Egnater Tweaker 40-alike in the Axe-FX 3?

Dolphinado

Inspired
I’ve been curious lately to see if I could replicate the tone from my old Egnater Tweaker 40 1x12 combo in the Axe FX 3. It’s kinda tricky, both because there is no amp model for the Tweaker, and because the Tweaker is known for a wide variety of switches that uh, tweak the voicing. But, IMO, no matter how you tweaked the voicing on it, it still had a pretty distinctive voice that poked through - I think this video does a good job of showing it:

I’m specifically after the mid / high gain crunch.

So far, the closest I’ve found is @2112 ’s Bogner Ecstasy preset (S03 Euro Uber Red with a TS808), but it’s still not quite it (and I’d like to see if I can achieve it without a TS808 or other colored boost in front).

I might be the only one, but has anyone else tried replicating crunch tones in an Egnater Tweaker 40 in the Axe FX? What’d you use? What sounds closest to you?

And for folks who understand amp design, is there an amp model / series of advanced tweaks I could apply to an amp model that’d get me closer? (No idea if there are schematics for this thing floating around that’d make it obvious what amp circuit designs already in the Axe FX are its closest relatives.)

Last edited:
It is, but IMO it's not as successful at it as the marketing material claims - the "USA-BRIT-AC" EQ voicing switch does change the character, but I think it's pretty subtle. Like, I think the amp still has a pretty distinct identity even if you switch between those options. The other switches on there (Modern/Vintage, Clean/Hot, Normal/Bright, Deep/Tight, Clean/Hot) are pretty well covered by the Ideal amp parameters in Axe-Edit, so I'm not too worried about those - more just trying to get at whatever the underlying sound is.

I think the video demonstrates it better than I can describe it, but it's vaguely Mesa-y, but with sort of warm, bell-like overtones on top. At the very least, I know the 40W version has 6L6 power tubes and has a 50-watt version of a Celestion G12H-30 in it, but that's about it. (The 15W version has 6V6 tubes).

Last edited:
Take you favorite amp with a PEQ block in front of it and boost one of the mid bands like 12dB, then sweep the freq down somewhere between 600 and 100 Hz...there's just a bunch of low mids getting boosted pre gain in that tone with presence brought down low as hell, easy peasy. Distortion circuit makes a little bit of difference between amps but pre gain EQ gets you 97% there regarding distortion characteristic, especially like here where it's all preamp distortion

Bump - wondering if anyone’s had any luck in replicating an Egnater Tweaker in Fractal land in the past few years?

Bruce loves Bogners , basically a smoothed Marshall with more compression , Based on a Jcm800 like his Amp class amp
from that tone Something like the Brit 800 Mod with a few tweaks or a FAS Hot rod should get you in the ballpark of the Brit Hot settings
the key things to watch , change the bright cap to smooth out the top end or use the preamp Hi cut , use those 2 controls to darken the tone turn up the compression in the preamp
Egnaters are heavily compressed

The Tweakers are interesting amps. If I’d had the funds over a decade ago when I was in High School I’d have gotten the Tweaker 40. I did end up with the Tweaker 15, and it’s a neat little amp. Haven’t used it since getting the Axe Fx though, as the Axe goes even further in the tweaking department! Neat amps though!

Bruce loves Bogners , basically a smoothed Marshall with more compression , Based on a Jcm800 like his Amp class amp
from that tone Something like the Brit 800 Mod with a few tweaks or a FAS Hot rod should get you in the ballpark of the Brit Hot settings
the key things to watch , change the bright cap to smooth out the top end or use the preamp Hi cut , use those 2 controls to darken the tone turn up the compression in the preamp
Egnaters are heavily compressed
Thanks! This is a helpful starting point.

Weirdly I suspected the Tweaker might have some kind of Fender Blackface lineage in there too (even with its BRIT switch engaged), but it’s hard for me to say.

I had 2 Egnater amps, the Tourmaster and the Renegade. I remember both sounded good. Tourmaster was 100watts with a HUGE toroidal transformer that gave Orange amps a run for their money, weight wise! Had to sell it as it was NOT tour friendly. Renegade got substituted by a MESA amp.

@Dolphinado Please share your successes! The singer/rhythm player in my band has the Tweaker combo and an FM3 and hasn't started using the FM3 because he couldn't get close to the Egnater tone.

Back
Top Bottom