you deal with are just in it to make a living, and if they're running their own company, they make that living by doing your wiring in the fastest, cheapest way possible that won't kill you or your family.

For reference, the app I use on my Android phone is for "ghost hunting". But don't let that fool you, as it can turn your phone into a fairly decent EM sensor. When I had my grounding issue in the current apartment, the meter would go crazy any time I held the phone toward my radiator. In fact, my el-cheapo $10 AC-detecting stud finder would go nuts on the radiators. It was so bad in one room (which, ironically, was my home studio!) that I would see my WiFi signal cut in half when coming into this room, and I could even hold that same stud finder up in the middle of the room and have the AC alarm go off.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful for you. One other thing to note that you can try is Zexcoil singles and humbuckers. I bought a set back in the old apartment, and they are the ONLY pickups that truly shielded out all the garbage I was hearing. I ended up swapping them back out for the original Suhr V60LPs in my guitar since I liked the tone better, but they might work wonders for you.

The magic word you used in your original post was dimmer switch… Get rid of all the dimmer switches in your house. I had the same issues, and doing that cured my noise problems.

Back
Top Bottom