Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

FWIW, I just received a second PXM-12MP monitor from Thomann (Germany), which was on backorder, so I assume it was from a new delivery.

Contrary to my first monitor I got one year ago, the new one doesn't have the problem with the distorted sound. So I hope it's a problem of the past and anyone interested in buying one doesn't have to worry about it.

Getting my first one fixed was quick and without hassle though and I like it very much since then. I'm glad I tried it despite the possible problem.

I just bought a pair of these. Haven't had them long enough to test them under all conditions but I don't see any evidence of this issue so far.

I just bought a pair of these. Haven't had them long enough to test them under all conditions but I don't see any evidence of this issue so far.
Just put a very clean and single note into it (clean guitar, or higher note from bass guitar, or a sine wave) and listen to the decay. You don't need volume or a strong input signal. The distortion on the decaying note was not related to overdriving the input or turning up the output of the monitor.

FWIW, I just received a second PXM-12MP monitor from Thomann (Germany), which was on backorder, so I assume it was from a new delivery.

Contrary to my first monitor I got one year ago, the new one doesn't have the problem with the distorted sound. So I hope it's a problem of the past and anyone interested in buying one doesn't have to worry about it.

Getting my first one fixed was quick and without hassle though and I like it very much since then. I'm glad I tried it despite the possible problem.
I’ve had my pair for about a year with no signs of any problems.

Just put a very clean and single note into it (clean guitar, or higher note from bass guitar, or a sine wave) and listen to the decay. You don't need volume or a strong input signal. The distortion on the decaying note was not related to overdriving the input or turning up the output of the monitor.
I've tested them per your suggestion using a very clean preset, no effects. I'm not hearing anything but natural gradual decay of the notes. No discernible distortion or artifacts.

There is one issue, which I've let Electro-Voice know about. At the tail end of a note or chord, there's a bit of what sounds like IM distortion or something. The effect is there even at low volumes where it is more obvious because the signal to noise ratio is lower. At full volume and in a band situation, it would likely be hard to detect, but it's there. In contrast, my Yamaha DXR10s, IG4T's, monitors and other speakers definitely do not have this effect, so there is something happening inside these speakers. Electro-Voice is supposedly exploring whether they can recreate it. I had thought it might be a defect in one speaker when I first chanced it, but I ordered a second one anyway. The second speaker exhibits the same issue, so it must be either a design flaw or an issue with the DSP. The effect is there no matter which DSP mode is used.

Anyway, overall I am pretty pleased with these speakers. When (!) we get to go out and gig again, I feel like I have a really good backline for the first time, a better floor monitor for guitar than my Yamahas, and hopefully EV/Dynacord will come up with a fix for the noise I can hear as notes fade....the one real wart that I've found so far.
Thanks for the review and the comment about the noise. I have the EV ZLX-12BT and I'm hearing EXACTLY what you're describing, and it's driving me nuts. I was actually wondering if it was causing the noise that I'm hearing. I've been looking around for something else to swap in and verify but I'm figuring it's the EV now.

No, they have not. I suspect it's a noise gate issue, and that they are now regretting not having a USB port installed to allow for firmware updates.
Funny, I'm hearing a weird effect when holding my left hand on the strings in between playing that I thought was caused by the noise gate in the AFIII. I should contact EV guess.

I should contact EV guess.
When people first noticed the noise issue with the EV PXM-12MP cabs I contacted the company and asked about the issue and how to diagnose it and how to get it repaired, and they said they cover the problem and had fixed it in their production. That doesn’t clear the problem from dealer’s warehouses though, so it’s possible some affected ones are still lurking about in dark corners.

Contact their support and they should be able to get it fixed quickly.

When people first noticed the noise issue with the EV PXM-12MP cabs I contacted the company and asked about the issue and how to diagnose it and how to get it repaired, and they said they cover the problem and had fixed it in their production. That doesn’t clear the problem from dealer’s warehouses though, so it’s possible some affected ones are still lurking about in dark corners.

This is a new speaker, and a different model, that I bought in January, but yeah, hopefully it was built a while ago. I guess there's no guarantee that they knew that it was in this model either. I really think that's what's causing the noise I mentioned in the other thread that you commented on. I really hope this is it.

This is a new speaker, and a different model, that I bought in January, but yeah, hopefully it was built a while ago. I guess there's no guarantee that they knew that it was in this model either. I really think that's what's causing the noise I mentioned in the other thread that you commented on. I really hope this is it.
Odds are good the basic power-amp and DSP circuitry is the same.

I received an RMA from the US email address listed earlier in this thread, very impressed. I want to send my speaker back but I'm not 100% sure if the problem is 100% caused by the speaker. It could be that I'm just a crappy preset programmer. I just don't want any trouble with EV asking me to pay for shipping if they don't find anything. I gave them my serial number so I'm guessing that they wouldn't ask for it back if there wasn't something that needed to be done. Do you, or does anybody, know what the issue is/was, software/hardware?

Do you, or does anybody, know what the issue is/was, software/hardware?
Shouldn’t matter, really, if they fix it. Your best bet is to create as clean a preset as you can, or even plug your electric guitar straight into the speaker. Play a note, let it decay. If you hear a distortion that sounds like an IM “shadow” under the note as it trails off, that was my experience. A clean tone should only get cleaner as the note tapers, not reveal an underlying distortion. It was quite subtle for me, and as I said early on, I could undoubtedly have gigged with it no problem. It just bugged me.

Anyone ever compare the EV's with the QSCK12.2? The specs are similar but not the same, QSC seems to have a bit more frequency width and power. But not sure if that matter. I am struggling with deciding on an FRFR speaker to replace my OLD Alesis Studio Monitors. I don't mind spending the money but my problem is I don't know what either product sound like as nothing is ever available locally anymore. Without hearing them I can't tell (1) how much of an improvement they would be over my current speakers (I assume a noticeable amount, but ...), and (2) whether I could tell the difference between the EV's and QSC's. The EV's are $100 less expensive.

Different animals. Maybe you like them, maybe you don’t. Up close, a coax speaker has some real advantages. Even from a distance. YMMV.
Hmm, uninformed as I am I don't know the difference between a coax speaker and a non-coax speaker. Not really a measurable thing but I am just looking to get "better' quality sound than my current setup.

Hmm, uninformed as I am I don't know the difference between a coax speaker and a non-coax speaker. Not really a measurable thing but I am just looking to get "better' quality sound than my current setup.
Hard to give you a lot of input without knowing your use case. If using in studio or home studio, better studio monitors will likely be a better overall investment. But no studio monitor will work well at a gig with a drummer.
I.e, I have no idea what is going to be better for you and your circumstances. Did you use the search here for that QSC to see if others have it and like it for what they’re doing?

Hard to give you a lot of input without knowing your use case. If using in studio or home studio, better studio monitors will likely be a better overall investment. But no studio monitor will work well at a gig with a drummer.
I.e, I have no idea what is going to be better for you and your circumstances. Did you use the search here for that QSC to see if others have it and like it for what they’re doing?
QSC was recommended by someone from another guitar forum. My use case at present is home playing only in a relatively small room. So I presently am not gigging with a drummer, or anyone else for the moment. Might in the future though, and used to in the past.

A typical monitor is not coaxial. The tweeter and woofer are placed in separate places in the cabinet and in some cases the separation of highs can stand out.

For use with guitar, it seems as though the general concensus is that a coaxial design works better.

In a coaxial setup, the tweeter is typically attached behind the woofer and the highs are sent "thru" the speaker cone of the woofer.

This provides a more "integrated" sound.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_loudspeaker

I don't have any hands-on experience with the K12.2 speakers but I seem to recall reading that they aren't all that flat in response.

Back
Top Bottom