Ehx pedals as poweramp?

My name is mud

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
Hi
i’m curious about these small power amp pedals (5 mm and magnum) as I have a real cab here, it can be fun to try .
Some of you use them ? Can you play at low volume? and… are they loud enough if you want to gig ? Share me your experience with them !
are they flat eq?
Is the Seymour Duncan poweramp much better ? (And why)
Thank you

I use two 44 Magnums in conjunction with Lehle Little Dual II so I can change between cab A and B, or use both at the same time. You also get rid of ground loop noise. 44 Magnum is more than enough for what I need at home, and I’ve gigged with them succesfully. I can hardly get past 9 ’o clock, maybe 1 ’o clock is the maximum I’ve used at live shows when I was gigging.

Currently using 2 Ehx 44 Magnums into 2 Mesa 112s with Axefx3 at home. Also have Matrix GT1000Fx into 2 FR Cabs. Even though I've swapped the amplification back and forth several times between these 2 cab pairs, I always prefer the sound of the 44 Magnims for low volume playing - go figure!

Edit - I use these with the mesa Cabs since its possible they might not be completely flat, however I notice no significant eq difference to the Matrix when running them into FRFR (they just seem slightly warmer to me which is maybe why I like them), and others here have stated that they are pretty flat. Not sure I would use them for full volume playing as they do start to distort when turned up beyond half or so but with the knob barely turned on they are extremely loud and clean in my basement.

Last edited:
I use two 44 Magnums in conjunction with Lehle Little Dual II so I can change between cab A and B, or use both at the same time. You also get rid of ground loop noise. 44 Magnum is more than enough for what I need at home, and I’ve gigged with them succesfully. I can hardly get past 9 ’o clock, maybe 1 ’o clock is the maximum I’ve used at live shows when I was gigging.
With only one you have ground noise ?

With only one you have ground noise ?
I remember using one without the Lehle being noisier. I also changed the audio cables so could be that also. It’s an amplifier, so if you have any noise in your signal it’s gonna amplify that as well.

I have found the 44s sensitive to ground loops - currently, the way I have them positioned/plugged in they are quiet, but at times I had ground loops where my Matrix would not plugged in the same way and to same speakers.

I use a Harley Benton GPA-100 at home (2x12) and at rehearsal (4x12). It makes the FM3 sounding like the real amps without any compromise. The volume is perfectly adjustable, it is great at home and loud enough for a stage.
Having tried the factory IRs and three bought packages, I am still struggeling with the sound of IRs. Using a real cab makes the FM3 sound so good, that I just have sold a JCM 800, that I used for 30 years. The Skull Crusher though a real cab is simply better at any volume.
At most places there are cabs on stage and these new small amps fit in the guitar case. Great.

The EHX pedals do not support 4 Ohm cabinets, so watch out for that.

I use a Harley Benton GPA-100 at home (2x12) and at rehearsal (4x12). It makes the FM3 sounding like the real amps without any compromise. The volume is perfectly adjustable, it is great at home and loud enough for a stage.
Having tried the factory IRs and three bought packages, I am still struggeling with the sound of IRs. Using a real cab makes the FM3 sound so good, that I just have sold a JCM 800, that I used for 30 years. The Skull Crusher though a real cab is simply better at any volume.
At most places there are cabs on stage and these new small amps fit in the guitar case. Great.
How are you connecting the fm3 and the gpa-100? Do you need to boost the output block level?

I'm connecting the output 2 of the fm3 to the amp and it doesn't have enough volume, even with the output 2 volume knob all the way up, with output block set at level 0, and amp level -12, master about 5

Doesnt seem to output same power as a mooer baby bomb that i also use

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom