• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

    Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Electric/Acoustic Rig

I can't carry much weight due to back problems, so I'm thinking of a unique electric/acoustic rig. That would be Strat and Yamaha SLG (great guitar, no joking) through axe to powered monitor. Simple and very versatile.

But I prefer guitar cabs to frfr. So the impossible question is this: does anybody know a guitar cab or ss amp (I would use amp's return) that I could use for electric/acoustic sounds?

I suppose this is not possible, anyway opinions are welcome.
 

rudomat

Inspired
Johnny Guitar said:
I can't carry much weight due to back problems, so I'm thinking of a unique electric/acoustic rig. That would be Strat and Yamaha SLG (great guitar, no joking) through axe to powered monitor. Simple and very versatile.

But I prefer guitar cabs to frfr. So the impossible question is this: does anybody know a guitar cab or ss amp (I would use amp's return) that I could use for electric/acoustic sounds?

I suppose this is not possible, anyway opinions are welcome.
don´t know if i understand right...you´re playing directly to the pa, but for monitoring only you want a guitar cab...? that´s pretty useless i think...you´re not hearing the same as what´s going through the pa...???
anyway...i guess the new atomic-combo could be the thing for you...
best, rudi
 
Not really. ;)

What I need is a small solution that serves me for small gigs (just bring my amp or monitor and Axe), and for bigger gigs I still can use it for personal monitor and send the signal directly from Axe to PA.

But I don't know of any cab that's useful for acoustic and electric tones (not talking about frfr, but electric guitar cabs).
 

Rocket Brother

Power User
Johnny Guitar said:
I can't carry much weight due to back problems, so I'm thinking of a unique electric/acoustic rig. That would be Strat and Yamaha SLG (great guitar, no joking) through axe to powered monitor. Simple and very versatile.

But I prefer guitar cabs to frfr. So the impossible question is this: does anybody know a guitar cab or ss amp (I would use amp's return) that I could use for electric/acoustic sounds?

I suppose this is not possible, anyway opinions are welcome.
The Axe with FRFR is an extremly versatile electric/acoustic rig.
Why do you prefere regular guitar cab to FRFR ??
Naturally you can do it with a guitar cab and ss poweramp, but you are limiting the tones available, and I believe your acoustic tone is going to suffer a lot.
I tried for fun to go acoustic-Ultra-Carr Rambler combo at bedroom/TV volumes, and I wouldn´t use that ever on a stage.
I think that if you really want to use a conventional cab, you´d have to look for something like a EV 12L or similar flat(ish) speaker, but you are still hampering the acoustic tone + those speakers weigh a ton - so for a guy with back problems, I´d think it less than ideal.
For a rig like the one you want, I think there are two solutions
1) FRFR (like a small, lightweight, and acording to reviews on this forum good sounding Verve 8ma)
2) regular guitar cab + ss poweramp AND small acoustic combo like an AER compact or Shireking 120. Those are lightweight small combo, that your back will love.
 
I prefer conventional guitar cabs because I've been not able (yet) to get a real amp sound from AxeFx through studio monitors (my fault, not Axe's fault). I know it doesn't have to sound like an amp, but like a miced amp. I work usually with all kinds of modelers (all Pod's, all Boss Gt's, VG88, Digitech 2120 and 1101, Tonelab's, I've had them all) and I know the difference between a modeller and an amp. And I can say Axe is light years from all the others.

But I don't want to invest in an expensive monitor to get the same results. I repeat I've tweaked all the modellers available, and get decent results from them, but when I play on stage I still miss something.

I'll probably try FBT Verve 8ma or RCF Art 10a, and see how it goes, because the other option (poweramp + guitar cab + acoustic amp) wouldn't simplify my actual rig, and I want Axe to do EVERYTHING. Is that too much to ask for?
 

rudomat

Inspired
Johnny Guitar said:
I prefer conventional guitar cabs because I've been not able (yet) to get a real amp sound from AxeFx through studio monitors (my fault, not Axe's fault). I know it doesn't have to sound like an amp, but like a miced amp. I work usually with all kinds of modelers (all Pod's, all Boss Gt's, VG88, Digitech 2120 and 1101, Tonelab's, I've had them all) and I know the difference between a modeller and an amp. And I can say Axe is light years from all the others.

But I don't want to invest in an expensive monitor to get the same results. I repeat I've tweaked all the modellers available, and get decent results from them, but when I play on stage I still miss something.

I'll probably try FBT Verve 8ma or RCF Art 10a, and see how it goes, because the other option (poweramp + guitar cab + acoustic amp) wouldn't simplify my actual rig, and I want Axe to do EVERYTHING. Is that too much to ask for?
i guess definitely too much is wanting a great accoustic sound through a guitar cab...;-)
 
rudomat said:
i guess definitely too much is wanting a great accoustic sound through a guitar cab...;-)
Yes, you're right, and I knew it before posting my question. But I had to ask, just in case... ;)
 
Top Bottom