Electro-Voice PXM-12MP report

BTW, if your looking to pick these up, talk to Peter at Manchester Music Mill. He did pretty good by me I think, and they're in New Hampshire so no sales tax.
Being in NH is no assurance of no sales tax, as Fractal is there and they do collect it.

That color version of the response chart is a lot easier to read than the grayscale version in the printed manual!

Looks like tripod mode does have a pretty big bump in the lows. I'll try monitor 2, even on poles.
It's a useful chart and, based on changing the settings between the modes while hitting the guitar, the chart seems to be pretty accurate.

I wasn't saying I was going to adjust my presets to the speakers per se, just that they might already have weird tonal balance because they were dialed in on speakers I trust less than these. The plan IS to use the PXMs as my reference monitors though, that's what I got them for.

Well, that, and to get my rocks off ;)
Did'ja crank them up? They get LOUD and really hold together.

It's a useful chart and, based on changing the settings between the modes while hitting the guitar, the chart seems to be pretty accurate.

Did'ja crank them up? They get LOUD and really hold together.
Add me to the Monitor 2 crowd, even on poles, way better balanced than Tripod mode.

Still getting my bearings tones-wise. I think my previous speakers may be a bit scooped, cause I'm hearing a lot of maybe 400hz in my presets, or maybe I'm just getting used to how this sounds.

I should get around to getting backing tracks and real albums playing through my rig too, for perspective.

I also switched to XLR cables and +4 level, as befits relatively pro gear, and now my out 1 knob on the Axe has to be somewhere around 9 o'clock to keep from blowing up the universe.

I also switched to XLR cables and +4 level, as befits relatively pro gear, and now my out 1 knob on the Axe has to be somewhere around 9 o'clock to keep from blowing up the universe.
I run XLR and +4 dB, with the cabs at 50%, and OUT on the modeler tends to land at 50% or just above. At that point, it's comfortably loud, blends well with FOH, and leaves enough room for the guy on the mixer to boost a solo if he wants. One of the guys who sits in and uses my gear seems to be intimidated by being able to clearly hear his guitar, so he runs his volume knob down around 3 and never rolls up his guitar volume for a solo, and ends up getting lost in the mix, so that "automated FOH solo boost" comes in handy. :)

I wish the PXM had bluetooth (like the new everse8) for the Quicksmart app. Sure would be nice to have wireless control rather than kneeling down to tweak.

I run XLR and +4 dB, with the cabs at 50%, and OUT on the modeler tends to land at 50% or just above. At that point, it's comfortably loud, blends well with FOH, and leaves enough room for the guy on the mixer to boost a solo if he wants. One of the guys who sits in and uses my gear seems to be intimidated by being able to clearly hear his guitar, so he runs his volume knob down around 3 and never rolls up his guitar volume for a solo, and ends up getting lost in the mix, so that "automated FOH solo boost" comes in handy. :)
By "cabs at 50%", I'm thinking you probably mean the physical Line/Mic knob on the PXMs at noon, the detented position. Right?

Being in NH is no assurance of no sales tax, as Fractal is there and they do collect it.
It may be that NH businesses have to collect sales tax if they sell to a buyer in a sales tax state, but I went to the store in person, and I'm quite certain there was none. Checked my receipt.

Love my PXM-12MP but that distortion on the end of the note happened and its on its way back to EV. EV covered it under warranty and sent paid shipping label (great service) - there is a three year warranty on these. Mine was made in 2001. The distortion problem on mine sounding almost like a noise gate turning off with distortion and noise coming back in - weird.
Is the distortion only at the end of a note? Not sure about mine but it seems to just be crackling andf breaking up sort of like a broken speaker cone. I noticed it after upgrading my FM3 so thought the upgrade was the issue, but perhaps it is the speaker and the timing is coincidental.

It may be that NH businesses have to collect sales tax if they sell to a buyer in a sales tax state, but I went to the store in person, and I'm quite certain there was none. Checked my receipt.
You are correct. I was only referring to online orders from out of state. I should have stated that initially.

Is the distortion only at the end of a note? Not sure about mine but it seems to just be crackling andf breaking up sort of like a broken speaker cone. I noticed it after upgrading my FM3 so thought the upgrade was the issue, but perhaps it is the speaker and the timing is coincidental.
See post #1 for a description of the product defect, as well as other posts. That has since been corrected.

Will do, thanks, and sorry for not starting from the top.
If it is an issue- EV is great to deal with. I was able to just call them give them the number off the speaker and they emailed a return label- 3 yr warranty from date of purchase. I miss my EV lol

The number is 800-289-0096
option 4 and then option 3

Last edited:
If it is an issue- EV is great to deal with. I was able to just call them give them the number off the speaker and they emailed a return label- 3 yr warranty from date of purchase. I miss my EV lol

The number is 800-289-0096
option 4 and then option 3
Thanks, I do still have the original box for the speaker. Not sure if there is an issue or not. I appreciate the info. I hope you get yours back soon. I really do love mine. My only issue is having to sit on the floor to see and/or change settings.

Thanks, I do still have the original box for the speaker. Not sure if there is an issue or not. I appreciate the info. I hope you get yours back soon. I really do love mine. My only issue is having to sit on the floor to see and/or change settings.
Sorry for the short reply the other day about this, but I was on a phone in line at a rental car company.

You've probably seen the descriptions of the hardware/firmware issue that EV has corrected: it's a distinct "tail" of buzz that you seem to only be able to hear as a note decays. In other words, the sound is low enough that playing covers it up. Most distortions tend to happen when the signal is loudest.

As for having to change settings on the unit, yeah, I hear you. Bluetooth control would have been nice, but pretty soon we'll start complaining about all the BT apps we have to download to our phones just to do a show. The fact that you can store and recall several settings for your most regular or most difficult venues is still pretty cool.

Sorry for the short reply the other day about this, but I was on a phone in line at a rental car company.

You've probably seen the descriptions of the hardware/firmware issue that EV has corrected: it's a distinct "tail" of buzz that you seem to only be able to hear as a note decays. In other words, the sound is low enough that playing covers it up. Most distortions tend to happen when the signal is loudest.

As for having to change settings on the unit, yeah, I hear you. Bluetooth control would have been nice, but pretty soon we'll start complaining about all the BT apps we have to download to our phones just to do a show. The fact that you can store and recall several settings for your most regular or most difficult venues is still pretty cool.
No worries on the delay, and apolgies for my delay. Busy week for both of us I guess. For me Bluetooth is a mixed bag due to reliability issues. I just wish they had designed it so the controls were more easily adjusted. But not a major quibble as I am very happy with the product.

I will pay attention and see if what I noticed is what you have experienced. Anyway, thanks for the dialog on this issue. Much appreciated!

You've probably seen the descriptions of the hardware/firmware issue that EV has corrected: it's a distinct "tail" of buzz that you seem to only be able to hear as a note decays.
When people started talking about that noise issue, I called EV's support and asked about it. They said it was easy to hear if the cabs had the problem, but that they had found and fixed the problem very quickly in their production, and were happy to fix it if anyone ran into it.

There are still units in the box with the problem, probably stuck in some back corner of a warehouse. Perhaps it's possible to tell whatever salesman you're dealing with that you want fresh ones, ones with the highest serial numbers.

Reactions: Rex
Are any of you folks using the Monitor 2 setting using them pole mounted? I've always had my FRFRs on poles so they pointed directly at me and the other musicians.

I just got a pair of these, and on poles with the Tripod setting and everything else flat there's a lot of low end. Could well be my presets, which were dialed in on other (much crappier) speakers, trying to figure that out. I'll check some factory presets too, but I'm also looking for a reasonable baseline response curve, before I go nuts "fixing" everything.

I suggest listening to music that you're familiar with on the speaker. I tune mine as I tune a PA system. And tune at the level you'll use them at. I want to be somewhat confident that my presets sound pretty much the same for me as they do out front. If they don't, blame the FOH engineer!

Setting and EQ will much depend on room, level and placement.

Back
Top Bottom