Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

Hm....what does static decay sound like..? Bosch told me, two months ago, that the issue has been fixed in the current production line. I sent mine back to Thomann a month ago, but it seems I'll have to wait 4-5 more weeks for a new one. Not sure what's up...
I'm not sure how to upload video to this forum but even if I did the camera quality on the iPhone makes it difficult to hear. It's very apparent if you test the speaker with a bass. Buzz, static, distortion, I suppose they could all mean the same thing depending on who's listening. If you run a bass through the speaker, sit next to it, and give it a little volume you'll hear it right away if something is wrong.

Unfortunately, this speaker didn't pan out for me. EV has been back ordered on parts and the turn around time to get my unit back was about 6 weeks. When I received the repaired unit back from EV they said they confirmed the distortion issue and replaced the woofer. Upon testing the new unit seems to have a slightly different issue. As opposed to a straight up distortion on the low frequencies there's now a static decay on the end of my notes. EV offered to repair the unit again but I'm not willing to wait any longer at this point for a speaker that may or may not ever be right. With the supply shortages Sweetwater doesn't have any more in stock to swap this one out so it's unfortunately been returned. It really did seem like a great design at a solid price point but it's more trouble to me than it's worth at this point. I suppose I'll look into Xitone or potentially even building my own with the F12-X200.

ya to bad....mine work and sound great.

I recently got both of my units back from Thomann. It took 27 days, and during that time they went back to Bosch for the actual repair.

I got documentation with them that state that the PCBA amplifier has been replaced on both units. Both work fine now, and the firmware is the same as before, so it's a part issue. One of the documents was in German, and mentions a couple of abbreviations. Perhaps product range names, or part names? Attached below.

EDIT: Found the part (or something really similar). So yeah. they basically swap all the electronics that aren't related to the software or UI.

https://www.artsound.gr/product/ele...ifier-power-pcb-board-p-n-f-01u-317-470-part/

Attachments

• _20210908_134332.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 36
Last edited:
I recently got both of my units back from Thomann. It took 27 days, and during that time they went back to Bosch for the actual repair.

I got documentation with them that state that the PCBA amplifier has been replaced on both units. Both work fine now, and the firmware is the same as before, so it's a part issue. One of the documents was in German, and mentions a couple of abbreviations. Perhaps product range names, or part names? Attached below.
So they sound ok now? I hope so!

Mine listed replacement parts, too, but I don't know where that documentation is. But it sure fixed the issue for me with both my speakers. Great speakers made even better.

I have a pair of these, have had them out three (?) times for several hours at a time, and have really liked their sound.

They have storable EQ settings if you want to adjust their response. I use the second monitor curve which appears to be the most flat setting.

I added additional feet to the cabinets so I could rest them on their bottom/side without tearing them up when loading and unloading the car.

Last edited:
I'm considering a pair of these, but I wouldn't want to mess around with returns or factory repairs. Is there any outward indication of whether they are the corrected version?

I'm considering a pair of these, but I wouldn't want to mess around with returns or factory repairs. Is there any outward indication of whether they are the corrected version?
It doesn't appear that there is any thing on the units that indicate a fix or that they have been corrected. I didn't see anything either and the problems seem to be mostly in the E.U. At least thats what it seem like here in the board.

@Greg Ferguson posted...

I talked with one of the support people.

The units with the problem were early production and were corrected. People who get one with the problem can get them fixed free. And the problem is supposed to be be pretty obvious.

I couldn’t get him to specify a serial number range and there’s nothing specifying the production date on the units that I could see.

My humble opinion: they're worth the risk. I bet many people wouldn't even notice the level of IM distortion I was hearing from both of mine, and Bosch pretty quickly fixed them. They sound really, really good. And they are very flexible. Don't let this minor quibble that can be fixed stand in the way of you getting a great FRFR.

I agree they sound great. I had the issue with a pair, got them back one was fixed the other still had the issue and sent it back to them.
They supplied be with a shipping label so my only cost for service has been time.
They are waiting for parts which they expect Oct 10.

Hi, anymore reports on this? I am thinking of giving one of these a shot. However, I usually set my FRFR on a table and I'm wondering how I would position this particular speaker. Does it sound as good on it's side (I guess the controls on top? Curious to hear your thoughts, I would not pole mount.
I have a pair of them, and bought a pair of right-angle XLR adapters and IEC adapters, which let me route the cables sideways, making it possible to stack them on end, one on top of the other, so they’re firing 90°. They take up a lot less stage space, and stereo imaging still works though it’s vertical instead of horizontal. And with their wide dispersion they’re easy to hear.

I agree they sound great. I had the issue with a pair, got them back one was fixed the other still had the issue and sent it back to them.
They supplied be with a shipping label so my only cost for service has been time.
They are waiting for parts which they expect Oct 10.
I haven’t noticed any problems with my pair, either at home or in a live setting. I talked to EV support about the problem, and they said it would be pretty noticeable if either speaker had it, so they must have fixed it in production.

I haven’t noticed any problems with my pair, either at home or in a live setting. I talked to EV support about the problem, and they said it would be pretty noticeable if either speaker had it, so they must have fixed it in production.
Hey Greg, do you like these or the Red Sound better? Thanks.

Hey Greg, do you like these or the Red Sound better? Thanks.
I like them about the same but for different reasons. They both sound equally good but:
  • The ELIS.8 are a bit smaller because of the 8” speakers. That’s nice for portability.
  • The EV can move more air and get louder because of the 12” speaker. I suspect they also have more power but it’s hard to say because power output specs are not standardized. They’re still a reasonable size so carrying each using one hand is doable.
  • The ELIS.8 are limited in their available angles and I needed more flexibility that way and that’s what forced the change for me. On small stages I couldn’t tip them back far enough so I could hear them. Basically they were firing at my knees.

My one remaining gripe with these speakers is part of the compromise EV had to make to create such a light cabinet. There is definitely a reason that many cabinets are made with 18-ply birch plywood, which is bloody heavy. I'm sure the panels on these PXM's is a fraction of that thickness, and probably MDF.

Anyway, there is some noticeable panel resonance that occurs, even at moderate volumes. I think the bottom is the primary culprit, since you can knock on it and hear a ring right around the area that I hear a boxiness in the response of the cabinet that is not present on my studio monitors...400Hz or so. There are also two side panels that rang pretty well when you struck them, too.

I quick trip to Home Despot to get some 3/8" dowel rod, and I fixed that issue.
2AE7FDFB-EE2C-4EF3-961C-4C6999298D9E_1_105_c.jpeg

Basically, I used a trick I've used on subwoofer cabinets I used to make, creating some scaffolding inside the speaker to counterbrace opposing panels and break up resonances...or at least push them higher in frequency and force a lot less amplitude.

I also added a little more batting in one corner. I'm very pleased with the results. I used to have to notch a bit at that 400Hz area, and now it sounds great without it. It seems to have a bit more oomph in the lows and low mids, too, but that could be imagination. In any case, it was a pretty easy modification with excellent results.

Back
Top Bottom