Electro-Voice Live X 112P arrived today (unboxing inside!)

how do you guys set the input? benefit of any certain position. obviously one wants to get the full sound of the axe, would that mean max the input clockwise and then just adjust output? I wonder what the sweet spot is for full realization of the input sound.?

Ended up returning mine. The stench was deafening. Bandmates said to get them out of the studio. They also stunk up my amp room at the house. It must be the speakers because they stunk the most when playing. Puff-puff the stink would blast out...the sound was good though...wonder if it is unhealthy to breath that stuff?

wow, does anyone elses go away, I juust got mine they do smell and in a smaller office, if gets worse while playing maybe will dissipate over time? I have to say smells like candle wax when the boxes open, but skunkier close up. pppppppppppppppplease tell me it goes away, the expense of returning may be impossible for me.

any body getting any deep bass or "air" outa these. Im a bit worried (no axe yet) using a gt10; wondering if I shoulda gone with 15 inch? despite the Jay discussion, or am I gonna be stuck buying a 18 inch sub for thump? just wonderin, I like the thump in the chest feel using a 4x12 and chugging riffs, metal etc.

Mine smell very little. I can smell the marijuana smell if I get like within 3" of it. Have you guys tried wiping them down with a wet cloth or anything?

I have to be right up on the grille to smell anything with mine.

On another note: anyone getting sympathetic vibration noise from the amp control panel? I get vibration noise from the panel when playing a low G. I am able to stop this by placing slight pressure on the panel just above the power cord socket and power switch. I might be able to dampen it myself but that might void the warranty

symphx, I was having a problem with TOO much bass... I can't imagine anyone having trouble not getting enough! How do you have the switches on the back set?

The smell on mine is still there, but it is slowly dissipating.

Deaj, no issues with panel vibrations on mine. Is this happening at loud volumes, or all the time?

...Deaj, no issues with panel vibrations on mine. Is this happening at loud volumes, or all the time?

It's not an issue at low volume. As it begins to approach jam/rehearsal/gig levels the vibration noise is audible when it occurs. I'll give EV support a call later this week and see what they can do to assist. Thanks for the response! :)

Hello all, I called support, they were ammmmmmmmmmmmmazing, long story short, there is a problems in some of the speakers, its inherent in the woofer, not the glue. Its a byproduct similar to natural gas , probably some petrolatum etc.
anyhoo, since I just bought mine they are going out of their way to personally inspect new ones and send me those, with which I can return my others in the same boxes. NICE. Keep in mind Ive had mine 1 week, and notified them right away. they said 5000 of these shipped, maybe 10 complaints, but vvvvvvvvvvvvvery impressive.

Great to hear! I'm sure they'll take care of my issue. I'll report back what happens when I call EV support.

Hello all, I called support, they were ammmmmmmmmmmmmazing, long story short, there is a problems in some of the speakers, its inherent in the woofer, not the glue. Its a byproduct similar to natural gas , probably some petrolatum etc.
anyhoo, since I just bought mine they are going out of their way to personally inspect new ones and send me those, with which I can return my others in the same boxes. NICE. Keep in mind Ive had mine 1 week, and notified them right away. they said 5000 of these shipped, maybe 10 complaints, but vvvvvvvvvvvvvery impressive.

Wow, I think I'm going to contact them too. Like I said before, the smell is dissipating, but very slowly. Would be nice to just get rid of it completely. Thanks symphx!

I spoke with EV support on Friday and they were very helpful! I explained my issue in detail. The rep said he wanted the engineers to identify possible causes for the audible sympathetic vibration noise occurring at the amp control panel. The same rep called me back within 4 hours as he said he would and told me that they haven't had any reports of this problem so far. He gave me the name and location of the nearest service center / dealer and said they could arrange a swap for a new ELX112P anytime during the 3 year warranty.

This doesn't suck! :)

big bluntz sound

Great to hear EV service has been responsive. I've been following this thread for a while with great interest. Seems like great bang/$.

I had a laugh though, about the smell thing. A while back I salvaged a sub and some home theater speakers (used, several years old). I haven't had a chance to hook them up so they've sat in a corner of my studio. A couple of weeks ago I started noticing "that middle Eastern scent" as the dear old Mom of a Brit drummer pal used to put it. After reading about these skunky PAs I realized the source. Maybe that' why my neighbor tossed them. So whatever it is, it's not an EV exclusive - Klipsch (sub) and/or Polk speakers do it too. Hemp cones anyone?:mrgreen

I also contacted EV service via email (thanks symphx for the address), and they got back to me in a day or so. He said they've identified the smell problem, and had an independent lab test it to be sure it's not toxic. He DIDN'T say that it wouldn't give me the munchies, though. :lol

He said they will replace both of my ELX112Ps when they're confident the new ones they're getting in have resolved the smell problem. Good customer service so far, will be GREAT if they follow through in a timely manner.

any body any idea why v drums barely make a sound through these unless everything cranked? is it a preamp issue? honestly I guess im used to guitar combos, but I thought 1000 w would blow up my house. I have 2 of these in a bedroom and while I only got a few hours before returning my ultra, they werent exactly earth shattering. I still dont get how my 100w 2x12 randall on 1 blows me to smithereens, and 1000w speakers are just semi loud?

I don't know anything about v drums but my guess is it is a level issue. These things can be deafening. I have a K12 and it will absolutely drown out my 1/2 stack.

yeah its strange, its like it needs a preamp, through the headphones my ears would blow up through a 1000w amp nada, maybe Ill try the headphone out? I would start at rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreally low volume. ps to all
EV is shipping me some new amps, if I ever get the axe 2 we can finally start comparing sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh.

Back
Top Bottom