Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

So anyone else having the smell issue and any way to resolve it besides returning the speaker? I really want one of these EVs but I'm not gonna lie, this issue is making me lean back towards the k12 to go with my incoming axe 2.

Eric

No other way to resolve it that I know of. Cool thing is that EV is sending me replacement speakers, should be here in the next couple of days. I get to check them out, to be sure there is no smell issue, and then send back the smelly ones, at no cost to me. EV's customer service regarding this situation has been top notch.

I'll update this thread once I get the replacements to see if the smell is gone. If it is, you may want to contact EV's Customer Service, and ask them which retailers have received the new and improved non-smelly versions of these speakers so you can buy with confidence.

Got my new replacement EV 112Ps today. Smell is GONE! Whoo-hoo!

And, just for shits and giggles, I decided to set the new ones up on my speaker stands and get them up off the floor... WOW did this make a HUGE difference in sound quality! I didn't run the Axe-Fx through them (I sold my Ultra!), I was just running music through them. I'd have to say they sound as good if not a little bit better than my KRK Rokit G2 8 nearfield monitors. Amazing what placement can do for the sound coming out of a speaker. I was running them in full range mode, flat eq mode. Bass was not boomy at all, like it tended to be on the floor. I know this subject has been discussed before, about getting monitors up off the floor to get rid of boomy bass type issues, but I was really surprised at how good they sounded in the upper range as well, which I'm sure has to do with getting the horn around ear level. These speakers sound so smooth in the upper range, I listened to them at rather loud levels for an hour, and had no ear fatigue.

I can't wait to hear the Axe II through them now, and do some comparisons with the EVs and my Rokits.

Did I mention the skunk weed smell is gone? ;)

Agreed. The ELX112P sounds bass heavy on the floor. Get it off of the floor and it balances nicely. While it's not truly flat response or full frequency (not in the truest sense anyway) it sounds great with the Axe-FX. I haven't demo'd the Axe-FX with any other FRFR powered loudspeaker so if there's a better 'pro-sumer' FRFR solution I remain blissfully unaware of what I (may be) missing.

Thomas-Hawk - I look forward to reading how these work out for you with the Axe-FX II.

I mentioned before, no bass heaviness at all off the floor with mine, new ones basically smell free other than 2 inches away. I am axeless now but through a behringer v pro, and some v drums, it does seem like the first half of the output is fairly useless. eg. only gets loud from noon on (for both input and output) I dont know if this is normal for power amps, I am so used to combo amps and hifi stereo stuff, that gets super loud in the first half of the volume dial. In fact ive read 95% of volume will be in the first part of a typical volume knob and typically not much from noon on.

A lot of guitar amps jump to a high volume right away as you start to crank the knob. It's a sales tactic: "See how loud it is? And I've only got the volume at 10 o'clock! This is a crankin' amp!" Often, turning it up the rest of the way doesn't make it much louder. Pro audio gear usually spreads the volume out more evenly across the knob to give you a more useful range. Don't sweat the knob setting. If it gets as loud as you need, it's loud enough.

For any of you guys that have the speaker off the floor can you show us any pictures of what you've got the EV's sitting on? Do you have them vertical then I'm assuming?

@ symphx - Have you check the output on the v pro or v drums? If that volume is way down that could be affecting the output you're perceiving from the EVs. Just a thought. Cause that is a headscratcher that it's not loud to you. It should be deafening!! haha!

Eric

Yeah, I've got mine sitting on some heavy duty home theater speaker stands that I'm not using anymore, cuz I don't have a home theater anymore. :cry

Yes, they're sitting vertical. With these stands, it puts the horn right about ear level, a little above while sitting. I'll take a couple pics tonight and post 'em.

yeah I know it must be the input volume, its odd but its like these things need phantom power or something. anyhoo , mine are on 1) a computer table 2) an old keyboard amp set up far end corner of a 8x15 room

For any of you guys that have the speaker off the floor can you show us any pictures of what you've got the EV's sitting on? Do you have them vertical then I'm assuming?

@ symphx - Have you check the output on the v pro or v drums? If that volume is way down that could be affecting the output you're perceiving from the EVs. Just a thought. Cause that is a headscratcher that it's not loud to you. It should be deafening!! haha!

Eric

how do you upload pics, Ive looked in help file still cant figure it out, wanna walk me throught? insert image just gives a url?

Here's a picture of one of mine. Sorry for the bad quality (camera on phone):

EV112POnSpeakerStand.jpg

how do you upload pics, Ive looked in help file still cant figure it out, wanna walk me throught? insert image just gives a url?

You gotta upload your photo to a hosting site, like PhotoBucket or something similar. Then, you can link to it in your post.

any other way, ? I hate to use public posting sites. faq says there is a way to create photo folders, but this seems to have been disabled? ps mine are higher more like if you put them on say a kitchen table or standard desk, for what its worth, unfortunately I have no idea how this will sound at this point.

I discovered that 2 of theses placed side by side fit perfectly in a 4X12 case. There's empty space in the top, but I just filled it with extra foam that I had. I placed some foam in the tray to raise them a couple of inches and I just leave them in the tray on stage.

Ok so I hooked up 2 of the Live x 112 passives to my Matrix GT800fx and was initially surprised at how good my tone was. All of my presets came to life, particularly my higher gains. Just awesome.

I then used this setup at a full band practice. I has the things cranked and it seemed I was having trouble cutting through the mix. My other guitarist only uses a 2x12. I turned the presence up in a few of my presets and treble and mids up in the GEQ and it seemed to help a little. I will see how I go next jam.

In conclusion all the sounds clarity is there and as a standalone setup this really shines. When placed in a loud band situation this clarity and minor detail becomes somewhat irrelevant as you try and cut through the mix, which at this stage, I am struggling to do. Maybe I need some EQ tips.

Ok so I hooked up 2 of the Live x 112 passives to my Matrix GT800fx and was initially surprised at how good my tone was. All of my presets came to life, particularly my higher gains. Just awesome.

I then used this setup at a full band practice. I has the things cranked and it seemed I was having trouble cutting through the mix. My other guitarist only uses a 2x12. I turned the presence up in a few of my presets and treble and mids up in the GEQ and it seemed to help a little. I will see how I go next jam.

In conclusion all the sounds clarity is there and as a standalone setup this really shines. When placed in a loud band situation this clarity and minor detail becomes somewhat irrelevant as you try and cut through the mix, which at this stage, I am struggling to do. Maybe I need some EQ tips.

MMMM, just a thought.

Sorry to mention but maybe you should have bought the EVM12L's. Thiese will serious brings some balls in your sound.

Regards

Maybe try boosting a couple db at 2khz on Global. See if that helps. Crossover is at 2.1khz so there "may" be a dip there.

MMMM, just a thought.

Sorry to mention but maybe you should have bought the EVM12L's. Thiese will serious brings some balls in your sound.

Regards

Hey Dada

I tried an orange cab loaded with some EVM12L's. Yes was loud and ballsy but harsh to my ears and the speakers were definatly colouring the sound. I also tried with cab sims on, running output 2 through a PA. The sound through the PA and the EVM12L's was very different, neither was distinctly better than the other, but as expected the EVM12L's were definatly alot more like a guitar speaker, which was not what I wanted, was just too fizzy with cab sims on. The sound through the live x's with cab sims on is very good, its just trying to find the right frequencies to boost to cut through the mix.

The other thing is I do not have access to a good cab maker in Aus (you guys in Europe has TT which look awesome :)). Maybe in the future this will change.

Back
Top Bottom