Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Just wondering: the other day I inadvertantly started iTunes music while playing through my EV PMP-12MP and it was sudden and VERY loud. Since then it seems fine but my paranoid ear seems to sense a bit of distortion or breakup at the end of a low string note. I am likely being paranoid but it sounds like the issue mentioned above, sort of at the end of a note or chord a bit of breakup. Do you think I damaged the speaker? Thanks!

Answering backwards…

Do you think I damaged the speaker?
I doubt it. It's designed to act as a small FOH cabinet or a monitor on professional stages. I had my pair running at well over 100 dB for hours, and they were so loud I wouldn't stand near them, and they sound amazing still.

it sounds like the issue mentioned above, sort of at the end of a note or chord a bit of breakup.
Contact EV's tech support. They reply quickly. The initial problem that you might be referring to was fixed very quickly, a couple years ago. So, if your speaker is several years old, or, somehow, it was stuck in a warehouse until you bought it, odds are really good you don't have the dreaded problem. But, talk to EV, because they fix them very fast if that's the problem.

Hello to everybody, just a quick advise:

at the moment I'm using a pair of Presonus R65 with which I get along very well.
Since I was going to have a solution to put in another room (100 sq meters), I was thinking instead of getting another pair of monitors to get 1 or 2 pxm-12mp.
I have to say that I don't play live, only at home and I hate the volume too high. I'm intrigued by the fact to have a bigger sound all around me :)
I know it's hard to give a definitive answer, but would I be disappointed?
Is the quality similar to good monitors or is it just a fit to have more volume?

Last edited:
I have to say that I don't play live, only at home and I hate the volume too high. I'm intrigued by the fact to have a bigger sound all around me :)
Is the quality similar to good monitors or is it just a fit to have more volume?

Their sound quality is plenty good but I think the PXM are overkill for home use, to the point that you might end up fighting the things that make them work really well in a live setting. They’re going to be loud and probably sound bassy in that size room if there’s not something to suck up the lows.

Maybe look into the ELIS.8 monitors. They sounded great in my room.

Hello to everybody, just a quick advise:

at the moment I'm using a pair of Presonus R65 with which I get along very well.
Since I was going to have a solution to put in another room (100 sq meters), I was thinking instead of getting another pair of monitors to get 1 or 2 pxm-12mp.
I have my pair in a 10'x12' room on the floor and they can sound bass heavy when setting up for a gig volume. If I pull the volume down to play at a reasonable SPL 80 db or so I have to change EQ settings to compensate. It's definitely a bigger sound but if your not gigging out as Greg mentioned it would be overkill for sure!

The idea of adding another set of monitors to what you already have would be a cool idea, ala quadraphonic! not to mention they would fit the room much better. It's probably what I will do once I stop gigging.

The Elis8 are not really FRFR...
FRFR is a marketing term, it doesn’t define or specify anything, it only implies it.

Watch Marco Fanton’s video demonstrating them where he was actually running the backing track into his modeler, along with his guitar, then recording the sound coming from the cabs. Listening to the video with headphones sounded just like my pair did in the room. They’d be my first choice if I was looking for an alternative to regular desk monitors at home.

FRFR is a marketing term, it doesn’t define or specify anything, it only implies it.

Watch Marco Fanton’s video demonstrating them where he was actually running the backing track into his modeler, along with his guitar, then recording the sound coming from the cabs. Listening to the video with headphones sounded just like my pair did in the room. They’d be my first choice if I was looking for an alternative to regular desk monitors at home.
I believe you, but I don't believe in youtube videos with post-production and created specifically to sell products.
Anyway the Elis8 aren't too dark at low volumes? I'd rather lower the treble and bass than be forced to correct a speaker lacking in frequencies.
I wish something similar to monitors, but at a slightly fuller volume that fills the room.
But the sound has to be faithful, that's why I had bet on the EVs. Furtehrmore the EVs actually have integrated DSP.
But if you tell me they are unmanageable at low volumes, I must look elsewhere.

I believe you, but I don't believe in youtube videos with post-production and created specifically to sell products.
Anyway the Elis8 aren't too dark at low volumes? I'd rather lower the treble and bass than be forced to correct a speaker lacking in frequencies.
I wish something similar to monitors, but at a slightly fuller volume that fills the room.
But the sound has to be faithful, that's why I had bet on the EVs. Furtehrmore the EVs actually have integrated DSP.
Fletcher-Munson affects ALL speakers. No speakers I'm aware of intentionally change their frequency response depending on volume.

I‘d suggest that you not take anyone’s word for it and try the EV for yourself. I have one and I quite like it and I only use it at home too. YMMV.

Fletcher-Munson affects ALL speakers. No speakers I'm aware of intentionally change their frequency response depending on volume.
Just to be clear when said I have to change EQ settings to compensate for volume changes, when i'm gigging out I'm usually in a room that is much larger than the one at home. I'm in no way implying that the speakers are changing their response with respect to their volume. I have put an GEQ in those presets so I can adjust for the differences.

@Araman the EV's are a really good speaker! They tick a lot of boxes for someone that wants a gigging solution that is somewhat lightweight monitor with a relatively small footprint that has good sound reproduction and great support!

I miss read the size of space you are moving into. A 100 SqM (1000+) Sqf is a fairly large space to fill with sound! Are you using the whole space to listen in or just part? Something else to consider, have you thought of adding a sub to your R65's? extending the low end my be the thing that helps you carry the extra room without having to increase SPL.

I wonder what would prevent this - it sounds like theoretically it would be possible to have an EQ curve that inverts the changes of the FM curve based on volume? Or possibly if one could create an EQ curve in the Axe unit that seems to compensate for the FM curve at max volume, then set the mix of that EQ depending on where between min/max they had the volume? I mean in reality, I'm only playing at two volumes - home recording, and flame-on, so probably more trouble than it's worth to try and achieve this...
I guess the effect of the room may also start increasing as volume goes up. Psycho-acoustics - a temperamental mistress! :p

definitely a problem for someone far smarter than me to solve.

I wonder what would prevent this - it sounds like theoretically it would be possible to have an EQ curve that inverts the changes of the FM curve based on volume? Or possibly if one could create an EQ curve in the Axe unit that seems to compensate for the FM curve at max volume, then set the mix of that EQ depending on where between min/max they had the volume? I mean in reality, I'm only playing at two volumes - home recording, and flame-on, so probably more trouble than it's worth to try and achieve this...
I guess the effect of the room may also start increasing as volume goes up. Psycho-acoustics - a temperamental mistress! :p

The Boss Tube Amp Expander has a fletcher munsen compensation option. I suspect it’s an EQ curve that varies from a smile to flat as the output knob gets turned.

I wonder what would prevent this - it sounds like theoretically it would be possible to have an EQ curve that inverts the changes of the FM curve based on volume? Or possibly if one could create an EQ curve in the Axe unit that seems to compensate for the FM curve at max volume, then set the mix of that EQ depending on where between min/max they had the volume?
People are affected by it differently so there’d need to be a way of establishing what the curve is for each individual at the low volume, then let the unit make the adjustments until about 90 dB… but 90 dB is a different output level depending on the room and how far away we are from the speaker, so we’d have to set that too.

At least the people who study that stuff know at what rate the curve would need to change at the different volumes.

I guess the effect of the room may also start increasing as volume goes up.
Yes.

Psycho-acoustics - a temperamental mistress! :p
And physics.

I’m not sure it’s worth the time to implement a solution.

It’s easy for us to set a home or studio volume level and the desired EQ in an GEQ or PEQ block and save it as a scene, then create the flame-on version and save it as a scene. If different versions of the preset are required, then we can create them very quickly too. Saving the GEQ or PEQ blocks to the library for reuse is easy. The EQ block’s channel can do the work. We can make the solution as easy or complex as we want, but the more complex it is the longer it’d take to be implemented in the modeler’s code. Easy can be something we do.

Can't speak for the Elis8 but the MF10 is inherently a darker speaker imo. It's better at volume, but it's still darker, and has a more narrow dispersion cone, than i would really like.

The EV speaker is much brighter in comparison, too bright maybe. The difference is the EV has onboard DSP options to help dial it just right. Also much better dispersion on the EV.

The MF10 sounds really good, especially in the low mids, but for the price it really would be nice to have some basic onboard EQ.

Last edited:
Just to be clear when said I have to change EQ settings to compensate for volume changes, when i'm gigging out I'm usually in a room that is much larger than the one at home. I'm in no way implying that the speakers are changing their response with respect to their volume. I have put an GEQ in those presets so I can adjust for the differences.

@Araman the EV's are a really good speaker! They tick a lot of boxes for someone that wants a gigging solution that is somewhat lightweight monitor with a relatively small footprint that has good sound reproduction and great support!

I miss read the size of space you are moving into. A 100 SqM (1000+) Sqf is a fairly large space to fill with sound! Are you using the whole space to listen in or just part? Something else to consider, have you thought of adding a sub to your R65's? extending the low end my be the thing that helps you carry the extra room without having to increase SPL.

The plan was to move the monitor speakers to a smaller room, and use the EV flexibly in this room (which is a hobby room). I could put the EV at a distance of a few meters from me up to a maximum of 7/8 meters. In stereo I would be in the middle of the distance of 7/8 meters between them. Although the room is completely open, there is still a sofa in the middle and other furniture on the sides (table, sideboard, etc). It's not my intention to play at a too significant distance or have stadium volumes (maybe around 85db but no more).

This was called "Loudness" on integrated hifi amplifiers in ages past. Push the knob and it compensates for low volume listening. Just a filter.

Back
Top Bottom