Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

Hello everybody, Im new to the board, 43 year old life long metal player, bedroom for fun, Doctor by day. Anyhow, I am nearing pulling the trigger on an ultra, still debating if it has enough variety of high gains, I like a broad spectrum Ratt to Necrophagist. also of course debating using my avatar 2x12, running direct into my very cooly peavey vypyr 2x12 (should be frfr as its a tube modeling pre and power amp) or going pure frfr a la this discussion.

1)Will this be too loud for a bedroom/does it sound good at low or medium volumes (remember I do basically have a 120w 4x4 at this point and love it)
2) Is this one speaker enough to get all the full sound one would want from an axefx
3) Could this speaker/amp feed itself and a 2x12? (I am running the 2x12 at 16 ohms received)

Requiem we likely have the same tastes in music so I would love your input, and ps I live in northbay sf, are you or your bands anywhere near?

Symphx,

I am also a Ratt fan. I think you will love the Ultra.

As for home I would get some high quality monitors. I plan to upgrade but I am currently using Yamaha HS80's and the Axe FX sounds great through them and are plenty loud.

still debating if it has enough variety of high gains...
"Enough variety" is a subjective judgement. Only you can answer that. In the WIKI, you'll find lists of which amps and cabs are emulated in the Axe-FX. There's a pretty wide choice of high-gain stuff there. Third-party IRs greatly expand the possible permutations.

also of course debating using my avatar 2x12, running direct into my very cooly peavey vypyr 2x12 (should be frfr as its a tube modeling pre and power amp) or going pure frfr a la this discussion.
The Vypyr speakers may be flatter than than some other guitar speakers, but they're nowhere near FRFR. You just can't get wide-range, flat response from a single driver size. Ditto for the Avatar. Great speaker, but not FRFR by any means.

1)Will this be too loud for a bedroom/does it sound good at low or medium volumes (remember I do basically have a 120w 4x4 at this point and love it)
Not if you turn it down. The Axe excells at delivering a pushed-tube sound at low volume. You won't get the whole enchilada — the physics of a guitar reacting to a high-volume sound field prohibit that with any amplification system — but you can get mighty close.

2) Is this one speaker enough to get all the full sound one would want from an axefx)
It can get loud and full enough to make you want to leave the room.

3) Could this speaker/amp feed itself and a 2x12? (I am running the 2x12 at 16 ohms received))
Most powered monitors don't provide power amp output terminals. In any case, you probably won't want to mix FRFR and non-FRFR speakers. FRFR can use the cab sims; non-FRFR can't.

Just curious any reason for the ex112 discussed here vs the Ev sxa100? anybody hear both or have the knowledge to pick apart the specs?

Just curious any reason for the ex112 discussed here vs the Ev sxa100? anybody hear both or have the knowledge to pick apart the specs?

Because the EX112 is what the OP bought, and what he posted about. I have the SXa-100 and like it very much, but I haven't heard the EX112, so I can't compare it.

sorry bad wording, I just meant is there a reason one would buy one over the other, ie. which one should I buy, I didnt mean why is the OP discussing what he bought. I just noticed 2 of similar things, and curious the +/- of each? I am nowhere near where I could try either, unfortunately.

I know it may not make musical sense but is there any chance the out put could feed sound into a passive speaker cabinet as well, on your sx? Do you have one sxa-100 and find it perfectly suitable for frfr, bedroom playing? thanks for any help.

I just meant is there a reason one would buy one over the other, ie. which one should I buy...
"Which one should I buy?" That's the eternal question. I've scoured the Internet looking for the answer to that question for many different kinds of products, and never found a definitive answer for anything. In each case, I wound up researching until my head was spinning, then just gave in and bought based on what I knew or thought I knew.

In this case, there's more than just "which of these twk EV products should I buy?" There are many manufacturers in the game. What swayed me to the SxA-100s was finding a great deal on a pair of used ones. I knew that there were satisfied people who owned them, I listened to them before I bought, and I found them pleasing.

I know it may not make musical sense but is there any chance the out put could feed sound into a passive speaker cabinet as well, on your sx? Do you have one sxa-100 and find it perfectly suitable for frfr, bedroom playing? thanks for any help.
Here's the answer I PMed to you earlier tonight.

have two SxA-100s. I think they sound great at all levels, and they can get plenty loud enough to compete with "real" tube amps. Are they perfectly suited to it? I haven't heard enough different speakers to know what "perfect" is. I'm sure you can find better speakers in higher price ranges. I'm equally sure you can find a whole lot worse.

Can it feed a passive cab? I'm sure that's possible, but you'd have to do some surgery. There's no power-amp-out connection. You'd have to open up the cab and create one. Also note that it's a bi-amped speaker. It has separate mpower amps for woofer and tweeter.

Here's the deal on the 15-inch issue. Most speakers throw sound in a pretty even spread over a fairly wide angle. But above a certain frequency, they start to "beam" (concentrate the sound in a narrow beam). That frequency is determined by the spekaer's diameter; bigger speakers start to beam at lower frequencies. In order to prevent beaming, you have to set the crossover frequency pretty low. But that means you have to force the tweeter to handle lower frequencies that it's able to. If you set the crossover frequency low enough to prevent the woofer from beaming, you risk blowing the tweeter by forcing it to handle power at a lower frequency than it was designed for. That's why 15-inchers aren't the best choice for two-way speakers. If someone loves their 15-inch, two-way speaker, it means they don't mind the beaming, or they don't notice it.

Anyone try the un-powered version of this speaker yet? I already have a poweramp so I was thinking that I can get two of these for $600 and be running in full stereo.

I'm very interested to here how this monitor is working out for the OP and any others who are using one with an Axe-FX. The price point is most attractive.

I ordered an ELX112P tonight. I'll post a quick review once it arrives and I've had a little time to play through it.

Last edited:
I'm still using it, and it's working out very well for me :) I'd like to get another, especially a FBT Verve 12mA, to A/B with. But so far I am very pleased with the purchase

Good to here! Thanks for the update. :) I just purchased a new ELX112P for $500 shipped. It should arrive by Thursday next week. I'm looking forward to working with it.

Good to here! Thanks for the update. :) I just purchased a new ELX112P for $500 shipped. It should arrive by Thursday next week. I'm looking forward to working with it.

Look forward to your additional input on these, as I am interested also.

Tried them just now ...

So I just tried the 112P and it made me think I have seen the light again. I had previous success with EVs ZXA1 but sold them because I needed a bit more volume. Then tried the K10 and to me it was cold and harsh. At the band practice place they only have the JBL EON 515 and combined with my experience with the K10, it made me doubt the whole FRFR concept.

That is until I just tried two 112Ps and it feels like I have seen the true capability of the Axe. The thing I noted the most was the feel. I have a Mission 5E3 Tweed Deluxe that I think has a fantastic feel and with the new EV the feel was just there immediately.

Beyond that, it is super smooth (discussions of "correct" and flat aside), the sound is just incredibly pleasing. No need to do any PEQs etc. to fix the high end.

In the other end of the frequency spectrum, it also has an incredible bottom - the K10 is not even close.

Highly recommended!

All IMHO.

still wondering what the rocktron velocity 300 and a passive ev live x 12 or 2 would sound like /compare to the powered speaker, I want a real frfr but the versatility of a separate power amp. any thoughts?

My EV ELX112P arrived today and so far I like what I'm hearing. More to come....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom