Wish EhX Mel9

Doesn't that pedal use sample playback to emulate the tape loops of the original Mellotron ? Seems like it would be rather tough to do in the Axe if that is the case, as you'd need physical memory for the PCM sample data etc

+1

Doesn't that pedal use sample playback to emulate the tape loops of the original Mellotron ? Seems like it would be rather tough to do in the Axe if that is the case, as you'd need physical memory for the PCM sample data etc

It is not is not a PCM triggered sample, it is audio processing/modeling. Like the Roland V-Guitar but without the Hex Pickup. The proof of that is that you can slide, vibrato, scratch, bend, tap, whammy or dive-bomb notes without any glitches or tracking issues. It reproduces all the playing nuances

Last edited:
I had some varying luck with it. I think for best performance you need to make sure you get a really strong signal into it.

As an alternative you could try Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 which is $99 software. It's polyphonic pitch to MIDI and tracks reasonably well using the Axe III with 128 samples 3msec latency. I've downloaded a bunch of free vsti's for piano/synth. For commercial mellotron offerings maybe Toontrack EZKeys Mellotoon or Arturia Mellotron V Software Instrument.

As an alternative you could try Jam Origin Midi Guitar 2 which is $99 software. It's polyphonic pitch to MIDI and tracks reasonably well using the Axe III with 128 samples 3msec latency. I've downloaded a bunch of free vsti's for piano/synth. For commercial mellotron offerings maybe Toontrack EZKeys Mellotoon or Arturia Mellotron V Software Instrument.

Of course, but that is a completely different approach. It is MIDI (with all the known inconveniences) and it requires a computer.

+10!
By design that pedal tracks (only) lower strings. Is enough though; listen to Vernon Reeds live intro of Love Rears Its Ugly Head.

@Reaper - do you have an example link where Vernon plays the intro of LRIUH with the Mel 9? I tried but only find him triggering the sample - would love to check it out.

+10!
By design that pedal tracks (only) lower strings. Is enough though; listen to Vernon Reeds live intro of Love Rears Its Ugly Head.

Where did you get that information? The MEL9 and all the Electro Harmonix 9 series pedals "track" all the strings. They are full range.
BTW, they do not "track", because they do not convert the signal to MIDI or to voltage; they are modelers. They "process" the audio signal without conversions or trackings, like the Axe-FX or any other modeler

Where did you get that information? The MEL9 and all the Electro Harmonix 9 series pedals "track" all the strings. They are full range.
BTW, they do not "track", because they do not convert the signal to MIDI or to voltage; they are modelers. They "process" the audio signal without conversions or trackings, like the Axe-FX or any other modeler
I could very well be wrong but 'remember' (at least I think I did 🤗 ) reading it in the manual (at the time thought about buying one) and Vernon using the term tracking in this rig rundown.

Last edited:
I believe it's in here somewhere (around 22 min I think; the Mel9 comes in view there)) he has a huge amount of gear :)

Thank you!
It is at 20:20. And for extra friki, he connects the MEL9 to a Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl :alien:

That's a great rig rundown - Doug Wimbish has such energy and is really creative with his pedals. Cool that Billy Cox is in there. Vernon has a lot of stuff going on, let's just say that. But I dig their enthusiasm for the gear and getting creative with it.

Back
Top Bottom