ElectricLadyLunch

@Burgs, thank you for all the great tones you share on this forum. I have enjoyed countless hours playing with your little creations!

I do have one question about your setup...how loud do you play when you record your YouTube videos? is it in the 90+db range? Or do you record direct to your DAW? The reason I ask is because sometimes your patches are a little dark on my system and definitely don't have the presence or treble I hear in your videos. I usually play quietly, around 80-85db in my little studio and I'm wondering if the Fletcher-Muson curve is getting me since I'm not monitoring as loud as you are? Also wondering if anyone else has had this experience with using your patches?

Anyway, thanks again...you are an awesome player and very generous to share your work.

This coulda been a "Gift of Tone". Heck, this IS a gift of tone!
You never asked! But you're welcome. There will be more. I have two months off the road now...
I lost an hour this morning playing with this preset and my Silver Sky. I think I’ll gig it tonight as is it’s so good.
Let me know if you do and if it works OK, Ian. I hope you have a great gig!
I'm just assuming there will be a Burgs offering included in Gift of Tone, because everything Burgs does Just. Sounds. So. Good.
There will be many, Dave. Probably not under that banner, though, as I wasn't asked. And thank you, your comment means a lot.
yeah this preset is freaking awesome, and Brett your playing is awesome too. Just business as usual for you!
Thanks, Kyle. I'm glad you're digging it!
Great stuff as usual, Burgs. It's time for you to revisit your love of the 'Brown Sound' with an updated preset :cool:
Ooh. I'm not sure if I have the skills to better that one. But I will try..!
@Burgs, thank you for all the great tones you share on this forum. I have enjoyed countless hours playing with your little creations!

I do have one question about your setup...how loud do you play when you record your YouTube videos? is it in the 90+db range? Or do you record direct to your DAW? The reason I ask is because sometimes your patches are a little dark on my system and definitely don't have the presence or treble I hear in your videos. I usually play quietly, around 80-85db in my little studio and I'm wondering if the Fletcher-Muson curve is getting me since I'm not monitoring as loud as you are? Also wondering if anyone else has had this experience with using your patches?

Anyway, thanks again...you are an awesome player and very generous to share your work.
When I voice these, it's usually on a desktop PreSonus R80 system at 90dB+. That, despite being dangerously loud, gives me a fairly good idea of the top-end I can expect at battle volume which can be up to another 10-15dB again. I only back them off when I'm listening specifically for bass response. When they're quiet(ish) and you can still hear/feel the bass, that tells me it's usually enough. Thank you for your kind comment, I appreciate it very much.

Last edited:
Perfect as I’ve recently gone down a Hendrix rabbit hole. Will this work for the fm9 firmware 3.01?
I'll fire up my FM9 later today and see what's what. I suspect you'll need FW. 4.00 or later (which I'm running) but even then I noticed Wah block translation issues coming from the FM9 to the Axe's FW. 21.00 with the Mongrel Rig I put up a couple of days ago. However, I'll sort an FM9 version and post it in the relevant board later today or ASAP.

Edit: If you're running 3.01 and have 10 minutes I would ask you to import the preset and let us know how it sits.

I'll fire up my FM9 later today and see what's what. I suspect you'll need FW. 4.00 or later (which I'm running) but even then I noticed Wah block translation issues coming from the FM9 to the Axe's FW. 21.00 with the Mongrel Rig I put up a couple of days ago. However, I'll sort an FM9 version and post it in the relevant board later today or ASAP.

Edit: If you're running 3.01 and have 10 minutes I would ask you to import the preset and let us know how it sits.
Thank you so much. I’m not near my fm9 until later otherwise I would do what you asked

Loaded it in FM9 just now. Almost 51%....
Just tried it out. Great stuff!

Dropped in a 65 Bassguy Bass, based on references I'd seen in a lot of places (including wikipedia, and interviews with Eddie Kramer and others who were there) about it being recorded through a "Bassman Top" and Marshall cabs. Man, that 65 Bassguy Bass gets really close....

An amazing preset! My hands hurt from playing non-stop and my face hurts from smiling. Can't put it down. This is a new favorite for sure. My Strat w/ kinmans is on fire with these tonez. Loaded up on the FM9t(4) and III with no issues. Tweaked it to my route template, ran an out to a real cab, and I'm loving life. Jimi inspired for days - it almost plays itself. Thank you so much for sharing!

Loaded it in FM9 just now. Almost 51%....

Just tried it out. Great stuff!

Dropped in a 65 Bassguy Bass, based on references I'd seen in a lot of places (including wikipedia, and interviews with Eddie Kramer and others who were there) about it being recorded through a "Bassman Top" and Marshall cabs. Man, that 65 Bassguy Bass gets really close....

An amazing preset! My hands hurt from playing non-stop and my face hurts from smiling. Can't put it down. This is a new favorite for sure. My Strat w/ kinmans is on fire with these tonez. Loaded up on the FM9t(4) and III with no issues. Tweaked it to my route template, ran an out to a real cab, and I'm loving life. Jimi inspired for days - it almost plays itself. Thank you so much for sharing!
Encouraging feedback indeed. Thanks blokes, I'm glad you're having some fun with it! Trainwrecks coming up...

Seems to be working fine on my fm9 firmware 3.01.

Edit: actually I noticed the Wah block doesn’t automatically disengage. It only bypasses when I change scenes. Should I just delete the block and re-add it?

Last edited:
Let me know if you do and if it works OK, Ian. I hope you have a great gig!
TL;DR it absolutely slayed for the special set we did last night. I love the rush of running a new preset like this too -- takes it up a notch to make it all work with fresh sounds and effect settings. Keeps me on my toes!

So we did two sets last night. First set was our usual grab bag of Dead, Phish, Talking Heads, Stones -- our jammy stuff. I stayed on my Trainwreck-based preset for that stuff.

Second set was a special all-Ween set we've been working on. For that I used your preset exactly as you posted it. I had to dial the 'verb back a bit after the first song but otherwise it friggin' ROCKED for the Ween stuff. Cut beautifully. Got some delicious feedback going at stage volume. The set slayed so I'll attribute that 100% to this preset. :D

TL;DR it absolutely slayed for the special set we did last night. I love the rush of running a new preset like this too -- takes it up a notch to make it all work with fresh sounds and effect settings. Keeps me on my toes!

So we did two sets last night. First set was our usual grab bag of Dead, Phish, Talking Heads, Stones -- our jammy stuff. I stayed on my Trainwreck-based preset for that stuff.

Second set was a special all-Ween set we've been working on. For that I used your preset exactly as you posted it. I had to dial the 'verb back a bit after the first song but otherwise it friggin' ROCKED for the Ween stuff. Cut beautifully. Got some delicious feedback going at stage volume. The set slayed so I'll attribute that 100% to this preset. :D
Oh, wow. That's the highest compliment I could ever ask for. Thanks so much for taking the time to report back, Ian. You've made my day. Cheers.

Seems to be working fine on my fm9 firmware 3.01.

Edit: actually I noticed the Wah block doesn’t automatically disengage. It only bypasses when I change scenes. Should I just delete the block and re-add it?
Good stuff! Yeah, just reinsert the wah block. I've had to do that a few times too. Cheers.

If I had to take a life raft to a deserted island and all I could grab while the ship was sinking was my Strat/Axe-FX III rig loaded with a single preset..... this would be the one.
I saw this comment yesterday and I was so floored by it I didn't know how to respond. Thanks so much for the kind feedback. I'll keep putting these up in the hope that others have some fun with them too. A deserted island sounds pretty good sometimes...

Back
Top Bottom