Electric guitar melodies over synth pads

claxor

Power User
Guys,

I love it in music where synth pad sounds are held in a slower-paced chord progression, allowing room for melodic electric guitar to solo over it. For the life of me, I can't think of many musical examples of this, except for Yngwie Malmsteen's Icarus Dream Suite Opus 4. There has got to be other examples of this out there.

Stuff like this just kills me!:

Any suggestions of music that also showcase these two instruments together?

The first three and a half minutes of Octavarium by Dream Theater are like this.

(Fun fact: it's actually not a guitar; the keyboard player is using an instrument called a Continuum.)

Neal Schon solo, from the "Journey Live 2001" DVD (the beginning is a bit "shreddy" but it gets more melodic)

John Frusciante has some interesting examples of this in his Enclosure and PBX Funicular Intaglio Zone albums.

Andy James "exit through the ashes". Andy is a phenomenal guitar player. Some nice melodies and builds up to the shred.

I've seen Steve Stevens do some cool things with pads from a roland synth and a classic guitar

Vai does it LIVE on a few songs that he extends like THE CRYING MACHINE

But- this isn't synth/pad but the Steve Vai song "I'm Becoming" is pretty fucking awesome- it's just a sustainer system with the volume barely above zero- and it has that kinda vibe

Back
Top Bottom