Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

For those guys that got the replacement non smelly speakers, is there a lot # or other identifying number or maybe just the serial # (if they go chronologically) that I could mention when ordering so I don't end up with an older smelly one!? Haha!

Eric

For those guys that got the replacement non smelly speakers, is there a lot # or other identifying number or maybe just the serial # (if they go chronologically) that I could mention when ordering so I don't end up with an older smelly one!? Haha!

Eric

Hey Eric,

I've got to email EV again to get my return label for the smelly ones, so I'll try to remember to ask them if there is a certain lot number that can be looked at to verify the non-smelly speakers. I'll let you know what I find out.

Just bought one used the other day and forgot to ask about the stink. I think a skunk lived in it. I put a question into EV but it's used so I don't expect much help. I was just hoping for a home remedy for the speaker's halitosis.

Just placed an order for an ELX112p- hopefully coming by mid- next week. Starting a new job then, so hopefully will be able to post a report sometime soon...

I did return mine to ev they sent new ones, 95% stink gone, by 2 wks, 99% gone, now I have to learn how to tweak these and the axe 2 to sound good. I need help on input levels maybe set at 3pm? and output levels from the axe 2, how high to turn things on the axe 2 to get proper output to the speakers? eg. I can turn output knob al the way and a bit louder, but with headphones, I would go deaf, I think its the input knob I had at noon on the speaker? Havent had time to recheck yet.

If anyone wants to share their thoughts, I am interested in how these sound with the Axe II.

What do you guys have the switches set to? Full Range or With sub, and why? And Normal or Boost? Then where do you have your input level and loudspeaker level knobs set at for home playing?

Do you change the switch settings mentioned above for pole mounted or on the floor, and if your playing at home vs. band practice? Thanks!

Eric

What do you guys have the switches set to? Full Range or With sub, and why? And Normal or Boost? Then where do you have your input level and loudspeaker level knobs set at for home playing?

Do you change the switch settings mentioned above for pole mounted or on the floor, and if your playing at home vs. band practice? Thanks!

Eric

Great questions which I have asked before!! So, tonight I had my first breakthru, again only a few hours with the ultra now a few hours a few months later with the axe 2. Currently I set the input to 3 oclock on the speakers. Set the response switch to "with sub" though I have no sub, NOT FRFR. My speakers are up on standard height tables eg a small computer station, at two opposite corners of the room facing me. I am a home player in a average bedroom size.

Insanely the axe ultra sounded thin through the frfr setting so I assumed this was the same on the 2, but it was the worst sounding boomy bassy muffled in a cave hideous sound Ive ever heard, oh yeah and flubby.

NOw my mission is to find a happy medium between full output of the axe 2, for full realization of the patches, without blowing my ears out, and all the while dealing with this bastard fletcher munson. I think turning down the output on the speakers may be necessary while turning up the output on the front of the axe 2. I am guessin also, as many have said, a great pair of studio monitors will ultimately sound most like what you hear on a cd, and these live x will achieve a more amp like sound (which they did tonight I am actually happy to say, rriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing , "hello these are your ears calling". hope this helps. ps there is also quite a difference if the tweeters are ear level or the woofer, even while up on a stand, eg. whether I sit or stand, again happy medium, and happier to get more medium, I was truly scared for a while.

Thanks for all the info Symphx. I have an ELX112P as well, and I will be continuously reading your postings on how it's sounding with the Axe II. :)

8-10 feet, trying to get that stage separation, I certainly didnt buy 2 to run in stereo to be right next to each other? so not sure what the problem would be.

IMHO, that's too far apart. Try putting them about 5 to 6 feet apart, with you being about the same distance from each one, in a sort of triangle. Kind of like with near-field monitors, but a bit further apart. Just try it to see what it sounds like. You may or may not like the result. Worth a try I think.

no worries, its sounding better and better my friend. I am in roughly a triangle in my current setups equal distance monitors to themselves and me. sort of like a home theater, I wouldnt want the 2 mains too close, additionally I have a pretty full room with a v drums and closets, cant really put them closer. seriously tonight I was in near nirvana. chugging away, goofing with different mics on the same cabs, and a baseketweave with a red rectifier! I have no idea what a basketweave is but Im guessing it wasnt meant for super chugging gain? (but works great, maybe its the mesaboogie mark series type speaker? who knows, its so cool to screw around with these).

Very cool!

Basketweaves are old Marshall cabinets. Not typically used for high gain chugga-chugga, but hey.... if is sounds good to you, it IS good!

appears its a stock red wire! uh oh, I havent even tried my own hammers, need the editor to make things easy, in fact I have no idea how to get an ir from my computer into the axe 2; I will say midiox has worked but crashes my computer after use.

You should be able to upload IRs using your USB connection and Axe-Edit. Should being the key word here... I don't have any Axe-II experience to back up that statement. ;)

You can upload IRs to the II.

Edit the cab block and choose the User slot you want to upload to. Then send the IR .syx file to your Axe II with your midi librarian of choice.

Page 169 of the manual.

Last edited:
So are you guys using the EV's using 2 or just 1?

I play in 80's metal bands and am thinking about going this route and don't know if 1 is enough to compete with the rest of the band (in particular during practice).

Back
Top Bottom