what do you think?

• love it!

Votes: 100 92.6%
  • hate it!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • meh...

Votes: 8 7.4%

• Total voters
Interesting and musically very nice. I would have called this "Tape Delay Attempt" instead of Capistan attempt though, no? Unless you're trying to recreate what I found to be the ways in which the Capistan is NOT like a Echoplex ;)

Interesting and musically very nice. I would have called this "Tape Delay Attempt" instead of Capistan attempt though, no? Unless you're trying to recreate what I found to be the ways in which the Capistan is NOT like a Echoplex ;)

I thought he was trying to make it sound like the el capistan, which IMO he did. Whether or not the EC sounds just like an echoplex is really not the point as far as I can tell. Regardless of whether or not you think it sounds like an echoplex, quite a few people including myself think it's a very nice sounding pedal. If I was still running a pedalboard regularly, I think it's safe to say I would have one on the board.

D

Wow. Sounds fantastic. I really think this is the best delay setting I've heard anyone get out of the Axe. It's the first time I've been really, truly happy with the delay and it's ability to sound like some of my favorite pedal/rack delays.

And I think it very much proves the point of why we need a tape delay built into the Axe. This sounds amazing, but needing to use a delay, peq and a drive block all to get this specific (and highly sought-after) delay sound is sacrificing a lot of valuable other tools just for a delay sound.

And I think it very much proves the point of why we need a tape delay built into the Axe. This sounds amazing, but needing to use a delay, peq and a drive block all to get this specific (and highly sought-after) delay sound is sacrificing a lot of valuable other tools just for a delay sound.

Couldn't agree more. heck, model the El Capistan. :)

Last edited:
Not to get all overly effusive or anything, but I really think this is the best delay I've heard come out of the Axe. I've been a little disappointed with the delays in the Axe, I guess because I don't have the know-how to program them as sophisticatedly as Don has done here. And so I've spent a lot of time playing around with the other effects (most of which are fantastic) and focusing on getting great sounds out of amp/cab combos, with which I've had great luck.

Finally playing with these delay settings, I'm back to where I was pre-Axe, where I could just get lost for hours playing in the delay swamp. I had almost forgotten how fun it was to play that way and I'm really thrilled that the Axe is finally filling that final hole for me!

I'm back to where I was pre-Axe, where I could just get lost for hours playing in the delay swamp. I had almost forgotten how fun it was to play that way and I'm really thrilled that the Axe is finally filling that final hole for me!

thanks, man!
The highest praise I could've asked for! :)

Being able to tweak a delay-heavy preset to sound nice: kudos.
Having that preset dl'ed over 100 times - so even if I delete/forget the setting, knowing it's out there, immortal...

sweet...

I never tried an EC nor listened to a clip of it, so I can't judge how close this patch is.
But this clip sounds great!! Thanks for your effort and sharing the patch.
Already d'loaded, will try it tomorrow.

Sounds great. Best tape delay tone I have heard from the axe. I dont have the el cap anymore to compare it to directly but This sure seems like one of the tones in the el cap.
Nicely done!

I stumbled across a very cool delay pedal, the 'Red Witch Titan', which has three separate delays in one stomp unit, that can be run in series or parallel plus a modulation loop on the first delay.

I bring this up not to plug the pedal itself but to plug the quite extensive, hands on, fact filled demo for it.

Paying particular attention to the settings relative to the sweet sounds that were being produced as Ben went along, made for a great learning tool for me, useful for dialing in some really cool delay effects on my Ultra.

This very cool demo is Here: http://redwitchanalogpedals.com/Titan.aspx

I hope someone else will find this info as useful as it was to me.

Happy trails to you!

Johnny

Last edited:
Nice sound..great job..thanks for sharring...One Q:
can you do Time Age from El Capistan on Axe Ultra?

Nice sound..great job..thanks for sharring...One Q:
can you do Time Age from El Capistan on Axe Ultra?

I assume you mean 'Tape Age'
To my ears, the 'tape' is already pretty worn out in my preset. :)
If you need more 'damage' to the signal, turn up drive in the delay block, or mess around with the tape drive block after it (drive, tone, low cut, high cut] Bias also might be interesting - haven't tried that yet.
You could also add white noise or ringmodulation.

Hi Don, love the tone however im confused as to how to adjust the delay feedback...i cant seem to adjust it to hv more or less. Appreciate your help in this, thx :)

Back
Top Bottom