Electric/Acoustic Rig

I can't carry much weight due to back problems, so I'm thinking of a unique electric/acoustic rig. That would be Strat and Yamaha SLG (great guitar, no joking) through axe to powered monitor. Simple and very versatile.

But I prefer guitar cabs to frfr. So the impossible question is this: does anybody know a guitar cab or ss amp (I would use amp's return) that I could use for electric/acoustic sounds?

I suppose this is not possible, anyway opinions are welcome.

Johnny Guitar said:
I can't carry much weight due to back problems, so I'm thinking of a unique electric/acoustic rig. That would be Strat and Yamaha SLG (great guitar, no joking) through axe to powered monitor. Simple and very versatile.

But I prefer guitar cabs to frfr. So the impossible question is this: does anybody know a guitar cab or ss amp (I would use amp's return) that I could use for electric/acoustic sounds?

don´t know if i understand right...you´re playing directly to the pa, but for monitoring only you want a guitar cab...? that´s pretty useless i think...you´re not hearing the same as what´s going through the pa...???
anyway...i guess the new atomic-combo could be the thing for you...
best, rudi

Not really. ;)

What I need is a small solution that serves me for small gigs (just bring my amp or monitor and Axe), and for bigger gigs I still can use it for personal monitor and send the signal directly from Axe to PA.

But I don't know of any cab that's useful for acoustic and electric tones (not talking about frfr, but electric guitar cabs).

Johnny Guitar said:

The Axe with FRFR is an extremly versatile electric/acoustic rig.
Why do you prefere regular guitar cab to FRFR ??
Naturally you can do it with a guitar cab and ss poweramp, but you are limiting the tones available, and I believe your acoustic tone is going to suffer a lot.
I tried for fun to go acoustic-Ultra-Carr Rambler combo at bedroom/TV volumes, and I wouldn´t use that ever on a stage.
I think that if you really want to use a conventional cab, you´d have to look for something like a EV 12L or similar flat(ish) speaker, but you are still hampering the acoustic tone + those speakers weigh a ton - so for a guy with back problems, I´d think it less than ideal.
For a rig like the one you want, I think there are two solutions
1) FRFR (like a small, lightweight, and acording to reviews on this forum good sounding Verve 8ma)
2) regular guitar cab + ss poweramp AND small acoustic combo like an AER compact or Shireking 120. Those are lightweight small combo, that your back will love.

I prefer conventional guitar cabs because I've been not able (yet) to get a real amp sound from AxeFx through studio monitors (my fault, not Axe's fault). I know it doesn't have to sound like an amp, but like a miced amp. I work usually with all kinds of modelers (all Pod's, all Boss Gt's, VG88, Digitech 2120 and 1101, Tonelab's, I've had them all) and I know the difference between a modeller and an amp. And I can say Axe is light years from all the others.

But I don't want to invest in an expensive monitor to get the same results. I repeat I've tweaked all the modellers available, and get decent results from them, but when I play on stage I still miss something.

I'll probably try FBT Verve 8ma or RCF Art 10a, and see how it goes, because the other option (poweramp + guitar cab + acoustic amp) wouldn't simplify my actual rig, and I want Axe to do EVERYTHING. Is that too much to ask for?

Johnny Guitar said:
I prefer conventional guitar cabs because I've been not able (yet) to get a real amp sound from AxeFx through studio monitors (my fault, not Axe's fault). I know it doesn't have to sound like an amp, but like a miced amp. I work usually with all kinds of modelers (all Pod's, all Boss Gt's, VG88, Digitech 2120 and 1101, Tonelab's, I've had them all) and I know the difference between a modeller and an amp. And I can say Axe is light years from all the others.

But I don't want to invest in an expensive monitor to get the same results. I repeat I've tweaked all the modellers available, and get decent results from them, but when I play on stage I still miss something.

I'll probably try FBT Verve 8ma or RCF Art 10a, and see how it goes, because the other option (poweramp + guitar cab + acoustic amp) wouldn't simplify my actual rig, and I want Axe to do EVERYTHING. Is that too much to ask for?
i guess definitely too much is wanting a great accoustic sound through a guitar cab...;-)

rudomat said:
i guess definitely too much is wanting a great accoustic sound through a guitar cab...;-)

Yes, you're right, and I knew it before posting my question. But I had to ask, just in case... ;)

Back
Top Bottom