Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

So what's the verdict on these these days?

Are you guys still loving them? Has anyone bothered to compare with the atomics?! Reading this thread gave me the impression that a lot of EQing is involved to make them sound good.

Does anyone have experience with the passive version using solid state poweramps like the matrix gt800fx and such? 300$ for the passive version seems fun but i'm not interested in spending my time EQing to make things feel natural.

DADA was supposed to post a review but never had the chance to do so unlessi missed it.

The passives are very attractive for the price but the atomics aren't that much more.

Anyone?

I saw Larry Mitchell Friday night at a EV clinic, and he sounded great through the EV system. Althought the mains were from the Tour X series but the LiveX112's were used as floor monitors. I wasn't hearing those 'cause they were pointed towards Larry so you'd have to ask him what he thinks. $300 for the passives is hard to beat, very tempting at that price.

figured them out, they are great; the eqing is due to room placement, height and corner placement all issues with the room, not the monitors, cant go wrong imho

With nothing plugged in and with the Main and Input Volumes at 0, at 3-4 feet I get noticeable hiss from the tweeter. The Input Volume doesn't effect it but the higher the Main Volume is, the louder it gets. Is this normal? When I have gear plugged in it is still there but not noticeable when I am playing; only at idle.

Is this hiss noticeable at bedroom-studio levels? More opinions about this?

I returned the RCF 310a because of the hiss, I'd like to know if the ELX112P would be usable at home or if the hiss would be too annoying.

figured them out, they are great; the eqing is due to room placement, height and corner placement all issues with the room, not the monitors, cant go wrong imho

This is a big part of why I prefer a guitar cab. All this mess with getting way different results in different rooms bothers me, especially since I practically never play in ideal spaces. That being said, I do plan on trying FRFR again one day when I can afford the higher end stuff.

This is a big part of why I prefer a guitar cab. All this mess with getting way different results in different rooms bothers me, especially since I practically never play in ideal spaces. That being said, I do plan on trying FRFR again one day when I can afford the higher end stuff.
That's a problem with the interplay between speakers and room acoustics. It's not just a FRFR problem. Even traditional amp/cab rigs sound different in different venues. An amp that's perfectly tweaked for, say, your practice space will sound boomy and muddy if you have to place it in the corner of a hard-walled stage.

Requiem,

Your results look very promissing! In the comming days I will try the passive version with my Matrix GT800FX. If the EV's outplay my TT-cabs/beyma cabs the TT-cabs have to go.

Regards

Let us know when you tried it DADA.... I am about to shoot for a Matrix but with another passive speaker and if your results are good I will probably go for it too... ;)

From what I recall, DADA was banned from the Forum and probably won't be reporting back. I got ahold of DADA on rig-talk a few days ago regarding the speakers but DADA never tried them and thus couldn't give a opinion on them.

I'm surprised nobody has since reported and compared the EV Live X 112 to the Atomic cabs or with the Matrix GT800FX.

At the price I'm extremely tempted but I'm more tempted to go the Xitone way mostly after hearing Scott Peterson and hippietim's reviews of the Xitone X7. Although there hasn't been any comparison between the Xitones and the Atomic cabs either and I'd be very interested in hearing about it as well.

I'm still really happy with mine, and it's working great, for what it's worth. I've left it on overnight on many occasions, and it's still chugging away. One of my bandmates let a friend of his (who is a professional musician) use the EV112xs from our PA for a gig he was doing, and he raved about them.

I use a passive ELX 112 with an ART SLA-2 bridging both channels. It was less 500 altogether, and sounds great It's VERY meaty and clear. I have noticed that there's something lacking in the high-end when compared to Yamaha HS80M studio monitors. I haven't played through a full PA system yet, so I'm not sure if the Yamahas or ELX/ART would be a more accurate representation of a full system. I do have a buddy that runs a small bar/venue that might let me come screw around sometime.

That's good to hear. I've been thinking about either the K12, 1221hd, jbl or the ev112p. I remember back when gt6s where one of the best I used to drool over mackie srm450s. If all goes well I hope to pick up the 112p shortly. Thanks for the update

I ordered two of these for use as floor monitors in my bands practice space. I'll have a chance to directly compare it to my K12 with the AxeFX and see which one I like better. If it's anywhere close to my K12, I might be saying goodbye to it and get another ELX112P.

just ordered one of these fro proaudiostar today to use with my Axe standard -- this will be my first try at FRFR. looking forward to trying!

Back
Top Bottom