EHX sues Mooer

I suppose lines of code are a bit different than a circuit. Ironic in some regards as EHX themselves have rolled out copies of the Tube Screamer, OCD, Klon, Rat etc.... they are hardly the only brand to do so of course.

Perhaps more interesting, is if things with a fairly unique algorithm, like the FreqOut! Pedal could have any degree of protection.

I see lots of folks wish Cliff would design a block in the Axe which does the same thing, but, could Digitech have any legal argument against that ?

Or perhaps it’s simply that it is a line by line copy of the code that was the issue.

Glad EHX won, but it sounds like a moral victory. 2 years and less than a 6-figure settlement? Surely, they spent that in lawyers and lost time.

They also made the Tender Octave MKI a rather desireable collectible, ironically selling for as much, if not more, than a used micro POG

Nearly 6 figures could be $75,000.....

The local ambulance chaser law firm commercials I see on tv have their clients bragging about collecting half million dollar settlements for simple traffic accidents.

I don’t think I’d be too proud of 2 years litigation netting “nearly 6 figures”

I suppose lines of code are a bit different than a circuit. Ironic in some regards as EHX themselves have rolled out copies of the Tube Screamer, OCD, Klon, Rat etc.... they are hardly the only brand to do so of course.

Perhaps more interesting, is if things with a fairly unique algorithm, like the FreqOut! Pedal could have any degree of protection.

I see lots of folks wish Cliff would design a block in the Axe which does the same thing, but, could Digitech have any legal argument against that ?

Or perhaps it’s simply that it is a line by line copy of the code that was the issue.
It's not likely that Mooer copied in the manner of lines of code or algorithms. They probably just bought the DSP same chip as EHX and copy-pasted the firmware. The article seems to suggest this as well.

Last edited:
That is a surprising win.

I remember when Hauwei routers used to ship with photocopies of the Cisco 509 manual. :)

I'm sure piracy of this type is an underground industry of itself. I've often been suspicious of the Blizzard wiCICLE and the Donner DMX512 wireless lighting systems. I picked up some of the Donner wireless stuff... it comes with a Blizzard manual!

I imagine a lot of electronic products like these are manufactured in the same facility. There might be tiny differences between them- just enough to avoid infringements.

Back
Top Bottom