Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

How is it working out for ya?

It sounds fantastic. It’s nice being able to hear my actual presets at full volume without any other coloration. It doesn’t have the feel of a cabinet per se, but it has a responsiveness that’s very natural and warm. It doesn’t feel like you are compromising on the lack of a guitar cabinet. It’s smaller than I expected, light, and extremely durable. I’m super impressed with it so far. Still haven’t done a side by side comparison with my PowerStage or KSR power amp, but first impressions is good, really good.

Mine does have a subtle distortion on the end of the note that others have mentioned, but it’s barely noticeable, and there’s no way you’d hear it in a full band. I’m playing out next weekend and that will determine how I proceed with my setup, but I’m loving it so far and think it’s going to perform flawlessly.

It sounds fantastic. It’s nice being able to hear my actual presets at full volume without any other coloration. It doesn’t have the feel of a cabinet per se, but it has a responsiveness that’s very natural and warm. It doesn’t feel like you are compromising on the lack of a guitar cabinet. It’s smaller than I expected, light, and extremely durable. I’m super impressed with it so far. Still haven’t done a side by side comparison with my PowerStage or KSR power amp, but first impressions is good, really good.

Mine does have a subtle distortion on the end of the note that others have mentioned, but it’s barely noticeable, and there’s no way you’d hear it in a full band. I’m playing out next weekend and that will determine how I proceed with my setup, but I’m loving it so far and think it’s going to perform flawlessly.
Interested in your reactions too.

Are you sure the distortion at the end of notes is from the monitor? That's pretty unusual, and not something I'm sure I could get along with.

Interested in your reactions too.

Are you sure the distortion at the end of notes is from the monitor? That's pretty unusual, and not something I'm sure I could get along with.
Mine have this issue too, it's definitely coming from the monitor. EV has acknowledged the problem and will fix it under warranty, I'm shipping mine out this week to have them repaired. Once you get over a certain volume the distortion is inaudible, so it may not be an issue for some. Unfortunately I use them for practicing at home a good bit at medium and sometimes low volume and it's pretty annoying. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with them and EV customer support has been great so far.

Mine have this issue too, it's definitely coming from the monitor. EV has acknowledged the problem and will fix it under warranty, I'm shipping mine out this week to have them repaired. Once you get over a certain volume the distortion is inaudible, so it may not be an issue for some. Unfortunately I use them for practicing at home a good bit at medium and sometimes low volume and it's pretty annoying. Other than that, I'm extremely happy with them and EV customer support has been great so far.
Interesting.

I wonder if the fix is in place on new units now. I'd hope so, it'd be annoying to buy these knowing that the first thing you have to do is ship them back to the factory.

Interesting.

I wonder if the fix is in place on new units now. I'd hope so, it'd be annoying to buy these knowing that the first thing you have to do is ship them back to the factory.
I'm not sure. I will say, when used at the volume you'd typically use a floor wedge in a band situation you would likely never hear the distortion. It is only noticeable for me at low to medium volumes using a clean guitar tone. As a note or chord decays, once it gets below a certain volume threshold it distorts. But if you use it a lot at lower volumes it can be annoying, once you hear it you can't unhear it.

I'm not sure. I will say, when used at the volume you'd typically use a floor wedge in a band situation you would likely never hear the distortion. It is only noticeable for me at low to medium volumes using a clean guitar tone. As a note or chord decays, once it gets below a certain volume threshold it distorts. But if you use it a lot at lower volumes it can be annoying, once you hear it you can't unhear it.

ive done like 15 gigs or more with this thing so far. cant hear that little bit of distortion , but i have an RMA and ill send it in anyway..But i have gigs where i need it..guess i need to buy another lol

ive done like 15 gigs or more with this thing so far. cant hear that little bit of distortion , but i have an RMA and ill send it in anyway..But i have gigs where i need it..guess i need to buy another lol
Yeah, I’m going to miss mine while they’re gone. Not knowing how quickly they’ll be fixed, I’m throwing around the idea of buying something cheap like a QSC CP8 in case it takes a while.

Anyone with an open RMA want to ask EV about new ones? Better to start there, where it's already an acknowledged issue, than from scratch.

Update from EV, who is being actually VERY proactive about this.

Whether your new unit will have this problem isn't known at this point. And it may well be that it won't bother you. As others have mentioned, it isn't going to be noticed at gig volume.

If you want to get the repair done, reach out them at:
repair@us.bosch.com
use subject line PXM-12MP Distortion Issue

Provide the following information:

Name
Email
Shipping Address
Phone Number
Serial Number of the unit
Issue(Digital Distortion)

Again, I am pleased with them for taking care of this issue. It really is a great speaker, and this will make it all the more so.

No, they have not. I suspect it's a noise gate issue, and that they are now regretting not having a USB port installed to allow for firmware updates.
Aha!

Well, swapping out the firmware on such a unit would still be doable if it's a simple chip. You can update the firmware on lightning controllers, some midi controllers etc by swapping out the chip (which just pops out, no soldering required).

Btw, do you have to pay shipping for this fix?

Aha!

Well, swapping out the firmware on such a unit would still be doable if it's a simple chip. You can update the firmware on lightning controllers, some midi controllers etc by swapping out the chip (which just pops out, no soldering required).

Btw, do you have to pay shipping for this fix?

Nope, free shipping back and forth
No, they have not. I suspect it's a noise gate issue, and that they are now regretting not having a USB port installed to allow for firmware updates.

Yes! this would have been great a usb port for that

I just mailed mine back to EV this week for the distortion repair. They said it should be a 5 day turn around once they receive it. I’ll update you guys after I get it back in about two weeks and let you know how it sounds after the fix.

Well, keep in mind that I'm SWAGing the actual cause, as well as the correction. But maybe with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, they might do things a little differently.

Still, I feel good that they're not leaving us with a bill or an explanation like "It only is audible at low audio levels, so don't use it there." Sadly, I've come to expect that from companies these days, with FAS being another notable exception.

I just mailed mine back to EV this week for the distortion repair. They said it should be a 5 day turn around once they receive it. I’ll update you guys after I get it back in about two weeks and let you know how it sounds after the fix.

coool, thats good to hear on the turnaround time. thanks

I'm mailing mine out this afternoon. Good to know that the turnaround is only a few weeks.

So the RMAs for my two speakers show as having been received by Bosch on May 6th, but I still haven't heard anything about them being shipped back or repair status. Has anyone else who returned their speakers for this noise issue gotten them back yet?

So the RMAs for my two speakers show as having been received by Bosch on May 6th, but I still haven't heard anything about them being shipped back or repair status. Has anyone else who returned their speakers for this noise issue gotten them back yet?
I just got the email that they received mine this morning. I'll let you know if I hear anything else, but I imagine you'll be getting yours back well before me.

Back
Top Bottom