Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

Has anybody tried the EXL115P? I tried this out along with a QSC K12 at Sam Ash. Both mounted on stands with the same audio. The EXL115P blew the QSC K12 away IMO. The EXL115P really moved the air and felt more like my 4x12's and tube amps. The K12 did not move as much as air and the bass was weak in my opinion. I know what everyone says about the 15" 2 way speaker, but I liked it. Like Scott Peterson said it well, "use your ears". I think I'm going to buy a pair of these. They are certainly alot cheaper than the Mackie HD1531 and QSC KW153's I have been considering.

Roger

I just got in my two ELX112Ps today. Unfortunately, my Axe-FX is at my practice space and I only had my iPod to test them out with today. They sound very good so far. I just need to do some A/B'ing with the K12 and the Axe-FX on Monday.

Oh, and I did get them from ProAudioStar using their coupon code for $475 per speaker with free shipping.

I just got mine today via American Musical 479.00 each, free extended warranty, no tax and free shipping. I've played them for about 2 hours now and I can say very excellent speakers for the price, crystal clear and excellent low end and super clean high end response.

i'm loving mine so far -- it did smell a little bit like weed at first, though. still haven't tried it with the band yet.

I just got mine today via American Musical 479.00 each, free extended warranty, no tax and free shipping. I've played them for about 2 hours now and I can say very excellent speakers for the price, crystal clear and excellent low end and super clean high end response.

EXL112P or EXL115P?

ANYBODY know the actual rms or continuous wattage on these; the 1000w deal is at most peak; I also find I actually have to turn them up input and output pretty high at least noon to 1 just to get bedroom level (with axe output about 9oclock)

Axel, I have the ELX-112Ps... those were the ones you heard when I visited a few months back. Just a reminder. :)

Yep, rtcook was mentioning how good the 115P's sound, so I was curious how much difference there was between the sound of the 112P and the 115P. Have you heard any 115P's?

Last edited:
I have not heard the 115Ps. But, I'm fairly sure they wouldn't be able to compete with your two 4x12s. :lol :mrgreen

I've already got the Matrix GT800FX for powering my 2 Avatar 2x12 cabs so I went for the passive on Ebay - you can get the passive 12" version for only $245 with free ship in the US. Couldn't pass it up after reading this thread. The idea of going to a gig and running direct FOH and my own FRFR monitor to control the desired volume level since sound guys typically don't care what it sounds like to the band seems ideal. I'll find out next week. Hell, even if my cabs sound better, I can still use this FRFR speaker to help dial in the FOH output. Seems like a win/win.

I agree with that from your guys perspective of playing out. But, I am just playing at home. My goal was to be able to use just the Axe and clear out a ton of equipment, but still have that cab in the room full tube tone stack feel. The two ELX115P's do give me that feel. They are not perfect, but I am still dialing them in and trying different IR's. I am getting closer every day to the tone I am chasing. Plus, the 15's are better for my bass. I use the SVT and 8x10 cab and it sound pretty damn good. I'll be able to get rid of my Ampeg combo now. Its a win-win for me. But, I'm doing something a little different then you guys are.

Roger

Wait a minute...

2x15=30
2(4x1e2)=96

Damn, you're right, what was I thinking :lol

Hey ELX 112p folks ... I have been gigging with a pair of these for about a year now. My stage tone is tighter and more fun than my old school ass had EVER experienced with a traditional amp/cab PLUS my confidence of what is in the FOH is much better.

My ONLY complaint - THERMAL SHUT DOWN - the specs say to not operate them in temperatures at or above 104 degrees. 99% of the shows this past year have not come close to that but I have still had them blink off randomly on occasion.

Has anyone else experienced this? Aside from blowing a box fan at them during shows, does anyone have any suggestions or work arounds?

Wait a minute...

2x15=30
2(4x12)=96

Damn, you're right, what was I thinking :lol
Actually, if you figure the surface area of the cones the 8 x 12's are about 905 square inches. 2 x 15's are about 353 square inches.

Volume Displacement = surface area of cone x XMax (maximum linear travel.) Most guitar drivers have a low XMax in the neighborhood of 1mm - 2mm, while PA drivers can have 6mm or more. Therefore two 15's could meet or exceed the total "amount of air moved" by 8 x 12's.

My ONLY complaint - THERMAL SHUT DOWN - the specs say to not operate them in temperatures at or above 104 degrees. 99% of the shows this past year have not come close to that but I have still had them blink off randomly on occasion.

Has anyone else experienced this? Aside from blowing a box fan at them during shows, does anyone have any suggestions or work arounds?

I used to have a Mackie SRM450 that would over heat and shut down when used as a wedge. The only thing that 'helped' (other than a fan), was to elevate it onto a milk crate. I thought that it would allow for a little better airflow than sitting directly on the floor. It seemed to help...although the thing was so touchy, I was never sure that it was definitely helping. Just an idea for you though.

(on a side note)
I had a friend that also used the SRM450 as a wedge, and had the same thermal shut down issue that I had....and he found the REAL solution for the Mackie.
After shutting down in the middle of the thirds set (as it always did), he took the monitor....unplugged it....walked outside....and threw it in the Hudson River.
Definitely cooled it down.....and it never had a thermal shut down again. :)

Back
Top Bottom